Sign in to follow this  
Yeti

Yeti, PoBoy and the Capt. Test Their Suspension

PoBoyBlues, Capt. Technology and I needed to test out new stuff this weekend. I had put some new plastics and stickers on the BRP and wanted to see if they added 10 hp as claimed. :D (Actually I wanted to test out the new throttle stuff and see how the pick-up worked transporting the bike around.) PoBoy just had his suspension on his 200EX done by Precision Concepts and wanted to wring it out. Capt., well he just got his 300EX and wanted to see if he could put a few more scratches on the bike so it wouldn't look so new. Pine Valley to Corral Canyon seemed to be the ride since it was so damn hot out at Ocotillo.

We unloaded and geared up:

img0377up1.jpg

The Pig won't be clean for long. Don't the new plastics look awesome? Oh, and I went back to the stock tank too:

img0378de6.jpg

We rode out Pine Valley and then turned off down Kernan. PoBoy was feeling like crap so he took up the rear, I wasn't feeling much better (and I'm really slow) so I rode in the middle with the Capt. on point. Waaaaay out on point:

img0379ct0.jpg

Capt.: "What the hell's taking you guys so long?"

img0380cu6.jpg

Me: "Well, see I'm taking pictures of PoBoy taking pictures of me and . . . did I mention I'm slow?" :D

img0382qd4.jpg

SO we slowly made out way down one side of Kernan and up the other to Four Corners:

img0384un3.jpg

Me riding up Kernan on the BRP:

img0773yp0.jpg

PoBoy arriving at Four Corners:

img0387di3.jpg

From Four Corners we took Trail 2 over to the campground. I think Trail 2 might be one of my favorite tight trails in the world. Or at least in my very limited experience.

img0389ys4.jpg

We topped off our water and I dunked my head under the pump since it was hot:

img0776jk6.jpg

and we watched this guy tempt Darwin by doing donuts on a quad, with no helmet, while smoking a cigarette:

img0778pm1.jpg

After deciding he wasn't going to off himself or burn down the campground we took off up Spur Meadow trail.

Looking back down the trail. PoBoy: "Where the hell is Yeti??"

img0767vy1.jpg

South end of a north-bound Yeti:

img0772ng1.jpg

Beautiful ride up to where it meets the road. The Pig isn't so clean anymore:

img0394kf5.jpg

At that point we turned around and did it all in reverse. No pictures from the trip back since we picked up the pace quite a bit, especially once we were back on the Pine Valley trail. Overall great ride with no crashes and no mechanicals. I stalled going back up Kernan going over some rocks in a tight left hand corner. The damn BRP decided it just didn't want to start. HUGE thanks to PoBoy for kicking it over with me about eleventy-billion times. He finally got it to start after both of us just about gave up. I am seriously considering putting a magic button on the BRP even with the additional weight.

All in all, a great ride!! :D And I slept REALLY well that night.

Thanks for the write up. Nice pics. Appears like you all had some fun at CC.

Love the quad pic. No shirt, gravel, logs. Grab a little too much traction in a donut and you get launched. Guess he's never had the old betadine scrub and tweezers treatment at the local urgent care.

img0778pm1.jpg

there's a reason the phrase "quadtard" was coined

Yeah, that term might've been used a few times while we were watching him. :D

I looked into e start for the BRP today. Baja Designs doesn't make 'em any more and the other company that does wants $700 for just their parts and then you need to buy like $500 in Honda parts. :D:D Guess I'll have to keep kicking it.

Looks fun, :P but to make it better "just add water"!

I want to get past the dust. There might be some rain late next week. :lol:

PoBoy just had his suspension on his 200EX done by Precision Concepts and wanted to wring it out.

How did the suspension mods work out? I hope that they worked better than on my EXC. Precision Concepts did the revalve on both the forks and shock, put on a bladder conversion kit and never pressurized the shock. I know this, because when the shock seal blew last summer up at Troy Meadows and later I took the shock apart to replace the seal head, the schrader valve wasn't screwed into it's fitting and just fell out on the bench top when I removed the little valve cap. :lol: I would never go to the one in El Cajon again. Maybe I will have the Precision Concepts in Riverside work on the TE, though.

PoBoy just had his suspension on his 200EX done by Precision Concepts and wanted to wring it out.

How did the suspension mods work out? I hope that they worked better than on my EXC. Precision Concepts did the revalve on both the forks and shock, put on a bladder conversion kit and never pressurized the shock. I know this, because when the shock seal blew last summer up at Troy Meadows and later I took the shock apart to replace the seal head, the schrader valve wasn't screwed into it's fitting and just fell out on the bench top when I removed the little valve cap. :) I would never go to the one in El Cajon again. Maybe I will have the Precision Concepts in Riverside work on the TE, though.

PoBoy's suspension worked well enough that he's going to have his 530 done in the next couple of weeks. Capt. Safety's 300 and 530 were also done by them as was my BRP (before I bought it). All of us are very happy with our bikes. Maybe yours was just one of those things . . .

ugh and i was thinking of precision el cajon for mine soon.... :)

any other thoughts, other than up to riverside???

could trailer/truck it i suppose...just a PITA distance wise...

Blind :)....is prolly not realizing his fat arse is WAY over the DRZ preferred limit...... :)

Blind :)....is prolly not realizing his fat arse is WAY over the DRZ preferred limit...... :)

I was quite happy with PC in El Cajon. I'll probably need to head back soon for a service, I think the rear shocking is leaking. It's been a couple years, I think.

fn

Mine came with PC suspension on it. My ass is apparently heavier than the guy I got my bike from so I's going to head out there in the near future to have a heavier spring put on the rear shock.

the schrader valve wasn't screwed into it's fitting and just fell out on the bench top when I removed the little valve cap. :) I would never go to the one in El Cajon again. Maybe I will have the Precision Concepts in Riverside work on the TE, though.

Ditto-Find somewhere else to have your suspension work. Precision Concepts Sucks!

Ditto-Find somewhere else to have your suspension work. Precision Concepts Sucks!

How about ProPrept? They're located in Escondido. No personal experience but I've heard good things.

http://www.propreptmotocross.com/

I'm not so sure Rudy does European stuff. He knows his Japanese bikes for sure. I like the people up at Riverside Precision Concepts. I just don't like the El Cajon PC <_< .

By the way, I had excellent results on my 2 Kawasaki's by installing Race Tech Gold Valve kits in both the front and rear suspension. :D

How about ProPrept? They're located in Escondido. No personal experience but I've heard good things.

http://www.propreptmotocross.com/

I have used Propept before-no problems with him-honest reliable work. The girl that works the front desk in Precision Concepts in El Cajon is a real b#tch, and their work sucks.

I know a few up in LA that are good but not down here. Trailtrick(Javier) from KTMtalk and ADV rider does good work so I have heard. And Exception Suspension Products in La Crescenta is awesome.

Just got off the phone with Rudy at ProPrept- nice guy. Little cheaper than Precision, but a world of better service and interface.

I'll use him. Blind- give him a call and see if he can help you out.

fn

Just got off the phone with Rudy at ProPrept- nice guy. Little cheaper than Precision, but a world of better service and interface.

I'll use him. Blind- give him a call and see if he can help you out.

fn

If you have an Ohlin's shock-I recommend this guy. He is an Authorized Ohlin's Service Center!

Pettersson Pro Suspension

4091 East La Palma Ave, Suite L

Anaheim, CA 92807

Phone: 714-630-4777

Fax: 714-630-4788

Email: ppsracing@webmaster.com

Full service motorcycle & ATV suspension center. Custom suspension evaluation for on & off road. Trackside support & development services available.

AAAAAAANNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDD this is why i love checking this site more often than i should....

thanks Erick, Dame, and FN...i will be calling them for sure!!! :D

now the harder part of convincing wife of "safety aspect"..... <_<

welp, guess i should get back to earning that all mighty dollar!!

Blind :P

AAAAAAANNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDD this is why i love checking this site more often than i should....

thanks Erick, Dame, and FN...i will be calling them for sure!!! :D

now the harder part of convincing wife of "safety aspect"..... <_<

welp, guess i should get back to earning that all mighty dollar!!

Blind :P

I'll start a new thread in "open discussion" that you can show your wife... stand by

Well, as they say, "Your mileage may vary." All three of us have had good success at PC in El Cajon.

Thanks for the write up. Nice pics. Appears like you all had some fun at CC.

Love the quad pic. No shirt, gravel, logs. Grab a little too much traction in a donut and you get launched. Guess he's never had the old betadine scrub and tweezers treatment at the local urgent care.

In a sick sorta way, I think we were all hoping for a spectacular get off with some bright cherries, purple limbs, and high pitch screaching and moaning.

You ride like this guy was, you ask for pain.

I do take a good pic. if I have to say so myself. :tease:

Well, as they say, "Your mileage may vary." All three of us have had good success at PC in El Cajon.

Try some other place and I gurantee you will have even better success, which means less visit's to the shock repair place. Just my opinion of over 20 years off road shock rebuilding in San Diego.

Try some other place and I gurantee you will have even better success, which means less visit's to the shock repair place. Just my opinion of over 20 years off road shock rebuilding in San Diego.

If it ain't broke. Since I like what they've done for my bike I'll stick with them until they lose my business.

Thanks for the thoughts though.