Sign in to follow this  
Strega

DMV woes

Congrats Chris!! Ride it over here for lunch some time and I'll buy ya one of Charlie's famous sandwiches. B)

Hi everyone! Ted here. Chris, I was gonna say I felt your pain and then yours just kept coming and coming and coming... Wow.

As Roger said, long story short, I too found the sticker under the tank and it WAS CA emission qualled in spite of what the folks from All American KTM predicted. BTW, they were VERY nice and I called them back with that info so they could help the next poor sucker that got "Kalifornicated" by the DMV.

I'm looking for a desert tank for my 98 620 RXC if anyone knows where to buy one. I keep finding all years BUT 98.

Thanks for all the ideas. See you in the dirt!

I've pretty much decided to register it at my wife's uncle's place in AZ.

Anyone riding with a bike registered out of state? I heard the CHP frowns on having an out of state registration when you are a CA resident.

Rant: My $1000 dollar KLR requires $466 in Back fees plus sales tax :( . I thought about registering it in AZ at my friends house or in Missouri at my vacation house. I am even considering riding it to the Ozarks and flying back ( I would love to have a bike back there to use). I am tired of paying High DMV Fees - I paid $400 to bring the VFR in from Nevada and was hit with a $109 yearly registration fee on a $3500 bike. I pay less than that yearly on my 06 Jetta.

When I converted my 98 XR 400 from green sticker to a plate they told me that I had to have an odometer installed on the bike.

I gave them a statement of facts saying that the bike was manufactured without one and suddenly all was well.

It took me seven trips to three different dmvs to finally get my plate. If I ever had to do it again I would register in AZ.

A friend has his plated in AZ and has never had a problem. (The fees are also reasonable in AZ)

Bobby

Anyone riding with a bike registered out of state? I heard the CHP frowns on having an out of state registration when you are a CA resident.

The vehicle code gives you 10 days to register your vehicles once you plant your life here. You can get a ticket if you don't but the only benefit is there are a lot of different states represented in SD due to the military so it may not stand out. I'd register it at your vacation home & keep a utility bill for that home with the reg to prove you live there too. Having a CA license is a snag but you just chose to get that one for the 5 months a year that you're here because your other one expired during your time here.

A statement of facts form accompanied by a vehicle non-operation form documenting the "down" time of the bike before your purchase might work for reducing the fees. Have the previous owner fill out the statement of facts saying it was not operational.

Rant: OR you could just register it in Mexico so you could drive it into our country without any emissions/equipment/insurance requirements. :spiteful: