Chief Gunner

Fat is where it's at

Well I started with the stock "Death Wings" on the XR and ended up with a rear MT21 (130mm) which I like very much on the pig....so as allot of you know I bought a VMax back in June and shortly after buying it I put a brand new dunlop K525 150/70-15 on it with Ken's help at Santee motorcycle supply.

After only just over 4,000 miles it's looking like a slick down the middle so I went hunting for info on a tire that might offer better performance and longer tread life. After looking around and doing some homework I discovered the Metzler ME880 170-80-15 which fits on the VMax (with a minor washer swap).

The reviews from other VMax owners on doing this are great, some are claiming to have gotten 10,000+ miles out of the Metzler so I just bought one and eagerly await it's arrival. :lol:

Here's a pic of a "Before & After" that I found online. I like it, the Metzler has a better profile and it's not so wide that it's going to have a negative effect on the handling too much, everything I have read about them is positive (smoother ride, nice cornering.. etc).

me880.jpg

Sir Mix a Lot would approve...

with a V-Max, you definitely want enough rubber on the road... that's a good looking tire

I'm running a 100 on my XR (street and fire roads only) and I absolutely love it on the street; the bike corners great! If I buy a dirt tire for it, it'll be a 130

the Metzler has a better profile and it's not so wide that it's going to have a negative effect on the handling too much, everything I have read about them is positive (smoother ride, nice cornering.. etc).

Meztler makes some really nice tires......some of their fronts are much more conical than other mfgs so they turn in really nice.....personally, I don't see a lot of benefit to going wider with a tire on a street bike.......I sometimes bump it a bit on my dirt bikes to get a tad more foot print/bite......but I generally stay with the stock size on my street bikes......seem to me that you're flattening (fattening) it out and that *may* slow the response back to the riders input.....then again, at our skill level it may be no BFD.....and I'll readily admit, "fat" does look cooler/sexier :lol::lol:

After only just over 4,000 miles it's looking like a slick ...

... some are claiming to have gotten 10,000+ miles out of the Metzler

Gunz, I think the trick to long tire life is to keep the RPMs somewhere below the V-boost speed and the throttle at less than 50%. But than again, what fun is that?

HP

Gunz, I think the trick to long tire life is to keep the RPMs somewhere below the V-boost speed and the throttle at less than 50%. But than again, what fun is that? HP

I needed some kind of excuse with the Mrs. ...I told her the new tire would smooth the ride out a bit and if she likes it I'll buy the corbin seat and backrest she likes so that she's comfy riding 2 up.

I know the tire will last longer.... because I'm so gentle on the throttle when she's on the bike :lol:

She's so tiny I'm afraid if I twist too hard on the throttle that she'll get blown off :lol:

Seriously though ; She's way cool, lets me have my fun..... once in awhile :blink:

Update; I got the Metzler's installed at Full Throttle Powersports yesterday. Mike hooked me up with mounting and balancing for a killer price. I brought the rear wheel in and he took the old tire off, mounted the new one on the rim and balanced it.

He had a bunch of tires in stock but not the funky sized VMax front (110/90-18) :D ...So I mounted up the rear wheel at home, jumped on the bike and went to Cycle Gear on Convoy and bought an ME880 110/90-18. I got some strange looks in traffic riding with that tire around my waist back to his shop in Santee :huh:

Mike again hooked me up and got the front tire on for me in a very short time.. Thanks again Mike! :D

I will do a write up in the members only local shop thread later, I would highly reccomend Mike at Full Throttle to any of you. :D Great service, Great work, damn good pricing and he get's "it".

The Metzler in the rear has plenty of room and does not rub on the swingarm. Like I hoped they feel great on the road and handle smoothly.

I get to do a nice "Break in ride" today.....My Command holds monthly sanctioned rides to promote safety and safety mentorship for the younger and less experienced riders in our Command. :D

If you have seen the news lately we have lost too many Sailors in fatal accidents on bikes, 3 alone last week. So as a Chief (and a rider) I am stepping up to support safety awareness within our Military riding Community.

If you can get some time off today and feel like going for a ride on pavement I will post in "Who's going riding" with the Details.