Crawdaddy

WEST FEST 2009 - Buena Vista, CO.

Here is one of the stops on the dirt road about 15 miles north of Page on the North side of the Lake.

Just a few miles off our route.

Don

"our" route you say? <_<:D ......that'a boy :D:D

I'm planning for this as well if there is room.

I get the top bunk!

Riding what?

Are you talking about the whole enchilada or just riding a bit out by Don's place and waving goodbye as we head off for ~10 days in Utah/CO.

So far the only folks who've said they're "in" for the whole enchilada are Wayne (Humptythumpy) on his 950S and Roger on his......TBD

Cabin in Buena Vista is already spoken for with 3 players......there will be plenty of camping spaces available for others who join us....

Riding what?

Are you talking about the whole enchilada or just riding a bit out by Don's place and waving goodbye as we head off for ~10 days in Utah/CO.

So far the only folks who've said they're "in" for the whole enchilada are Wayne (Humptythumpy) on his 950S and Roger on his......TBD

Cabin in Buena Vista is already spoken for with 3 players......there will be plenty of camping spaces available for others who join us....

Hi Chris

Just to give you a teaser, if you look in the foreground you can make out the trail we will be ascending out of Glen Canyon onto Kaiparowitz Plateau. These are the cliffs I said we would be ascending in the last photo.

Don

DSC_0495_2_.jpg

NICE :lol: - Keep'em coming Don.........then I won't be the only one taunting/tempting the masses :lol::lol::D;) .......I figure I'll post up 1-2 pics/month of various sights between Page - Moab -Telluride - Buena Vista - Silverton - Valley of the Gods - Burr Trail - Page

NICE :lol: - Keep'em coming Don.........then I won't be the only one taunting/tempting the masses :lol::lol::D;) .......I figure I'll post up 1-2 pics/month of various sights between Page - Moab -Telluride - Buena Vista - Silverton - Valley of the Gods - Burr Trail - Page

This is evil. I start a new job so no vacation time! It’s torture I say, torture!

Riding what?

Its far enough in advance I am determined to make it work. Be it trailering out there and bringing my WRR or camping out or having a different bike whatever, staying some in a hotel, you name it. I need to look at the map and see if any of my family/friends are along the way. I have done 100+ miles in a morning on the WRR street/dirt so if we are doing 200-250 miles a day thats doable if its not all super slab and not on the bike all the time, main limiting factor for me in that regard is ME and the fuel tank not the bike.

so assuming I can get enough time off work I am planning on working toward the whole enchilada as a goal

Riding what?

Its far enough in advance I am determined to make it work. Be it trailering out there and bringing my WRR or camping out or having a different bike whatever, staying some in a hotel, you name it. I need to look at the map and see if any of my family/friends are along the way. I have done 100+ miles in a morning on the WRR street/dirt so if we are doing 200-250 miles a day thats doable if its not all super slab and not on the bike all the time, main limiting factor for me in that regard is ME and the fuel tank not the bike.

so assuming I can get enough time off work I am planning on working toward the whole enchilada as a goal

Jaynen

This may be the longest stretch in between fuel stops. Check with Chris for the other areas. The trail in the photo is about 90 miles of wilderness trails between Page and Escalante Utah. I have driven it many times on my 79 Honda XL250 with a stock fuel tank. If I am enjoying the scenery and not hot dogging I use about 1.5 gallons of fuel one way. You have plenty of time to figure out what kind of range your bike has. You can always bring along a little extra in a portable carry bottle. If that still isn't enough we can alway raid some of Chris' 7 gallon tank.

Don

Interesting thread (to me) today over on ADVRider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401369

Some guy is asking for advice on Smokey Mtn Rd. (4WD) and Cottonwood Rd. (2WD) as connectors between Page and Hwy 12.......I plan on riding both next summer (my tentative plan is to take Cottonwood north to Cannonville initially since that's a big mileage day up to towards Green River.......I'm planning on taking Hole in The Rock/Smokey Mtn back to Page after coming off the Burr Trail.......if you look at the various feedback posts he's received you'll also see some embedded ride reports/pictures from the area.....very cool......sounds like both roads are not an option during/after heavy(?) rains (flash floods/deep mud) so we'll need to check road conditions ahead of time....

You have plenty of time to figure out what kind of range your bike has. You can always bring along a little extra in a portable carry bottle. If that still isn't enough we can alway raid some of Chris' 7 gallon tank.

I'll have way more capacity than I'll need (7.4 gallons)......so yes, I can be "the mother ship/refueling station" if/when necessary....

I have a 1.9 gallon tank and it has .5 gallon reserve so it kicks on for me around 75-80 miles usually but I can usually get another 20-30 miles out of it I just haven't run her empty. The type of riding we will be doing I can keep the DirtBagz on as well and carry a fuel can if I need too.

Are you going to keep the tank full with all that weight tho Chris?

I have a 1.9 gallon tank and it has .5 gallon reserve so it kicks on for me around 75-80 miles usually but I can usually get another 20-30 miles out of it I just haven't run her empty. The type of riding we will be doing I can keep the DirtBagz on as well and carry a fuel can if I need too.

I also have 4, 33oz fuel bottles that can be brought. But we'll only need one bottle to transfer fuel from the mothership :friends:

I'll fill the tank based on my needs and the needs of any others with me :) .....my usual rule of thumb is to fill it all the way up because you never know when you may have to share some gas with a stuck/stranded rider out in BFE, ride off course/get lost, ride out for help and back to a fallen rider with no access to gas, etc., etc.......better to be prepared and have too much gas than to run dry......makes it a bit more of a pig up front, but the majority of the terrain on this trip will be classified as scenic rather than technical so an extra ~20lbs up front isn't a big deal (to me).....now, if I could lose ~20lbs around my waist, THAT would be a big deal :friends: .....I think I should focus on trimming my fat belly before the trip rather than worrying about how much extra weight in gas I might be carrying unnecessarily B)B):D

I'll fill the tank based on my needs and the needs of any others with me :D .....my usual rule of thumb is to fill it all the way up because you never know when you may have to share some gas with a stuck/stranded rider out in BFE, ride off course/get lost, ride out for help and back to a fallen rider with no access to gas, etc., etc.......better to be prepared and have too much gas than to run dry......makes it a bit more of a pig up front, but the majority of the terrain on this trip will be classified as scenic rather than technical so an extra ~20lbs up front isn't a big deal (to me).....now, if I could lose ~20lbs around my waist, THAT would be a big deal :friends: .....I think I should focus on trimming my fat belly before the trip rather than worrying about how much extra weight in gas I might be carrying unnecessarily B):):D

B)

That's correct- the cheapest power to weight improvement is to eat at home, and eat less.

(eating at SeaWorld is acceptable)

I'll fill the tank based on my needs and the needs of any others with me :D .....my usual rule of thumb is to fill it all the way up because you never know when you may have to share some gas with a stuck/stranded rider out in BFE, ride off course/get lost, ride out for help and back to a fallen rider with no access to gas, etc., etc.......better to be prepared and have too much gas than to run dry......makes it a bit more of a pig up front, but the majority of the terrain on this trip will be classified as scenic rather than technical so an extra ~20lbs up front isn't a big deal (to me).....now, if I could lose ~20lbs around my waist, THAT would be a big deal :friends: .....I think I should focus on trimming my fat belly before the trip rather than worrying about how much extra weight in gas I might be carrying unnecessarily B):):D

B)

That's correct- the cheapest power to weight improvement is to eat at home, and eat less.

(eating at SeaWorld is acceptable)

Chris

The trail in my last photo is Smokey Mountain Road. I just did Cottonwood Canyon road two months ago with my brother in law on Hondas with the ladies, dogs and beer chasing in a jeep. We did about 125 miles and used 1.5 gals for each bike. It is a longer way around but easier and faster than Smokey Mountain. It is great also, Grovenor Arch and several slot canyons. I have also done Hole in The Rock Road, which is very flat, straight and easy but the connector to Smokey Mountain was steep and in pretty rough shape last summer when I did it in my jeep.

Don

Cottonwood Canyon.......longer way around but easier and faster than Smokey Mountain.......

That's what I'd read in various posts so that's why I laid it out that way in my draft plan.....that first day to Green River is ~375 miles.....possibly the longest day of the trip......so glad to read your confirmation that you can "Hammer it" on that stretch (not to be confused with "Hammering" another rider...AKA T-Boning another rider...AKA "speedbumping" another rider :friends: )

New month = New pics

Snagged the last available cabin for the rally (hold 3 tightly - 2 comfortably):

RusticCabins.jpg

New month = New pics

Snagged the last available cabin for the rally (hold 3 tightly - 2 comfortably):

It's a good thing I'm skinny.

New month = New pics

It's a good thing I'm skinny.

Chris

If you haul bikes rather than ride them to Page what do you plan for new dates. Could you allow a little more time when you get to page? I am still up in the air about what I will be doing. If you leave enough time so that we would not have to haul ass to Co I would be more inclined to do the whole trip. I like to enjoy the scenery getting there. Also, I slept in my last tent in the Army as an infantry officer 35 years ago. Are there other civilized accomodations nearby in Buena Vista?

Don

Theres a best western and a super 8 according to hotels.com and the super8 is only 59 a night for a 2 adults. I am sure those will fill up closer to the time of the event however.

Once we know more about the route I guess we can figure out what the dates in Buena Vista would be vs nights in what other areas.

Whats the plan for accommodations between Page and Co currently?

Chris

If you haul bikes rather than ride them to Page what do you plan for new dates. Could you allow a little more time when you get to page? I am still up in the air about what I will be doing. If you leave enough time so that we would not have to haul ass to Co I would be more inclined to do the whole trip. I like to enjoy the scenery getting there. Also, I slept in my last tent in the Army as an infantry officer 35 years ago. Are there other civilized accomodations nearby in Buena Vista?

Don

I didn't know you were even thinking about possibly riding the whole enchilada? That would be great.......I suppose we could leave Page on Sunday instead of Monday (if we do a one day drive to Page on Sat with the bikes/trailers).....just want to be in Buena Vista by Thursday night.....goof around in that area on Friday/Sat......

Probably not a very long ride from town to the campground if you stay at a motel in town.....or just pull rank/age and send the young guys to town!!! (but I sorta promised Wayne first dibs on sharing the cabin since he spoke up/confirmed immediately)

If I'm in a sleeping bag anywhere along the route it's by necessity, not choice.....

Current daily plan on general areas to stay (without extra day on way over).....

Motel somewhere in:

Green River first night

Moab 2nd

Quray 3rd

Buena Vista 4th & 5th (campground/motel)

Delores 6th

Glen Canyon 7th (not sure what's available in this area.....may require alternate game plan)

Page 8th

Chris

Don

I didn't know you were even thinking about possibly riding the whole enchilada? That would be great.......I suppose we could leave Page on Sunday instead of Monday (if we do a one day drive to Page on Sat with the bikes/trailers).....just want to be in Buena Vista by Thursday night.....goof around in that area on Friday/Sat......

Probably not a very long ride from town to the campground if you stay at a motel in town.....or just pull rank/age and send the young guys to town!!! (but I sorta promised Wayne first dibs on sharing the cabin since he spoke up/confirmed immediately)

If I'm in a sleeping bag anywhere along the route it's by necessity, not choice.....

Current daily plan on general areas to stay (without extra day on way over).....

Motel somewhere in:

Green River first night

Moab 2nd

Quray 3rd

Buena Vista 4th & 5th (campground/motel)

Delores 6th

Glen Canyon 7th (not sure what's available in this area.....may require alternate game plan)

Page 8th

Chris

This Looks more doable. As far as I can tell the campground is only 5 miles north of the town of Buena Vista so a motel in town would be convenient enough. This is still tentative with me because my wife may be changing my plans with our other commitments. But if I turn on the charm she may be cooperative with her scheduling. We do a lot of entertaining in Page and I am needed to launch and drive the boat etc..

Don

The cabin photo I posted Monday doesn't really qualify as a teaser pic :lol: ......so here's my November contribution to this thread......

Single track (Timberline Trail) in the Taylor park area which is just outside of the WestFest campground in Buena Vista......we WILL be riding here and we WILL NOT be encumbered with luggage when we do since the bags will be back at the motel/campground.......sweet :D

TimberlineTrail.jpg

The cabin photo I posted Monday doesn't really qualify as a teaser pic :lol: ......so here's my November contribution to this thread......

Single track (Timberline Trail) in the Taylor park area which is just outside of the WestFest campground in Buena Vista......we WILL be riding here and we WILL NOT be encumbered with luggage when we do since the bags will be back at the motel/campground.......sweet :D

TimberlineTrail.jpg

Chris

I like it!

Did I read somewhere in another post that you would be going to Ocotillo Wells midNov? I will be in Page over Thanksgiving but I might be able to go to OC another weekend.

Don