Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

Dual-sport Mountain Bike Ride

Desert season is coming up and it's time to get yer duffs in shape. Mountain Biking is a great way to train for dirtbiking or dualsporting, whatever you're into.

Starting from my house we'll ride into Tecolote Canyon and follow it south to Mission Bay. Return will be the reverse or possibly follow the train tracks North to Rose Canyon and into Marion Bear Park along the 52 to Genesee. Exit the park and take Genesee back to my house.

Total time to Mission Bay and back is ~1 hour. The longer loop could take 2-3 hours but I've never done it so I don't know for sure.

Either way this isn't a newbie ride, the golf course occupies a big portion of Tecolote canyon and they don't allow you to ride through it. To go around requires you to climb a steep hill and ride allong a cliff with a very shear drop, I believe this is called "exposure". There are a number of hills to climb/descend, streams to cross, you will carry your bike at least 3 times so if you are used to beach cruising your bicycle, stay home.

Desert season is coming up and it's time to get yer duffs in shape. Mountain Biking is a great way to train for dirtbiking or dualsporting, whatever you're into.

Starting from my house we'll ride into Tecolote Canyon and follow it south to Mission Bay. Return will be the reverse or possibly follow the train tracks North to Rose Canyon and into Marion Bear Park along the 52 to Genesee. Exit the park and take Genesee back to my house.

Total time to Mission Bay and back is ~1 hour. The longer loop could take 2-3 hours but I've never done it so I don't know for sure.

Either way this isn't a newbie ride, the golf course occupies a big portion of Tecolote canyon and they don't allow you to ride through it. To go around requires you to climb a steep hill and ride allong a cliff with a very shear drop, I believe this is called "exposure". There are a number of hills to climb/descend, streams to cross, you will carry your bike at least 3 times so if you are used to beach cruising your bicycle, stay home.

You mean like we'd have to pedal? And if we twist the rh grip, our gears change?

Oh, no.

fn

Jon- that is the best training for dirtbiking... surprise that I'm such a crappy dirtbiker, then, cuz as a "ute" I was a very competitive BMXer, and as an adult, I was a good mountain biker...

East of the Genesee, in Bear park is a trail that goes up in to Clairemont... I forget the name, but it ends at a flight of stairs... that's a pretty fun downhill after turning around at the top, but doesn't seem like an uphill getting there... there's a hip jump right near the bottom, and during the week, is pretty safe place to launch

There's also a BMX track down in Tecolote, but the faces are kind of steep for 26" tires.. spoken from experience... pre-loading before you jump off the face doesn't help either... ended up casing a big double, so don't say I didn't warn you...

The golf course... just rest before you get there, then hustle on through... golf carts can't catch you... the bypass sends you through poison oak central, so keep your eyes open, and your pants up...

have fun sweating..

no pig bikes

QUOTE(bikeslut @ Jun 4 2008, 05:44 PM)

to those of you that don't know Bill...

Hondapilot to the white courtesy phone

Nope, I don't know Bill, but he's acting uppity.

I've already done the bypass, no problems now with Poison oak. 3 months ago everytime I went into the canyon I got nasty little blisters all over my arms and legs. I've stayed out until a few weeks ago. I think all the nasty plants have dried up.

Ride postponed until Friday morning to repair flat tire.

Ozzy whats with the pigbikes quote?

I've already done the bypass, no problems now with Poison oak. 3 months ago everytime I went into the canyon I got nasty little blisters all over my arms and legs. I've stayed out until a few weeks ago. I think all the nasty plants have dried up.

Ride postponed until Friday morning to repair flat tire.

Ozzy whats with the pigbikes quote?

That must be a serious flat tire Jon... two days to repair? :(

As far as Ozzy's quote... sometimes, he falls in to a flashback of his broken ribs incident, and starts quoting random snippets from threads :D

Ozzy has been riding bicycles with Bill some days, and I'm guessing Bill is not waiting for him to catch his breath before they start the next section... Ozzy... easy solution... get to the top before him :D

Not a serious flat, just no bike stores open at 11PM or 6AM. I'm getting a tube today but don't have time/desire to ride in the afternoon heat.

My derailer needs adjustment again too, that'll take a few minuted to get straight.

Not a serious flat, just no bike stores open at 11PM or 6AM. I'm getting a tube today but don't have time/desire to ride in the afternoon heat.

My derailer needs adjustment again too, that'll take a few minuted to get straight.

for future reference, my garage is available 24/7... I have tubes... Did the derailleur go out of adjustment, or did I not fix it very well to start with?

for future reference, my garage is available 24/7... I have tubes...

Thanks for the garage, but I could buy three tubes for what it'd take me in gas to get to Alpine and back. Now if I'm riding Laguna/Cuyamaca and need a tube I'll hit ya up for sure, thanks for the offer.

Did the derailleur go out of adjustment, or did I not fix it very well to start with?

Uhmmm, yes?

for future reference, my garage is available 24/7... I have tubes...

Thanks for the garage, but I could buy three tubes for what it'd take me in gas to get to Alpine and back. Now if I'm riding Laguna/Cuyamaca and need a tube I'll hit ya up for sure, thanks for the offer.

Did the derailleur go out of adjustment, or did I not fix it very well to start with?

Uhmmm, yes?

(I work in Mission Bay Park)

Hhhmmmm... maybe I missed something... wanna ride motorcycles Sunday? You can ride the XR, and I'll ride the DRZ... you pay for your own gas :D

Hey Jon,

I'll go mtn biking with you.

I'd prefer nicer trails like Penasquitos Cyn or Santee Lakes. I'd even pick you up and drive you out there.

-Michael

Hey Jon,

I'll go mtn biking with you.

I'd prefer nicer trails like Penasquitos Cyn or Santee Lakes. I'd even pick you up and drive you out there.

-Michael

good one... do Sycamore canyon down from Poway to Santee Lakes and back

Penasquitos- North side of the creek, right?

Jon- post a Sunday ride, and I'll give my throttle a break, and make my legs hurt

I ride PQ on the north side 2x or so a week (now that I'm an inlander, it's my local break). Although the trails are getting taken away like mad by Pardee, it's still pretty fun.

The good route for Sycamore is to start from the High School in Santee. Ride in past the lakes and campground. There's a , sort of, new trail you can climb as you enter Sycamore to the left. It gently switches up, then you get some killer tight switchers going back down. Roll the single tracks to the fireroad, Head up the climb to the Poway side parking lot, then down Martha's Grove and back out. It would be a fun moto ride...

Anyone want to roll that route, let me know. It's definitely not a beginner route cardio/strength wise, skill wise the only tough spot is the last rocky drop at Martha's and there's an easy bypass for it now. Probably in the neighborhood of a 20+ Mile ride. This ride is threatened by development as well. Hit it while you can.

Head up the climb to the Poway side parking lot, then down Martha's Grove and back out.

Hang a hard left at the end of Martha's and climb the fireroad to the upper parking that comes in from 67.....then ride the ridge south for a ways and you'll eventually come to a knarly singletrack that drops back down to the valley......a group of us used to ride that route periodically AT NIGHT :) about ~10 years (and 25lbs) ago.....

Mikey, thanks for the offer but I kinda like riding straight outta my backyard and into the canyon. Unless something else comes up I'm going to plan on riding the longer loop.

That would be fine too. When and where should I meet you.

We're back!

And everyone survived.

That was an interesting loop to get in a 2 hr ride without ever getting more than 5 miles from home.

thanks Jon

That was a fun loop and very close to home. For the next ride I'll have to figure out how to tie a little more of the single track at the 5 & 52 interchange into the loop. Maybe just do the reverse and ride it out to the tracks.

You're welcome and thanks for coming out Micheal.

Jon