Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

New Kawasaki DSs

Whoop-dee-f'in doo!

Thanks for nothing Japan!

Super Sherpa ? I don't see anything super about it.

a4ce5d46-1d2d-4f8e-bd16-c0f7927400b1.jpg

yippee a 250 supermoto. KLX250SF

a90dcca0-bfc1-4331-9a1c-f308186a0927.jpg

Jon- I don't think you'd fit on one...

that being said... The Super Sherpa is a great bike to put on the back of a motorhome, and a good loaner bike... it's like a skinny tired TW200, but actually accelerates better (so does my mountain bike)

KTM and Husky are the only real choice for a serious DS these days... sad that Japan doesn't produce what they are capable of...

It's due to the insurance and tiered licensing in Japan and other countries. Internationally the smaller displacement bikes are the biggest sellers.

Why would someone buy a Super Sherpa when the KLX-250s is only $400 more???

It's due to the insurance and tiered licensing in Japan and other countries. Internationally the smaller displacement bikes are the biggest sellers.

Honda and Suzuki have consistantly made their cars and trucks bigger and more powerful with every redesign for years. Why, because Americans get taller and fatter with every generation and we need more power and more space to haul our big asses around. Same holds true for their street bikes. They are bigger and more powerful for the same reasons. Why haven't dualsport bikes gone that way? Don't say insurance because this years 1000cc crotch rockets are last years GP bikes. If they can street license a 180HP+ race bike they can certainly do a 50HP dirtbike.

I still believe the dualsport market is too small for the Big 4 to care about us. Even if they did have a bitchen DS bike they'll still sell more 150cc motocross bikes than all their dualsports combined.

there's a 150 class??

:D

150cc four strokes can race in the 80cc two stroke class.

The Super Sherpa is back? I thought they made that a few years ago and discontinued it? Seems odd to bring it out alongside the KLX250.

Honda and Suzuki have consistantly made their cars and trucks bigger and more powerful with every redesign for years. Why, because Americans get taller and fatter with every generation and we need more power and more space to haul our big asses around. Same holds true for their street bikes. They are bigger and more powerful for the same reasons. Why haven't dualsport bikes gone that way? Don't say insurance because this years 1000cc crotch rockets are last years GP bikes. If they can street license a 180HP+ race bike they can certainly do a 50HP dirtbike.

I still believe the dualsport market is too small for the Big 4 to care about us. Even if they did have a bitchen DS bike they'll still sell more 150cc motocross bikes than all their dualsports combined.

Because dual sports are not really being made targeting the Western market. By the big 4 they sell thousands and thousands of them outside the US in countries with undeveloped roads etc. Im with you on what I wish they would make I am just stating why they put out the little bikes like this.

I am just stating why they put out the little bikes like this.

I understand what you're saying and I'm telling you Japan purposely designs cars and trucks for the US market based on what our market demands. The Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan are two of the largest and most powerful vehicles in the world and are built in the US and sold only in North America. Americans don't want little crappy Asian market motorbikes we're 6 feet tall and weigh 200 pounds over here, we need big engines and real suspension on a real motorcycle.

My rant is off, feel free to forward this to any of the big 4s PR department.

I am just stating why they put out the little bikes like this.

I understand what you're saying and I'm telling you Japan purposely designs cars and trucks for the US market based on what our market demands. The Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan are two of the largest and most powerful vehicles in the world and are built in the US and sold only in North America. Americans don't want little crappy Asian market motorbikes we're 6 feet tall and weigh 200 pounds over here, we need big engines and real suspension on a real motorcycle.

My rant is off, feel free to forward this to any of the big 4s PR department.

my feeling exactly... Honda COULD produce a DS bike that would crush the KTM's and Husky's.. but the "margin" and "weighted average margin" don't make business sense to them.

Where I think they are losing sight is, of the long-term... If I'm not mistaken, the first Honda was an engine for a bicycle... they made it quality. They built themselves up on brand loyalty (like Craig) because they deserved it... They introduced the Honda Civic at a great time, and they made it gas efficient and reliable... they increased their satisfaction rating, and introduced new models that sold, based on loyalty. If they keep providing the DS bikes they are now, the Honda loyalists will be old or dead, and the middle agers with the money will all be spending money in Europe.

Honda (I pick on them because, truth be told, I considered myself a Honda guy when I was younger and more naive... also; they are the company that could produce the best unit, if they would stop playing it so safe, and without looking at THIS year's ledger sheet... they're a bunch of bean counters) anyway...

Honda could produce a great bike, and steal market share away from KTM... so we don't have to figure out a way to get a CRF450 or a XR650R plated.

Suzuki HAS to be close to a DS with the current RMZ... really fuel injected has made it almost there, I would expect (or at least it is programmable to meet regs...)

Yamaha can get decent power out the the WR250R... make a 450... even the Tenere would be AN Option... now I'm getting all pissed off again... THANKS JON!!

I'm getting all pissed off again... THANKS JON!!

No sweat Bob, that's what I do best, just ask Julie :D

I truely hope KTM has the 690 Baja sorted out this year and puts a world of hurt to Honda. Maybe then Honda will remember why they had the 650R and resurrect the king. This time with brake lights and a plate holder :D

Rumormill has said wr450R for 10 but... its going to be heavier than what you want and more a dual sport than a plated off road bike.

Honda can build an amazing bike just look at the new CBR1000RR

They just are not motivated to make us a bike, all their money goes into the CRF450X or R models, dual sport not being a competition environment is what kills manufacturer interest in the segment R&D wise. Our bikes are looked at as for the softcore. The euro companies are different because they have the need for plates on almost every area they ride thats not an MX course. And a lot of people claim what they would want is a crf450x with a plate on it anyway, not me, but for a lot of people it would be.

Why would someone buy a Super Sherpa when the KLX-250s is only $400 more???

It looks like a short bike. Little shorty folks might like to buy one to get their feet on the ground. :D