Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

End of Summer multi-sport ride

I promised bikeslut some pics of my trip long ago, heck we went over Labor day weekend so I'm a bit behind on the photo posting.

Anyway,I don' t have a motorcycle anymore so I am getting my offroad fix on my mountain bike these days. I'll be posting upcoming rides on the bike really soon too so look for those.

Julie and I decided to take a Labor Day trip to Flagstaff, AZ. I flew there a month earlier in the Piaggio and really liked what I saw at the airport so this was an opprtunity to check out the rest of the area. This time we flew in a Cessna with the mountain bikes in the back. We were planning to spend two days biking and hiking and getting a feel for the town. The city is an old Route 66 town, but got lucky enough to get a University to keep it going after I-40 was laid down.

Anywho here's the pics to keep you all interested...

Up early in the morning for an early start, we were "wheels up" at 7AM.

IMG_0127.jpg

It was a tight fit but the bikes squeezed in.

IMG_0126.jpg

Huh, it does rain in San Diego in fact we were dodging thunderstorms all the way to Prescott.

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Whenever I fly, for fun or professionally, I'm always scouting dirt roads/trails to explore on the next ride.

IMG_0134.jpg

Real nice views.

IMG_0139.jpg

What a crazy couple!

IMG_0131.jpg

In Flagstaff, bikes went together perfectly. :D

IMG_0140.jpg

First ride of the weekend, This was to Fischer Point. This was suposed to be an easy ~4 mile ride, well we found out that at 7000'+ elevation, nothing is easy and it was 4.5 miles TO Fischer Point. We thought he meant 4 miles total. :D

IMG_0144.jpg

A few flowers

IMG_0142.jpg

Some nice trails Fischer point is in the background

IMG_0148.jpg

Fischer Point from the top looking down at the trails we were just on.

IMG_0147.jpg

We hid from the afternoon rain in this big cave. Shortly after we got there we met up with a Marine that was also scared of the water. I always knew Marines were felines. I mean I was only in the cave cuz I didn't want to leave Julie alone out there, yeah that's it. :D

IMG_0149.jpg

Or maybe it was the Hailstones :lol:

Unfortunately I don't have much for the rest of the trip, I had mechanical trouble the next day and our ride was cut short. THe county fair was going on that weekend so we spent the rest of the day watching cows and pigs get ribbons. There were all the standard fair games and I won the water gun in the clowns mouth game to win a 50 cent stuffed dog for Julie. :lol:

The next morning we slept in, hit the jacuzzi, ate our continental breakfast and then loaded the plane for the trip home.

IMG_0141.jpg

Bob, Thanks again for the great books, Jon

Nice to see that you had a good time using the plane as a gettaway capsule. Nice photos.

Thanks for the report and pictures! Seem like a great place to explore. My son is now into mountain bikes, so he is trying to get me into it... I don't think I'm in any shape, but who knows... He likes the fact he can ride it any place without restrictions.

Thanks for the report and pictures! Seem like a great place to explore. My son is now into mountain bikes. He likes the fact he can ride it any place without restrictions.

Yeah, those trails look really nice for a trail MOTORcycle. The pedaling part isn't all that attractive to me. ;)

Thanks for the report and pictures! Seem like a great place to explore. My son is now into mountain bikes, so he is trying to get me into it... I don't think I'm in any shape, but who knows... He likes the fact he can ride it any place without restrictions.

No restrictions? In Anza Borrego state park you can only ride bicycles on the roads that any street legal vehicle can ride on. The rest of the desert (or seems like it) is all wilderness and bikes can"t ride there either. There may be a few trails some places that let bicycles ride on, that motorcycles can't go on, but it is a far cry from riding any place without restriction.

There are a bunch of new wilderness areas proposed in California this year. ;)

Oh, how I wish that were true...

mountain bikers are facing the same issues that dual sport bikes, and dirt bikes are facing... closing down of trails...

equestrians (horse riders; not actors) have serious concerns about mountain bikes... some valid, some not... excess speed on downhill trails (guilty), trail erosion (PLEASE... like horses tread lightly), trash left (no ONE group leaves trash... although inner tubes are a give away), and bike chemicals polluting stream crossings...

rant off... Nice pictures Jon... We need to plan a fall trip to Flag/Sedona/Corwn King/Prescott

Thanks for the report and pictures! Seem like a great place to explore. My son is now into mountain bikes. He likes the fact he can ride it any place without restrictions.

The pedaling part isn't all that attractive to me. <_<

Me either. But the downhill stuff's ok on my MTB. The uphill, not so much. I want to live in the land of downhill.

fn

The pedaling part isn't all that attractive to me. <_<

Me either. But the downhill stuff's ok on my MTB. The uphill, not so much. I want to live in the land of downhill.

fn

at the risk of sending you in to a Blood Sweat and Tears songfest...

what goes up, must come down...

that being said... Big Bear has chair lifts... and hotels and ATM machines

We need to plan a fall trip to Flag/Sedona/Corwn King/Prescott

Maybe we oughta head up to the Big Laguna/Noble area for another camping/biking weekend:

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...ic=2473&hl=

That last one wiped me out <_<

oh SNAP! I didn't go to that one... I'm up for a Sunday Noble Ride any time... fake name... it's ALL downhill B)

ok; a lot of it is downhill... the weather is almost cool enough to do it. Paul; for reference... that paved road we rode up to Mt Laguna crosses Noble Canyon many times... I mentioned it on the ride, but you were singing some Village People song...

Flagstaff is a really nice town to hang out in. My wife and I have gone through there numerous times on the way to and from New Mexico. I was down in Oak Creek Canyon this summer on the way to and from Philmont Scout Ranch with my son's Boy Scout troop. We camped at Pine Flat campground and it was really nice (except for the rain that seemed to follow us everywhere on the trip. If anyone is bored and wants to read up on my summer hiking adventure see my blog here. Hopefully now that my son is now in college I'll have more time for riding.

That last one wiped me out :lol:

oh SNAP! I didn't go to that one... I'm up for a Sunday Noble Ride any time... fake name... it's ALL downhill :D

ok; a lot of it is downhill... the weather is almost cool enough to do it. Paul; for reference... that paved road we rode up to Mt Laguna crosses Noble Canyon many times... I mentioned it on the ride, but you were singing some Village People song...

I thought you ride up it and THEN it's all downhill.

Agreed - no "shuttle queens"

Agreed - no "shuttle queens"

I'm a shuttle KING... :lol:

I have ridden it up, but it's much funner to ride it down, a couple of times in a day... I don't have enough TIME to ride it up... the sun sets