RogerTOWM

Provocative ADVRider Thread....Topic Merged

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Ok. Roger bring that Orange POS. to carlsbad. I want to take you for a little ride. Remember to bring your Visa, because the rescue, helicopter doesn't take anything else. :lol::lol::D

Hammer,

You shouldn’t be putting graffiti on the rocks! You can get arrested for that. :lol: Please don’t mark up nature anymore. (Craig, remember what I do for a living?)

Carlsbad is a little far from East County. Anyway if you want to learn to ride the big bikes on the dirt you need to talk to Randy when he gets back. Or see Rob and John. I don’t teach dirt bike riding. I’ve only been riding for less then a year on the dirt. We have guys way more qualified to teach you how to ride then me. I do appreciate the compliment though. :P

These guys can't keep up on the RACE READY :lol::lol: 525 ;):P:D:D They don't have a chance on the Big Orang Pig. :P:P

I thought about buying another 650L, today, but then I realized, mine still has, at least 60,000 mles left in it. Dang I am going to be on that bike till I am at least 65. Owning the awesome 650L is a great feeling. I guess I don't realy need 2 :D

Craig

You and Randy need to get a room. :D

Someone please, close this thread :lol:

These guys can't keep up on the RACE READY :lol::lol: 525 :lol::lol:;):D They don't have a chance on the Big Orang Pig. :P:P

Wasn't this thread about various "Adventure" Bikes???? How did a best all around "Adventure" bike thread morph into the usual, "I'm a bad ass......come ride in Carlsbad and look for a helicopter" theme from Mr. Tool Time??? :lol::lol: .....Ham Head, you crack me up.... :D:D:D

Guest Hammerin Hammon

These guys can't keep up on the RACE READY :lol::lol: 525 :lol::lol:;):D They don't have a chance on the Big Orang Pig. :P:P

Wasn't this thread about various "Adventure" Bikes???? How did a best all around "Adventure" bike thread morph into the usual, "I'm a bad ass......come ride in Carlsbad and look for a helicopter" theme from Mr. Tool Time??? :lol::lol: .....Ham Head, you crack me up.... :D:P:D

It's all about bikes. The 650L is a great adventure bike. The fact that a guy on a RACE READY 525 cant keep up with me shows how well the 650 L works on MX, and single track, The fact that it lasts forever is relavent to this thread. The fact that you can buy 2 and a half for the same price is also relavant.

I was going to help Roger realize how heavy his bike realy is, by takeing him on a little ride.

I am just trying, to help out, and save him alot of money. :D I save my customers lots of money every day. :D

I will take lesons from scott. He does the Rock 105.3 surrf report. Check it out.

Craig.

SMHbigsurfSCOTT2_1_.bmp

I will take lesons from scott. He does the Rock 105.3 surrf report. Check it out.

Craig.

Well good Hammer! I’m very pleased that you’re finally going to take lessons, improve your skills and learn how to ride an Adventure Bike. It doesn’t matter who you learn from as long as you improve. I’m sure you will make a great student for Scott. :lol:

I noticed that he has a very good command of the English language. His grammar and spelling appear to be quite exceptional, maybe he could also assist you in this regard as well?

Wasn't this thread about various "Adventure" Bikes???? How did a best all around "Adventure" bike thread morph into the usual, "I'm a bad ass......come ride in Carlsbad and look for a helicopter" theme from Mr. Tool Time??? :lol::lol: .....Ham Head, you crack me up.... :D:P:D

It's all about bikes. The 650L is a great adventure bike. The fact that a guy on a RACE READY 525 cant keep up with me shows how well the 650 L works on MX, and single track, The fact that it lasts forever is relavent to this thread. The fact that you can buy 2 and a half for the same price is also relavant.

I was going to help Roger realize how heavy his bike realy is, by takeing him on a little ride.

I am just trying, to help out, and save him alot of money. :D I save my customers lots of money every day. :D

Craig.

Craig;

The thread was about long distance, multi-surface adventure bikes... your feelings are well known... the 650L is best

There are people that can't keep up with me on the TW200... doesn't make it a great bike.

The fact that you dismiss others opinions, based on your own observations, makes you close-minded...don't be... The reason that there are so many options, is because there are so many definitions of an adventure bike... Jimmy Lewis does some pretty sick stuff on a BMW, then he can ride the same bike to Alaska... heck; somebody did a tour on a TW... I've taken my Strom on Kernan... Randy does some great Adventure rides, and provides this forum; I think appreciating what he does on both counts is worth noticing.

As for me... now that I have a 650L, and recently had a Strom... If I was going to go to Alaska, it would be the Strom hands down... If I am going out to Lark, the TW works great... If I was going ride singletrack, it would be the DRZ... If I was riding from here to Phoenix on by-ways, it would be the 650... There's an adventure for everybody; doesn't have to be yours

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Wasn't this thread about various "Adventure" Bikes???? How did a best all around "Adventure" bike thread morph into the usual, "I'm a bad ass......come ride in Carlsbad and look for a helicopter" theme from Mr. Tool Time??? :lol::lol: .....Ham Head, you crack me up.... :P:P:D

Craig.

Craig;

The thread was about long distance, multi-surface adventure bikes... your feelings are well known... the 650L is best

There are people that can't keep up with me on the TW200... doesn't make it a great bike.

The fact that you dismiss others opinions, based on your own observations, makes you close-minded...don't be... The reason that there are so many options, is because there are so many definitions of an adventure bike... Jimmy Lewis does some pretty sick stuff on a BMW, then he can ride the same bike to Alaska... heck; somebody did a tour on a TW... I've taken my Strom on Kernan... Randy does some great Adventure rides, and provides this forum; I think appreciating what he does on both counts is worth noticing.

As for me... now that I have a 650L, and recently had a Strom... If I was going to go to Alaska, it would be the Strom hands down... If I am going out to Lark, the TW works great... If I was going ride singletrack, it would be the DRZ... If I was riding from here to Phoenix on by-ways, it would be the 650... There's an adventure for everybody; doesn't have to be yours

Oh, come on you got me all wrong. Your right it's not about speed. I am not here to learn how to ride, but to type and spell better. I should have, first looked at who's post it was, then told Roger to get the CRF230L :D

Why did he ask in the first place.

I understand you Slut, I have 14 surfboards, TOOO many, my father asks me, why I have so many boards, I ask him why he has so many clubs in his golf bag. :P sometimes it is hard to decide which board to ride. When I was a kid, I had 1 board, surfed all waves on it, BIG and small. I am now trying to find 3 boards that I can surf everything on.

I have found 1 reliable bike that I can ride everything on. (LESS is MORE) Don't HATE me because I found the right bike bike. :P

Please try to limit discussion to the current topic.

Open Discussion is the appropriate place for off topic stuff.

As I stated before: After reading all the well thought intelligent responses the “Best all-round, big multi-day multi-surface adventure touring bike” is more then likely a large displacement multi-cylinder motorcycle. All that is why I think the current best adventure bike for this type of trip might well be the BMW 1200GS. It has great road manners and will not tire you out driving 4,000 miles to the dirt road. It can get you down that dirt and gravel road, as well as the two tracks (and easy single track if you have the skills for it).

If we would limit our choices only to thumpers I think the pre-08 KLR might be best. Is it as good off road as the 640 adventure? No, it is not as capable. But look at Pyro, he gets everywhere with it and takes all his stuff as well. (Remember I have never ridden the 640 so I could be wrong.) The pre-08 KLR would be the best chose for South America. You can get the parts and find shops to work on it. It runs on regular gas not high octane. There are lots of after market accessories out there for it. As well as plenty of information on how to equip and plan for these adventure rides. Not least the price is right!

The Honda 650L is a great bike. Relatively light and air cooled. When ridden by a skilled rider like John or Jon or Aaron, it will go just about anywhere and will not run anybody else over. But I don’t thing it is as suitable as the KLR for this use.

For those who have not read the title of this thread the CRF230L has not been mentioned as a bike suitable for this purpose. Could it be used for it? Sure it could. But it would have all the problems associated with small light bikes that have been previously mentioned. The question in this thread is not what is the best bike for me (KLRoger) to ride but what is the “best all-round and why”.

Many motorcycles have been used for “Adventure Rides”. I have done many 3,000 and 4,000 mile trips on my Harley Electra-Glide. I have also ridden my Indian Scout and a Victory 92C that I use to own, on long multi-thousand mile trips.

One of these trips was over 4,000 miles of paved road with two sections of dirt road on the Harley. The first section was 7 miles of washboard and the second section was a little over 40 miles of graded and graveled county road. The washboard road I drove on three days after I had a heavy fall on my KLR. I was in a lot of pain at the time and the dirt wash board road did not help me feel any better. I went down that dirt road to look at a Ghost Town. I was in so much pain when I got there that I was not able to enjoy the visit to the town. That was a shame because I really like to see our history and how we got to where we are now. I refuse to drive inebriated so I would not take any pain medications while riding.

By the time I went on the 40 mile gravel road it was a few days later and I was not in as much pain. We took that road because we were doing a favor for a friend. She asked us if we could find her grandfathers grave. He died in the 1920s and was buried by a settlement that no longer exists. All we had to go on was the name of the old township. None of the buildings are standing anymore. I know we got in the general area but we were unable to find the township or graveyard. None of the residents we contacted knew anything about it. I want to go back there and find the grave for her. It might take several days in the area to research and find where it is. I might be able to do this next spring.

Again this road was uncomfortable on the Harley. The gravel was quite deep in several spots causing the back end to slide out. That is common with a dirt bike but not so good with a heavy street bike. You don’t just throw a full dressed, heavily loaded, touring bike around that way. I have weighed the bike fully fueled, and loaded with touring stuff as well as me on it and it scaled out at around 1200 lbs. For me it was especially difficult because I had only ridden on the dirt a couple of times at that point. While I didn’t fall I did think I would need to change my underwear a few times. At the end of the road I found I had lost a couple of motor mounts and all the rest of the mounts were loose. I have over 35,000 miles on that Harley. Not all of it is from paved roads.

I like to take long adventurous trips. I like to discover the history of my Country. I have fought for my country. I have sacrificed for my country. I have taken solemn oaths to defend my country. I love my country. I want to soak in, enjoy, see and experience as much of it as I can before I go. I want to see the towns, meet the people and learn their stories and history. The desert flowers in spring, the Rockies in fall, the Salmon River in Idaho, the Oregon coasts, all these things enthrall me. I yearn to discover more and meet more people, learn their stories. I hope this answers the question; “Why did he ask in the first place?”

I wanted a thoughtful discussion on the “Best all-round, big multi-day multi-surface adventure touring bike”. I was quite surprised by the results. I did not expect to decide that the BMW would claim that title. But all the insightful arguments lead me to that conclusion. Besides it carries more beer. Am I right Kevin? :P

If you have other well thought out opinions to add I would like to read them. Give me insightful points of view. Explain where my judgment is flawed in the matter. Name calling is not an Argument nor is being argumentative. I’m not asking for a juvenile quarrel, just a well thought out opinion. Use facts to back up your points. Plead your case and get me to change my mind. This is an intellectual exercise that others may find helpful when they are deciding what bike to get for this function. :P

I think the current best adventure bike for this type of trip might well be the BMW 1200GS.

Given your conclusion, what prompted you to pick up the KTM 990 vs. the Beemer? Weight and Cost? Chain vs. Shaft? Other?

I think the current best adventure bike for this type of trip might well be the BMW 1200GS.

Given your conclusion, what prompted you to pick up the KTM 990 vs. the Beemer? Weight and Cost? Chain vs. Shaft? Other?

Ride it and you'll find out! :P Nobody said I was smart. The 990 Adventure is a great bike! Some people’s opinion who have never been on it not withstanding. Having ridden one I now know what Randy and Doug mean when they talk about it. :P

I would have liked to have looked at the Elefant in this discussion. In fact I’m going to beg Randy to let me ride his Elefant when he returns from his “adventure ride” and gets the bike back together. But I think we should look at bikes currently available and the Elefant is not in that group.

I purchased the 990 before I asked the question. That bike just got me thinking so I thought I’d bring it up. Again I was surprised at the answer. No, I’m not going to sell the KTM for a BMW. I don’t need to carry that much beer. :P But I do hope to ride to the Arctic Circle in the next year or so.

I, but then I realized, mine still has, at least 60,000 mles left in it. D

I will have whatever it is that you are smoking thank you-and it is not tobacco.

I will have whatever it is that you are smoking thank you-and it is not tobacco.

Kevin stick to beer, your bike carries plenty of that. :P Remember you never know when the po-po is reading. Besides you don’t need any of that “medicine”.

Please try to limit discussion to the current topic.

Open Discussion is the appropriate place for off topic stuff.

Busted, the Gestopho is near.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I have friend Paul Osbow, He is a Baja racer who if you look at the past years winning finishers you will see his name several times, Baja 500 and 1000. He has a 650L with over 75,000 miles on it. He says it runs like new. There are lots of others with more miles on the 650L.

Mine only has 13,000 :P

XR650L The world is yours!

You talk about all your long rides, but Carlsbad is too far. :P

Please move this thread to open discussion.

Craig.

He has a 650L with over 75,000 miles on it.

Mine only has 13,000 :lol:

Craig.

There must be some good stuff stuff to smoke in Carlsbad.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

He has a 650L with over 75,000 miles on it.

Mine only has 13,000 :D

Craig.

There must be some good stuff stuff to smoke in Carlsbad.

;):D:D;););):P:D:lol::P

Hey this topic is about the best adventure bike. Not the best place to in the county score drugs. What to I have to do call the narcotics unit!

The new 800GS is supposed to be the most dirt oriented of the series so far so I wonder how it will do.

Hey this topic is about the best adventure bike. Not the best place to in the county score drugs. What to I have to do call the narcotics unit!

Well, according to Hammer Head you must be on drugs to ride an adventure bike or anything else besides a "bullet proof, awesome, reliable, fast, rock climbing, 200mpg Honda 650L"

I like the looks of the BMW800. I would have to ride the KTM and the BMW to make up my mind. Just about the time I am too old to enjoy a long trip, I should have the time and money to get one :lol:;) Ken

By the time I can get one, I should have a better idea of how much I plan to ride in the future I guess and the wife should be more comfortable with it too.

I stopped by BMW today to take a look. The 800s should be getting here by the end of Sept. :lol: Ken

u talkin bout this thang ? Damn talk about adventure I wanna twist that throttle ! ! ! :)

bmw_800.jpg