Joliet

Not another night ride....

I want to get in another night ride before the weather cools down. There is a 97% full moon on the 13th. I want to do a loop with some higher elevations where it will be cooler early in the evening and then drop down to the lower elevations when it cools off.

The starting spot will be Pinyon Mountain Trailhead (same as the last night ride), down the S2 to ride a loop up Oriflame/Charriot and back down Rodriquiz, back to the S2 and up to Blair Valley around the mountain and back to Pinion Mountain trail head to top off with fuel. Here we will split into 2 groups.

Group 1 will Ride Pinion Mtn, squeeze, drop, fish creek to Diablo Canyon, Arroyo Tapiado, mud caves, Valiecieto Creek to the S2 and back to the trucks.

Group 2 will go down the S2 to Valieceito Creek to Arroyo Seco Del Diablo head down to the top of Diablo drop and join with Group 1 there. This route will be less technical than the other route, but will still have lots of sand.

I want to start riding at 6:pm and we should be done around 12am or 1am. :rolleyes: Ken

I want to get in another night ride before the weather cools down.

This route may have to be modified or split into groups if we have novice riders.

Before it cools down? How about when it cools down! As I remember, it was around 100 degrees at 10:30 last time around. :D Okay, so I'm a whiner. :rolleyes: I might be up for the wussy....er, I mean the novice group. And I'll remember to wear goggles this time and ride something with a better headlight. :D:D

Im in, always in on a joilet night ride, carpool?

If you are offering, I will ride with the medic. And if you are offering to take my ride down gnarly hills, I accept that offer too.

I need to use my new light system so I should be in. How is the terrain compared to the last night ride?

If you are offering, I will ride with the medic. And if you are offering to take my ride down gnarly hills, I accept that offer too.

I need to use my new light system so I should be in. How is the terrain compared to the last night ride?

Im a Emergency Medical Technician, Im always available to ride peoples bikes up or down anything they are uncomfortable with, as far as terrain we will let joilet talk about that, did someone say something about sand,MMMM my favorite, more sand please. :rolleyes:

Well, the later part will be a lot, but not all of what we rode on the last ride. So, if you rode that, you know the difficulty of the terrain there. The part that goes up Oriflamme and Rodriguez Canyon is rather rocky in places, but there is a large amount of smoother hard packed trail and not much sand, except at the bottom of the trail in the creek bed. There are not any extremely steep sections and only a couple of fairly technical spots. I would rate this as mostly novice to intermediate, as some larger adventure type bikes have routinely done this route.

After the trails you rode last Saturday, you will have less trouble doing some of the sections that gave you problems on the last night ride. :rolleyes: Ken

Carpool sounds good. We will need to caravan with someone that can leave a vehicle at the trailhead where we started the last night ride. I need to leave a couple of jugs of fuel there to top off some of the tanks.

Steve and I can give you and your bike a ride down to Butterfield. Looking for volunteers.

If I don't find someone that wants to park at Pinion Mountain I may call the Stagecoach campground and see if they will hold onto the fuel jugs for me. If you want to volunteer to park at the Pinion trailhead let me know.

Or looking for a volunteer that can park at the trailhead and ride their bike down to Butterfield, going by memory, I think it is about 8 miles of pavement from Stagecoach to Butterfield. Thanks, Ken

another night ride. You are the man :rolleyes:

I don't mind parking at pinyon.

Out of curiosity, how come you don't want to ride up oriflame and down rodriquiz instead of riding the banner grade?

97%? Jeez, I don't know....

It is actually 96.81% according to my phase calander, but I didn't want to sound like a geek so I rounded it off <_<:( . Ken

Look. I appreciate your setting it up and all, but. Really.

You couldn't do any better than 96.81? I mean really?

I don't know...

fn

another night ride. You are the man <_<

I don't mind parking at pinyon.

Cool, I will meet you there and put a couple of gas cans in your truck.

Out of curiosity, how come you don't want to ride up oriflame and down rodriquiz instead of riding the banner grade?

Sounds like a good plan to me, we could go up Oriflame/Charriot and then back down Rodriquez, if we are going to do that we might as well do the loop through Blair Valley on the way to the trailhead. :( Ken

Sounds like a good plan to me, we could go up Oriflame/Charriot and then back down Rodriquez, if we are going to do that we might as well do the loop through Blair Valley on the way to the trailhead. <_< Ken

That sounds like a great laid back early loop. :(

Im in for this too.. ill recruit some more or see if i can just take my trailer some where and just stay there.

for the night. camping anyone? ill do the first loop for sure see how my broken ribs do after that.

brandon. (LOOK NO CAPS)

Im in for this too.. ill recruit some more or see if i can just take my trailer some where and just stay there.

for the night. camping anyone? ill do the first loop for sure see how my broken ribs do after that.

brandon. (LOOK NO CAPS)

Brandon,

U taking the toy hauler? I might be up for some camping.

SHOCKNAWE (look caps)

I was just thinking about the sun set time. It will be setting slightly before 7 pm won't it? Is 6:00 early enough a start time?

I was just thinking about the sun set time. It will be setting slightly before 7 pm won't it? Is 6:00 early enough a start time?

Since we have already changed the first part of the route to be at least 1/2 hour longer, we may adjust the start time. Is your concern getting down HAH before dark? If it is, we are not even close. Once the route is finalized, I hear some of your comments and I see who is going and how many we have, I will update the information, probably Thursday.

Personally I don't mind doing the whole ride in the dark, but I would like to hear others comments on it. It would be nice if the ride was enjoyable for all. My personal feeling is that it is a night ride and I don't think that there is any one part of the ride that will be much more difficult to ride at night than in the daylight. Slower maybe, more stressful, but not way more difficult.

Last time it took us over an hour from the trailhead to get down HAH. Then a lot of people seemed to have trouble getting up the next technical section in the dark. If we have the same group as last time, I figure we would have to be riding by about 4:15 to get everyone up that section before dark.

Where would you like to see yourselves at when it gets totally dark? Post up your comments.

Personally I don't mind doing the whole ride in the dark, but I would like to hear others comments on it. It would be nice if the ride was enjoyable for all. My personal feeling is that it is a night ride and I don't think that there is any one part of the ride that will be much more difficult to ride at night than in the daylight. Slower maybe, more stressful, but not way more difficult.

<_< easy for the guy with 2 HIDs mounted on his bike and a third HID on his helmet to say. Its always high noon on Ken's husky. :( Seriously though, I think we can make it in the dark.

Since we have already changed the first part of the route to be at least 1/2 hour longer, we may adjust the start time. Is your concern getting down HAH before dark?

Where would you like to see yourselves at when it gets totally dark? Post up your comments.

Well, you did post a NIGHT ride after all. If I go along, I only plan to do the first loop and don't have any plans to go down The Drop. <_<

Since we have already changed the first part of the route to be at least 1/2 hour longer, we may adjust the start time. Is your concern getting down HAH before dark?

Well, you did post a NIGHT ride after all. If I go along, I only plan to do the first loop and don't have any plans to go down The Drop. :D

There probably will be a group who isn't comfortable doing the technical sections at night. That group could go down the S2 to Valiecito Creek and meet up with our support vehicle (just a rumor at this point) which should be at a location to be announced. (probably either Big Mud Cave or the top of Diablo) and then finish the ride with the group. This route would also work for any one that wants to ride an adventure bike. :( Ken

97% is good enough for me. Anybody with a loaner bike out there I can use? If not maybe I'll drive the chase truck/chuck wagon.

jon

Well, you did post a NIGHT ride after all. If I go along, I only plan to do the first loop and don't have any plans to go down The Drop. :D

There probably will be a group who isn't comfortable doing the technical sections at night. That group could go down the S2 to Valiecito Creek and meet up with our support vehicle (just a rumor at this point) which should be at a location to be announced. (probably either Big Mud Cave or the top of Diablo) and then finish the ride with the group. This route would also work for any one that wants to ride an adventure bike. :( Ken

I am the rumor Ken is mentioning... Looking at a map, it looks like I can get my 2 wheel drive truck there fairly easily... I'll have some bikes in the back for messing around, and have some water, gas, tools and snacks... still only a rumor at this point

Ken,

I'm in, and will lead the the "others" if you want. We can go s2 south to the look out by ocotillo and get into dirt all the way back to deabllo drop off.

Can someone draw a line around a map from Google Earth so I can see the loop? All these words are Hebrew to me. Thanks.