Sign in to follow this  
Gbus Crisis

Allow myself to introduce . . . myself.

Hello All.

I'd been riding a few times as a kid (I have memories of riding on the gas tank of my uncle's motorcycle when I was about 5), I had a Yamaha XJ-550 when I was 19 to 22. It was a street bike with street tires and it never saw a proper registration sticker the entire time I owned it. I don't know how many miles I put on it but it was about equal time asphalt, dirt road and pasture. I think I oiled the chain twice. Needless to say that bike left me on the side of road more than once, but it was great fun and adventure. :D

I started riding legitimately and with a serious head about four years ago -- 10 years since I last saw the XJ-550. I bought a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. I took the MSF BRC. I bought some basic, beginner gear. At first I just rode on the weekends. Then I started commuting. And then at some point, according to my girlfriend, I became obsessed. I upgraded my gear. I upgraded my bike (Yamaha FZ1!) and one day while surfing the internet I landed on ADVRider.com's Ride Reports and Pics, Pics, Pics forum. :blink:

Holy ----, brother! You can take motorcycles offroad -- and not just to ride on the sand dunes. You can actually ride to the middle of an unpaved nowhere! Cutting across a pasture is one thing, intentionally riding for days or weeks like that is madness! Where do I sign?! ^_^

So I'm just beginning my foray into offroad and dual-sport bikes. I've been on a few rides (on borrowed bikes) with Spaugh and Pirate Monkey and most recently I showed up unannounced at the Big Adventure Bike Ride where I met SteveO, Yeti, Ron, Rob and some guys on monster KTMs. I'd be more involved but have a few start up costs to overcome and a commitment to fulfill. The start up costs are what you'd expect. You need a suitable bike. You really ought to have a suitable vehicle to haul said bike around and you need some space to put all of it (my single car garage already has three bikes in it). I'll get all that worked out eventually.

In the mean time I've got the commitment. Last year I told MikeB (not of this board) I'd ride with him to Alaska in May/June 2009. That's what I'm working towards now. Now I've got a 2005 Wee-Strom that's going to make the haul to Alaska. I need to get it properly outfitted and I've got to get myself where I'm as comfortable on the Wee in gravel as I am on the FZ1 on asphalt. I'm not there yet.

Also, I've had one or two unexpected vacations from motorcycling. The most recent occurred in May:

2483234883_df4aeee575.jpg

I did that little mod in Coral Canyon with Spaugh, Briana, Pirate Monkey and Mr. Michigan. Yah, thats the throttle hand. :angry:

I'm back on the bikes now and I look forward to more Big Adventure Bike rides with the folks here. Also, if some one has a plated KTM 400 or 450 EXC they need to unload for cheap, I'm kinda sorta in the market!

Chad

(and sometimes Jack :ph34r: )

Welcome to the group, hope to meet up with you on a ride sometime soon.

I don't have a KTM for sale, but might have a Suzuki if you're interested?

Welcome aboard. See you out on the trail. :ph34r:

Gbus Crisis is an interesting choice for a board name, but at least it is shorter than Cheezncrackersgotallmuddy. :angry:

Hey Jack <_< glad to see you finally got approved!! :)

I'm also looking for a cheap plated 4xx or 5xx or 650R so if you find two let me know ok? BTW, if you do get one and need somewhere to park it let me know, I've got enough space in my garage and we live close.

What's the story with yer screen name?

Welcome Gbus Crisis <_<

Glad to see you've been here long enough to snoop around and get the lay of the land. I'll keep my ears peeled for a bike and let you know what I see out there.

Hope to ride with you soon-

Hello All and thank you for the warm greetings.

There's nothing special about the handle except I like the aural illusion it creates when said aloud and can live with being called 'Crisis'. Other names I considered like "Boo Bees" meant I'd be called 'Boo' and I didn't like that as much. Although I did like conversations other people could have with it: "We're waiting for Boo Bees.", "Have you seen Boo Bees?" and "I had a get-off while riding with Boo Bees." <_<

There's nothing special about the handle except I like the aural illusion it creates when said aloud and can live with being called 'Crisis'. Other names I considered like "Boo Bees" meant I'd be called 'Boo' and I didn't like that as much. Although I did like conversations other people could have with it: "We're waiting for Boo Bees.", "Have you seen Boo Bees?" and "I had a get-off while riding with Boo Bees." :D

That's why I named my dog "Stain." :):(<_<