Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy's Denver to San Diego "Adventure"

worst hi-jack EVER

I tried to bring it back with my CO. ride/link from ADVRider........did you check out those pictures???......I'm now shooting for Lake City on night one so I can ride the Alpine Loop before I drop down to Durango......I've amended my tracks accordingly :ph34r:

The link below will take you to some more pic's from another rider along the Alpine Loop last month on a bigger Beemer........the Alpine loop is between Gunnison and Durango:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362390

Guest Hammerin Hammon

They both look nice.....

Here's a trip report by father/son riding their GS650's in the same area of CO. I'll be riding next week :ph34r: :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357608

Nice trip, I didnt intend to Hi-jack you, I was just trying to get into the adventure thing. :lol: I dont think I could ever ride a KTM. but I kind like the BMW's. Have a nice trip.

Craig.

Nice trip, I didnt intend to Hi-jack you, I was just trying to get into the adventure thing. :ph34r: I dont think I could ever ride a KTM. but I kind like the BMW's. Have a nice trip.

Craig.

No Sweat......different strokes (bikes) for different folks.......I don't care what you ride......it doesn't matter what you ride........what does matter is that WE ALL belong to the .01% of the population that "get it"......the portion of the population that's cracked the code and figured out what a blast it is to have a dual purpose/dual sport/adventure bike to enjoy with family, friends, or solo.....

So pick up something.....anything......or slap the bags on the 650L......head east.......and meet me along the way home :lol:

I'm taking daughter #2 out for dinner to celebrate her 21st B-Day.....then she and her boyfriend are dropping me off at the airport......getting into Denver at O'Dark thirty.....up early to snag the bike.....labor BBQ with friends in Denver Monday.....then......."Bring it!".....the "Adventure" begins.....

Chris I know you are about to leave. So here is wishing you a save flight and good ride back. :D

Welp, snagged the bike this morning ;) ......a bit buzzy as expected but so what........it's all about tradeoffs........it's light weight and in good shape with NICE/STOUT forks, huge 7.4 gallon gas tank, pillion pegs, a REAL kickstand ;):D , and a pretty cool aftermarket ralley exhaust......it was about a ~40 (?) mile ride down to my friend's house........cruised along at 70 on the interstate at 5K RPM.........no sweat......you just need to find the right rev level to smooth things out.......running 16 up front and a 40 in the rear......carb is jetted a bit rich in preparation for upper elevations......previous owner (nice guy) loaded me up with misc. needles/jets for when I settle back into San Diego life.....

Bike is sitting in my friend's garage with full gas tank and loaded bags......ready to roll early in the am......went over to Walmart and dropped some coin on bungees, WD40, JB Weld, Zip Ties, Duct Tape, etc., etc......you know the drill.......also picked up a cheapo ATV seat cover which oughta help the rear end a bit.....though it makes a high bike even higher.....tippy toes.......I'll be looking for left curbs to mount/dismount since I have to swing the right leg over the saddlebags........that being said, I'm traveling very lean.....my mantra, "light is right and less is more"......I have everything for my ~1400(?) mile/5 to 6 day trip trip stuffed in the two soft saddlebags including a duffle which I may strap on top once I reach Durango and the ride becomes more street intensive/warmer..........I'll be wearing all my protective gear/warmer clothing over the passes but may load some of that stuff in the duffle after Durango.........the next two days should be epic......I'll snap a boat load of pics.....decided to blow off Pikes Peak because it's going to be a big day just to reach Lake City tomorrow......then Wed morning is the Alpine Loop from Silverton over Ophir to Ouray then back down to Silverton......almost all dirt :D ......I expect that will be the highlight of the trip......then dropping down to Durango Wed night and new rubber in the back on Thursday morning....

Doug - I was thinking about staying at Kathy's sister's place in Bullhead on Friday but it looks like they won't be there......so I'll just wing it (like every other day ;):D ).......I'll call you Thursday night from (?).....and let you know what progress I've made, how I'm feeling, and what my game plan is for Friday/Sat/Sun.....

Probably won't have computer access after tonight.......see you folks in a week :P:P:P:P:P

Good luck Chris and ride safe!

Just a quick note to say that I'm back ~1300 miles later.......first two days in CO. were epic as anticipated......unfortunately, when I arrived in Durango at the end of day two I had a voice mail from my brother stating that our father had passed away (he was 86 and had been ill for some time).....so I changed my plans and cut the ride a bit short.....got home late last night and I'm preoccupied with making travel plans for me and the kiddos right now.....took a boat load of photos during the first two days in CO.......I'll post a trip report/photos when I have more time.....

A couple of teasers......

Heading down Opir Pass on way to Tulluride (That's the city(?) of Ophir in the valley below):

100_0468.jpg

Taken near the top of Imogene Pass (~13K') between Telluride and Ouray (~$16 Walmart ATV seat cover was money well spent! ;) ):

100_0480.jpg

Sorry to hear about your dad, glad you got to see him on our Mammoth Trip. Home safe n sound is always a great end to a fantastic ride. Sweet new bike my friend.

Glad you are bike safe.

Hope the bike has been a great purchase.

And sorry for your loss of your father.