Chief Gunner

Maintenance day, get the bike ready for this season

good call on the loctite setting up....

guess it'll be a oil day...(*maybe more depending on how froggy i feel...)

maybe some other stuff....helmet lock, poss the charcoal canister, drain blinker relay juice.... :lol:

you know the standards....

Blind ;)...falling to lunch food coma.....

I feel a couple of important ones are the clutch and kick stand safety switch. They are quick and easy. Sounds like you should hit thumper talk and make a list. ;) Ken

I think he mentioned that his bike was completely stock and if so, we could show him how to cut out / open up the airbox and re-jet, shim the needle, and open up the exhaust which will help it stop running dealership- "California issued lean". It'll cool it off a bit while running.

Vey's carries the jets (like 3-4 bucks apiece)...I think I still have some from my days of riding my '03 KLX400R which had a Kein Flatside (FCR-39).

Just wanted to mention that if we need more food and drinks, no worries Albertsons and Rite Aid are real close too. :o

yup, Chief...she's a cold stock one.

as lame as these are

i have.....

taken off the seat strap, and a sticker on the tank......

other than those complex modz i am stockey jockey.....

kinda wanted to start stock, and see what does what...and go from there...

i think am open to anything "cheap"...since i don't run the financial end of the family.... ;)

mainly i am looking to meet a few of the people i see in the forum...

you know get acquainted and what not....

gonna be running to CycleGear on Friday during lunch....

planning on getting 15W50(*as per eddie sisneros' advice......TT guru) with full esters....(*what ever that means...)

any reason not to do that??

i ask b/c that way i am not in the wrong decision line later....

Blind :o

I learned allot and did the standard mods to my KLR and my XR (and soon to my VMax ) in threads which you can find in the forums at:

Thumpertalk.com , 4strokes.com, ADVrider.com and from the people here. ;)

The web is awesome!

For me; Half the fun of riding is Modifying :o

I really need to figure out my carb issue this weekend. Hopefully someone knows more than I and can assist, hehe.

I really need to figure out my carb issue this weekend. Hopefully someone knows more than I and can assist, hehe.

Maybe ya oughta drop it off with your gilrfriend's dad?......He might have the whole bike completely restored by the time you return to pick it up.....AND, as an added bonus, he might let you borrow a "loaner" in the interim :lol::o;)

good call on the loctite setting up....

guess it'll be a oil day...(*maybe more depending on how froggy i feel...)

maybe some other stuff....helmet lock, poss the charcoal canister, drain blinker relay juice.... :lol:

you know the standards....

Blind ;)...falling to lunch food coma.....

I feel a couple of important ones are the clutch and kick stand safety switch. They are quick and easy. Sounds like you should hit thumper talk and make a list. ;) Ken

I think he mentioned that his bike was completely stock and if so, we could show him how to cut out / open up the airbox and re-jet, shim the needle, and open up the exhaust which will help it stop running dealership- "California issued lean". It'll cool it off a bit while running.

Vey's carries the jets (like 3-4 bucks apiece)...I think I still have some from my days of riding my '03 KLX400R which had a Kein Flatside (FCR-39).

Just wanted to mention that if we need more food and drinks, no worries Albertsons and Rite Aid are real close too. :o

For XRs, it's shimming the needle... for DRZs, the hot ticket is re-jet, 3x3 hole in the airbox (use a hot knife), and replace the stock needle (and mainly SPRING) with a JD/or Dyno Jet one. You can make it a bit better without the needle /spring, but it would nice to do while you're in there. Also... DON'T strip the screws, removing the bowl... don't even TOUCH them with a screwdriver... use vise-grips...

I have heard lots of people cutting out the small pipe in the tailpipe, but put me in the "quiet is better" camp, and I'll defy anybody to notice a difference in power from that mod alone (of course, they sound much better that way... um... to motorcyclists they sound better... to Vista residents they sound like crap)

For some reason I remember the needle in the carb on my KLX having slots (3 of them) and then moving the clip up (weird but the way it was machined made the difference) so the needle traveled further down into the bowl to allow more gas in the mid to top range, but then again my memory is not that good anymore since I've focused my attention to missile launchers :lol:

For my XR I just used Mircomoters to gauge the diameter of the needle thickness and the required washer thickness and diameter so following "Dave's" mods on both the ADV and 4Stroke websites;

I slid a washer onto the needle after drilling out the slide....put it back together and Wall..aahhh, with my XR's Only SS header and pipe the damn thing woke up.

Again: If my mermory is bad I aplogize, but I'm thinking that CV type carbs (like the XR has) use a "reverse" needle principle then flatside FCR's.

Regardless: You need to take my pig for a ride: The throttle response, sound, and suspension settings ROCK! ;)

On my KLX I was running a Pro Circuit header and a White Brothers Exhaust with re-jetting, air box mod, suspension upgrades and different sprockets.. the thing hauled ass (much lighter feeling and nimble in the dirt than my XR) and I miss it still :o .

All good!

As for the DRZ 400 with a mikuni carb. the JD jet kit is supposed to be the ticket. the kit comes with hex head float bowl screw, so the originals which strip easily can be replaced. When installing the jet kit you will also want to put in a kientech extended fuel screw, for ease of adjustment.

For sea level I followed the advice of a expert on TT (Eddie):

155 main jet

kientech extended fuel screw (2.5 turns out initially)

22.5 pilot jet

blue needle, 4th clip from top

Much better throttle response and a little more power :o

When taking out the carb disconnect the subframe and have someone pull the airboot back, this helps a lot.

I would like to come and participate but I have to be in LA for the weekend ;)

jbw

Please allow me to correct myself; The FCR39 which is a Kehin carb (which my bike came with) and not an after-market Mikuni (which they might have used or are using now) uses a three stage, measured & machined spacing set type of incremental system...it is not a "reverse" type of function at all. ...

By moving the circular clip up a notch or two from the standard "dealership" setting the needle is placed out of the "hole" which allows more fuel to flow into the intake system & vales;

Therefore it works with the engine functions and gives the rider better throttle response and is necessary with after-market exhaust systems which in turn allows the faster escape of pressure, heat and combustible gases from the cylinders and actually helps to cool the engine.

Running a tad rich is better than running lean (especially with long haul 4 strokes) . The vapor effect of gas in the cylinders will actually help to cool the running temperatures in any bike.

Gas milage will suck depending on how much you change the jetting but if you run clean fuel and maintain your bike, it will thank you by providing long term reliabiliity and performance.

Even modern fuel injected bikes that are tuned correctly tend to run "rich" even when you "re-map" them" which just like jetting has allot to do with how you ride, what enginge upgrades (stroke, piston, bore, compression) you are playing with.

Forgive me if I'm wrong (I'm no chemist or Physist) but the theory and the proof is in how your machine performs and evy one I have owned is good to go!

;)

Unfortunately, the DRZ now comes stock with the Mikuni as you have guessed. The FCR is much better but does not pass air pollution test on the DRZ. Thanks for your description of the FCR, I am very new to engines and am always happy to learn!

jbw

i am not sure how deep into my bike i want to get this weekend...

the oil for sure....and filter of course....

clutch & kickstand safety disabled as well...

the 3X3 and JD jet kit will have to wait till i can free up some "good will" money from

the CFO of the family.....might be waiting till X-Mas....

according to my son, who is parrot genius...."you just got a motorcycle, mom says it's gonna be a long time till you get ANYTHING...." <_<

so yeah the "freebies" will have to be enough for me....

more looking forward to seeing others bikes and their mods...

and meeting the fine folks out there!

Blind B)

P.S. i kinda miscalculated my mileage....i think i will be on 600 when i get to work tomorrow....

this would put me about 40 or so miles over..(*assuming i only go home, then Chief Gunners....)

will this be an issue, or should i just drive to work (i know weird huh?) to save the 30 RT to work miles??

don't wanna hurt the bike, and don't wanna NOT ride to work.....what say you?

P.S. i kinda miscalculated my mileage....i think i will be on 600 when i get to work tomorrow....

this would put me about 40 or so miles over..(*assuming i only go home, then Chief Gunners....)

will this be an issue, or should i just drive to work (i know weird huh?) to save the 30 RT to work miles??

Are you talking about being 40 miles over the recommended oil change or service interval ??

If so, no.....that's not going to hurt the bike.

Are you serious???.....~40 miles over the factory "recommended" is no BFD, even for a first service....I swung by All American KTM on the way home from work the other night and picked up oil filters for the 620 since I'm at ~2.5K miles in the last 3 weeks <_<B) .....plan on changing it out this weekend......too bad KTM's are such a pain in the ass on oil changes......"2" oil filters, screens, and oil in the frame on the 620.........chain & sprockets will need to be replaced soon as well......tires have ~40% (?) left.....

Gunz - I may not be able to make it Sat......my day seems to be filling up with "to-do's" after being gone for a couple of weeks......If I do show it'll probably be mid afternoon when the work is done just to say hello....please PM your address.....

semi serious CrawD....but more like "nervous nancy" when it comes to the things i ride/depend on for making thru traffic.....

but i didn't figure it'd matter...

it's the first oil change(*service i would assume the shop would be hitting me up for...) so i wanted to make sure.....haven't had it serviced....do you know what that entails?

Blind <_<...thursday blah.

semi serious CrawD....but more like "nervous nancy" when it comes to the things i ride/depend on for making thru traffic.....

but i didn't figure it'd matter...

it's the first oil change(*service i would assume the shop would be hitting me up for...) so i wanted to make sure.....haven't had it serviced....do you know what that entails?

Blind <_<...thursday blah.

It will say in your owners manual what the 600 mile service entails. Probably oil change and valve check.

oh i know that routine CrawDaddy...

s'why i appreciate the info so much from the gallery....

from what i remembered it was basically the oil, and "check"(*i liked that part...B)) the valves....

from what i remember hearing was a quote of 230, but called HOM(*for a $....)

his $170 seemed a little high for what i would think....

esp if it's only oil & "check" valves....didn't ask what else, just wanted some #'s to work thru.....

but alas, no thanks service dept.

Blind <_<

I've got a manual for the XR650L and my VMax, Can't find my old one for my KLX400R / DRZ :lol:

So if anyone has a manual that they would bring along for the DRZ400 please do :D

well last night went into the MOM, and looked for what the 600(*1000k)miles service includes...

change oil...change oil filter...and many "inspections"....

seems as tho some money could be wasted for someone to "inspect" the bolts on my exhaust....

so yeah so stoked you got this going Chief!!!

is there ANYTHING i can bring??? i got imagination, so if that be the case i got ideas....

being so gracious to let a bunch of nar'do'ells into your home is VERY admirable....

i appreciate it even before it's happened!!!!

looking forward to seeing faces for these names...

Blind :lol:

I am headed out to Gunner's in the morning, I have room for bikes and bodies in my truck. PM me if you want a ride down there. I plan on loading up in Vista around 8:30 and being back before dark or close to it. :lol: Ken

I am headed out to Gunner's in the morning, I have room for bikes and bodies in my truck. PM me if you want a ride down there. I plan on loading up in Vista around 8:30 and being back before dark or close to it. :lol: Ken

I have a body I need to get rid of... thanks for the offer... PM sent :)

I am headed out to Gunner's in the morning, I have room for bikes and bodies in my truck. PM me if you want a ride down there. I plan on loading up in Vista around 8:30 and being back before dark or close to it. :) Ken

I have a body I need to get rid of... thanks for the offer... PM sent :D

I will add shovel to the list of tool that I am taking :lol: .

Some of you guys have mentioned that you wanted to learn how to change out or repair a flat tire. I have a couple of heavy duty tubes to install into one of my bikes I thought that I would bring them over to Gunners and do that this weekend. I normally just have Mickey change my flats (right Doug?) but he may not always be available. Anyway is there any interest in seeing how a tire is changed?

Some of you guys have mentioned that you wanted to learn how to change out or repair a flat tire. I have a couple of heavy duty tubes to install into one of my bikes I thought that I would bring them over to Gunners and do that this weekend. I normally just have Mikey change my flats (right Doug?) but he may not always be available. Anyway is there any interest in seeing how a tire is changed?

That's a GREAT idea, I'm sure a few haven't ever seen that done. Besides, there are plenty of cool little tricks that I'm sure someone would like to see.