paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

Google is your friend here. The tests are administered by local ham clubs at various times and locations. Bagster will hopefully chime in- he recently took it in East County.

Like FakeName said, Google for sure. For North County, Palomar Amateur Radio Club is a great resource. Plus once you're licensed you can chat with them off the Palomar repeater and listen in for etiquette and such.

Still working on the symposium. It won't be about licensing, only operations, but it's going to happen.

For those that have bougt Smiley Antennas, what frequency did you have it tuned for?

What are most of you guys using for your every talk channel?

811970210_R2vEm-L.jpg

What do you think I am doing all day??; checking on the latest Moto Chat?

Seriously, I used Gordo's Technician Class, Element 2 License Prep book from HAM Radio Outlet $19.

If you don't mind being spoken to like a 15yr old who is Over The Top excited about HAM, the text explains whys and whats in addition to just passing the test.

When Bagstr mentioned Gordon West's Radio Element 2 book I went out and found mine.

I have a Technician Class 2006-2010 book if anyone would like to borrow it and pass it along to other club members.

For those that have bougt Smiley Antennas, what frequency did you have it tuned for?

I have the 146.25- middle of the band.

Recently, I went to Racer X in Santee / Lakeside and purchased a new boom mic with a splitter so that I can run my ipod and radio through headphones.

Only bummer is that the music does not cut out when somebody is talking on the radio.

But, it sure is nice to listen to music and ride!

I did this because the BD setup had big speakers that smashed my ears in my new Shoei.

Just a tip: we had a rider in the group this weekend who used a cheap system- I think it was a motocom? that sounded terrible. Apparently the reception and audio were fine, but the transmission was really over-modulated and LOUD. You could see when he transmitted at a stop- other riders were grabbing their cables to pull the plugs. Very garbled and not anything you'd want to listen to for any period of time from a riding buddy.

I'm all for cheaper solutions to the BD kit but that one was not it.

Hoss- good observation; some of my helmets accomodate the speakers fine (fox and street HJC) and others don't have room (dirt HJC and street shoei)

Test fit a helmet first

Now the question is, where do I take the test at?

I'm signed up to take it next Sat the 15th up in Julian at 4:30.......e-mail Steve and get on the list (I didn't sign up for the all day class, just the test.......which means I should probably start reading study mat'ls/taking practice tests? :drinks::) ) ......actually, I could probably be talked into taking the free/all day class if someone else wants to spend the day up there......probably a good idea since I know I'll procrastinate on reading the material/taking practice tests.....

Class announcement:

One-Day Amateur Radio Technician License Class in Julian:

Saturday, May 15th, 2010, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM with breaks and a 1 hour lunch

1704 Cape Horn, Julian, CA, 92036

(Cross street is SR-78, located behind Library) Class is Free VE Testing, (4:30 PM to 7 PM) and costs $5 Please RSVP with Steve Early at ad6vi at cox dot net to ensure enough materials and seats.

Note: Recommended that you bring your own lunch

I could probably be talked into taking the free/all day class if someone else wants to spend the day up there......probably a good idea since I know I'll procrastinate on reading the material/taking practice tests.....

I really need to do this. Let me check w/ the lady/calendar/escrow and I'll shoot you a text. BTW I hate tests :drinks:

In case if you can't make the class in Julian, Ham Radio Outlet in Kearney Mesa can also tell you where to take the test to get your technician's license. Their website will turn right up with an internet search for Ham Radio Outlet San Diego.

I signed up for this class (Julian, May 15th) with a couple of guys at work. I think I am number 33 out of 35 spots. Just wanted to let everyone know that there still might be a couple spots left.

-Mike

I signed up for this class (Julian, May 15th) with a couple of guys at work. I think I am number 33 out of 35 spots. Just wanted to let everyone know that there still might be a couple spots left.

-Mike

Hobiee and I will be there......

Awesome see you guys there! Are you fishing for free beers, as payment for helping me pick out my bike when I first joined? :unsure::)

In case if you can't make the class in Julian, Ham Radio Outlet in Kearney Mesa can also tell you where to take the test to get your technician's license. Their website will turn right up with an internet search for Ham Radio Outlet San Diego.

Weekly testing sites:

http://www.sandarc.net/VE.html

Hobiee and I will be there......

New wrinkle - I'm out

My Lab, Chugi, has been drinking heavily the past couple of weeks (I had to put down my ~13+ yr old retriever a couple of weeks ago and Chugi has never known life without him)

chugibeer.jpg

So I went to the North County Animal Shelter earlier this week (it’s literally a 2 minute walk from ViaSat)……looked at/played with a bunch of dogs………and wound up adopting this 1.5 year old black female mut…….the tag says Border Collie mix……who knows……maybe Border Collie/Lab mix???……she's lean/gentle/friendly……plenty of energy (the shelter employee had a hell of a time trying get the dog to stay still long enough for me to attempt a phone pic.....the pic below is the best I could do!)……should be a good match for Chugi to play “fetch” and “tug” with/against (there’s a void to be filled now that Buddy is gone)

She's scheduled for 2 operations tomorrow morning (umbilical hernia (discovered on exam) and spay)......she'll also be micro chipped......then I'm picking her up between 5-6pm and bringing her home……TOMORROW (I thought they’d keep her for a day or two after the operations?)......with a cone around her neck (I assume)......to a foreign setting…….with new people/dogs.......this should be interesting......pretty big day for the new/(as yet unnamed) addition to the family.....

I think she’s entitled to be a bit “bitchy” tomorrow !!! So I’m going to blow off the licensing class/stay home all day Sat and just hang out rather than locking her alone in a room or leaving her out back with the other dogs……the new addition to the family needs a bit less trauma and a bit more TLC……

playmate.jpg

Sorry to hear about having to put your retriever down, but congrats on the new addition.

New names in honor of skipping your licensing test: Yaesu, Com, Ham, PTT ;) Hope she settles in after the surgies and has a blast with Chugi.

Okay, I am in the class and I have to say that this is a terrible way to spend such a beutiful Saturday! My buddy and I skipped lunch and tracked down a few geocaches. The class is just going through the pool of 392 possible questions. The class is not about ham radio basics; it is purely focused on teaching how to pass the test. I studied before hand so the class is essentially worthless. Learn from my mistake, skip the class and only show for the exam at the end of the day. Just study at home online before hand.

Mike

New names in honor of skipping your licensing test: Yaesu, Com, Ham, PTT :tease: Hope she settles in after the surgies and has a blast with Chugi.

Regarding a name for the new mut........some background........my brother's dog, “Jewel” threw a litter of lab puppies two weeks after Larry lost his battle with Melanoma in Sept of 04 (the litter of pups was his final gift to friends/family…....as far as Larry was concerned, one of the most important functions I would have to fulfill as of Executor of the Estate (in the event Larry was no longer alive when the puppies were born) would be to make sure I had “The List” regarding who would get a puppy as a gift from Larry)……..we thought the dog would only have 6-8 pups so Larry prepared a list with 8 names……….but she threw 11 puppies!!!…....I flew Jewell down to live with my mother and father and I wound up flying one puppy down from Alaska at 8 weeks old …....”Chugi” was born in the city of “Chugiak” Alaska where my brother lived (hence the name “Chugi”……my way of keeping the connection to Larry/Alaska alive)…….and the new girl in the family was just adopted so Chugi would have a playmate now that his older brother, Buddy, has passed on…….

Where is all this leading........came up with a name for the new Mut........sticking with the “Cities of Alaska” theme again on the new addition…… brought “Juneau” home last night bright and surpirisingly chipper in the passenger seat given that she'd been spayed/micro chiped/hernia operation ours before........and she's already taking control on the bed at home.....no issue with other dogs.....

Juneautruck.jpg

Desmo - thanks for heads up on class.........guess I'll just register for the test when the time comes.......

Learn from my mistake, skip the class and only show for the exam at the end of the day. Just study at home online before hand.

So are you, Hobiee, and (?) licensed now?

Sorry to bump a year-old 20 page thread, but I have quick question for those of you "in-the-know".

Quoted from FN earlier in the thread

The current kit I recommend is:

Yaesu VX170 or the NEW! VX270r [edited to correct foolish error]

Yaesu CT91 cable

The Baja Designs 65-0001 radio kit without radio.

The Baja Designs Yaesu adapter cable.

Optional: The Smiley 5/8 wave Antenna

That's about all you need. Racer-X can also put a similar kit together for you, but their warranty is pathetic. Baja Designs has always been real good about replacing parts that have failed (and they do, sometimes) and have constantly updated their stuff for reliability. The latest helmet kit I've seen even has a little cable for an iPod- you may wish to ask them about that

Is this still the current recommendation? Although I am not riding, I'd like to have a radio set-up before desert dash. Yes, I plan to get the required licensing as well :coolio:

Sorry to bump a year-old 20 page thread, but I have quick question for those of you "in-the-know".

Quoted from FN earlier in the thread

The current kit I (we) recommend is:

RADIO: Yaesu VX-170 (discontinued) or the 170 replacement; FT-270r

(BUY: Ham Radio Outlet)

NEEDED ACC: Yaesu CT91 adapter cable

(BUY: Hame Radio Outlet)

HELMET KIT and HARNESS: The Baja Designs 65-0001 radio kit without radio.

(make sure to order this kit with a "two prong Yaesu adapter")

(BUY: Baja Designs)

OPTIONAL ANTENNAS for RANGE: The Smiley 5/8 wave Antenna (tuned to your operating freq) or the COMET SMA24, or the DIAMOND SRH77CA

(JAT is currently testing ALL of these antennas for best range in all freq ranges for our "riding" type use - stay tuned!!!)

(BUY: Smiley Antenna, or Ham Radio Outlet)

Is this still the current recommendation? Although I am not riding, I'd like to have a radio set-up before desert dash. Yes, I plan to get the required licensing as well :coolio:

Actually... yes, I corrected a couple of the comments in the post for ya. And added "where to buy"...etc.

If you go and buy the radio, I'd be happy to remove the mars/cap and add about 80 channels if you'd like. Those channels are "race" channels that include freqs for racers like McMillan, RGordon, Herbst, and key freqs like Mag7, BajaPits, Weatherman.... if your asking "why would I need those?". You really don't, but if you ever go to Baja for a race (or to Primm, or Laughlin), you get to listen in on the action using your radio as a scanner. I do have a freq commonly used by SDAR too. And of course, I can add in some of the local mtn top repeaters, local airport radio towers (they might be on 70M, can't remember), and ship to shore (for fun listening).

If SDAR puts all their freqs together, I'd be happy to make a program and upload it to all Yaesu or vertex branded radios (that i have software for) for the DD event.