paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

Its on my eventual list. But I am also thinking about finding a new ramp after seeing Paul's and envying the more safe looking loading procedure.

"safe" is over rated :)

Jason... the system you have is fine...just keep practicing... if you try to keep up with the Paul bling:

a) you'll be poor trying to keep up

:lol: as people catch up to his fine array of toys, he'll just buy more to stay ahead of the curve...

Its on my eventual list. But I am also thinking about finding a new ramp after seeing Paul's and envying the more safe looking loading procedure.

"safe" is over rated :)

Jason... the system you have is fine...just keep practicing... if you try to keep up with the Paul bling:

:lol: as people catch up to his fine array of toys, he'll just buy more to stay ahead of the curve...

I mostly need a better step mine is too low for getting into the bed of my truck I think

I mostly need a better step mine is too low for getting into the bed of my truck I think

Forget the step.....just use "2" ramps.....one for bike and one for walking.....got in that habit with my road bikes........I use two 2 X 12's with ramp tips on the ends.....makes life easy......

Forget the step.....just use "2" ramps.....one for bike and one for walking.....got in that habit with my road bikes........I use two 2 X 12's with ramp tips on the ends.....makes life easy......

yeah... what he said... if you buy the kits they sell at Home Depot, they come with two ends... get two boards, and your golden.

"safe" is over rated :huh:

:lazy: as people catch up to his fine array of toys, he'll just buy more to stay ahead of the curve...

This might be a good idea:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/848807492.html

fn

Okay!!! I got the radios from Ham Radio Outlet... I asked if he had any in stock - "Of course we do! we sell probably ten of them a day" was their reply. They were $129 each. Unfortunately I forgot to pick up the connector cable while I was there, so I'll have to go back down.. Baja Designs didn't have any helmet speaker/mic setups in stock, and they won't have any ready until Tuesday at the earliest. I guess that gives me a few days to play with the radio and figure out how it works!!!

BD also offered to "program" the radios for me when I come in to pick up the headsets. Does that just entail setting up presets? If so, I'm pretty sure I can handle that myself (maybe).

So, what's the SDAR frequency Kenneth???

:)

Okay!!! I got the radios from Ham Radio Outlet... I asked if he had any in stock - "Of course we do! we sell probably ten of them a day" was their reply. They were $129 each. Unfortunately I forgot to pick up the connector cable while I was there, so I'll have to go back down.. Baja Designs didn't have any helmet speaker/mic setups in stock, and they won't have any ready until Tuesday at the earliest. I guess that gives me a few days to play with the radio and figure out how it works!!!

BD also offered to "program" the radios for me when I come in to pick up the headsets. Does that just entail setting up presets? If so, I'm pretty sure I can handle that myself (maybe).

So, what's the SDAR frequency Kenneth???

:)

Call either Cactus Racing or RacerX in Santee, they will probably have the Avcomm kits in stock. Depending on your bike, they might be able to supply a velcro attached PPT handlebar switch.

There is no official freq that I'm aware of. Just check in with everyone before the ride. Might also want to pick up a cool antenna from Smiley Antennas : here

It will make a difference.

Ok... I'm all set up now!

I got the radios, the helmet kit, and everything works great.

I decided to take the Technician test and be legal - it's a really easy test. I bought a book that had every question they can ask (there's a pool of around 360). They pick 35 out of the pool and you have to get 75% or better to pass. It took me a week of studying (including 7 or 8 hours on the plane) and I took the test in Carlsbad - They offer the test pretty much every weekend at some location in the county. It cost $5 to take. Everyone should do it so you can take advantage of everything the system has to offer! I tried it on a short ride around the neighborhood talking to my son who stayed at the house. Much better range than the old FRS/GMRS radios we have! I've even hit a few of the repeaters just fine. I can hit a couple on Palomar from my house in San Marcos - that should give me coverage for pretty much the entire county if needed...

I also grabbed the programming software and connect cable for the VX-170 and programmed both radios for all the standard simplex frequencies (radio to radio) and a buttload of local repeaters. If anyone has a radio and wants me to, I can squirt the programming into your radio - let me know and I'll bring my laptop...

I'm not too crazy about the way the Baja Designs push-to-talk switch mounts on the EXC. The clutch perch mount bolts are vertical so it takes a pretty good contortion of my hand to hit the button while riding. I think I'm going to wire up the jack into that stupid "flash to pass" switch on the front side of the blinker switch housing - you know the one that nobody ever uses to "flash to pass". I need to see if I can find the correct jack to wire it into so it will work with the Baja Designs wiring harness. Any suggestions on who might have blank plugs??? Ham Radio Outlet doesn't have any and Baja Designs wants to sell me the whole push-to-talk switch assemble to the tune of $23!

Now I just need to go on a real dirt ride with some of you guys that have them.

So, who else bought one of these things??

Ok... I'm all set up now!

I got the radios, the helmet kit, and everything works great.

I decided to take the Technician test and be legal - it's a really easy test. I bought a book that had every question they can ask (there's a pool of around 360). They pick 35 out of the pool and you have to get 75% or better to pass. It took me a week of studying (including 7 or 8 hours on the plane) and I took the test in Carlsbad - They offer the test pretty much every weekend at some location in the county. It cost $5 to take. Everyone should do it so you can take advantage of everything the system has to offer! I tried it on a short ride around the neighborhood talking to my son who stayed at the house. Much better range than the old FRS/GMRS radios we have! I've even hit a few of the repeaters just fine. I can hit a couple on Palomar from my house in San Marcos - that should give me coverage for pretty much the entire county if needed...

I also grabbed the programming software and connect cable for the VX-170 and programmed both radios for all the standard simplex frequencies (radio to radio) and a buttload of local repeaters. If anyone has a radio and wants me to, I can squirt the programming into your radio - let me know and I'll bring my laptop...

I'm not too crazy about the way the Baja Designs push-to-talk switch mounts on the EXC. The clutch perch mount bolts are vertical so it takes a pretty good contortion of my hand to hit the button while riding. I think I'm going to wire up the jack into that stupid "flash to pass" switch on the front side of the blinker switch housing - you know the one that nobody ever uses to "flash to pass". I need to see if I can find the correct jack to wire it into so it will work with the Baja Designs wiring harness. Any suggestions on who might have blank plugs??? Ham Radio Outlet doesn't have any and Baja Designs wants to sell me the whole push-to-talk switch assemble to the tune of $23!

Now I just need to go on a real dirt ride with some of you guys that have them.

So, who else bought one of these things??

First, welcome to the wonderful world of bike-to-bike comms.

There are two types of connectors, RCA and Nexus. RCA should look familiar to anyone who's hooked up audio gear. It's about 1/4 inch in diameter, with a metal conductor around the perimeter. But I believe BD has gone to a Nexus connector for the PTT. You can contact Racer X motorsports in Santee and ask them, but I suspect you'll end up just cutting off the BD switch. A buddy of mine did the same thing with his flash-to-pass switch and loves it. Be aware the you need to have the helmet kit attached to all the harnesses when troubleshooting.

Might also want to head over to Smiley Antenna and order one (or more) of these. They do make a difference. You'll need to tell them you're using it on a Yaesu HT to get the right connector.

And yes, I'd like to have my radios programmed. Have you joined the ECRA and/or SANDRA? I know by joining ECRA you get codes for phone patches and other goodies on their repeaters.

I've not been able to hit any repeaters in Corral Canyon, and have only tried a few times at McCain/Lark. There is a repeater on Superstition as well that could service all that area. I can't hit anything here in Mission Hills.

fn

There are two types of connectors, RCA and Nexus. RCA should look familiar to anyone who's hooked up audio gear. It's about 1/4 inch in diameter, with a metal conductor around the perimeter. But I believe BD has gone to a Nexus connector for the PTT. You can contact Racer X motorsports in Santee and ask them, but I suspect you'll end up just cutting off the BD switch. A buddy of mine did the same thing with his flash-to-pass switch and loves it. Be aware the you need to have the helmet kit attached to all the harnesses when troubleshooting.

Might also want to head over to Smiley Antenna and order one (or more) of these. They do make a difference. You'll need to tell them you're using it on a Yaesu HT to get the right connector.

And yes, I'd like to have my radios programmed. Have you joined the ECRA and/or SANDRA? I know by joining ECRA you get codes for phone patches and other goodies on their repeaters.

I've not been able to hit any repeaters in Corral Canyon, and have only tried a few times at McCain/Lark. There is a repeater on Superstition as well that could service all that area. I can't hit anything here in Mission Hills.

fn

It's not an RCA connector - must be the Nexus. It looks exactly like the military aviation headset connectors we fly with. I'll have to dig my headset out of the closet and compare. I don't think I have any female connectors however... I may have to bite the $21 bullet and buy a spare BD kit.

I need to order another antenna I'm sure... I'll give this one a try for a while. I did buy a cheap magnetic mount for the truck though and it makes a HUGE difference...

I'm still fiddling with the programming, but I think I have a pretty good set of frequencies. I'll have to post them up and we'll see if we can get a good "master SDAR program" set.

I'm still wondering which club to join. ECRA seems great for the desert areas along I-8. I wonder whether you can hit the Superstition repeater from Ocotillo Wells? Perhaps the Monument Peak repeater will reach all the way out there? The ECRA website is pretty sparse - good information about their repeaters, but no information on how/what/how-much it is to join.

I have to dig around and see what is in the Corral Canyon area in the way of repeaters...

fn

It's not an RCA connector - must be the Nexus. It looks exactly like the military aviation headset connectors we fly with. I'll have to dig my headset out of the closet and compare. I don't think I have any female connectors however... I may have to bite the $21 bullet and buy a spare BD kit.

I need to order another antenna I'm sure... I'll give this one a try for a while. I did buy a cheap magnetic mount for the truck though and it makes a HUGE difference...

I'm still fiddling with the programming, but I think I have a pretty good set of frequencies. I'll have to post them up and we'll see if we can get a good "master SDAR program" set.

I'm still wondering which club to join. ECRA seems great for the desert areas along I-8. I wonder whether you can hit the Superstition repeater from Ocotillo Wells? Perhaps the Monument Peak repeater will reach all the way out there? The ECRA website is pretty sparse - good information about their repeaters, but no information on how/what/how-much it is to join.

I have to dig around and see what is in the Corral Canyon area in the way of repeaters...

I believe the Nexus IS the same aircraft connector- all this gear is aviation based. Both ECRA and SANDRA allow non-members to use their repeaters, so we should try each one when we go to whatever riding destination. I've been a slacker and not trying too much. Problem is that there's so little ham traffic anymore, I don't know if I'm not hitting it, or if nobody wants to talk to me. :rolleyes: I guess it's best to find which set of repeaters work and join them- it's good to support the ham clubs.

fn

Way to go Doug!!!

One of these days I'll work a bit harder on getting my helmet(s) wired.

I made the mistake of buying an intercom system that would allow you play your iPod and automagically switch between cell phone or radio. Pretty cool idea but didn't work to my satisfaction as the wiring harness was a bit flakey and the switching time between modes was rather slow.

That and the supplied speakers and mike for the helmet were total throw aways. Probably not too bad for a road bike or in car setup but just didn't cut it for dirt bike applications.

Some day I'll break down and check out the Baja Designs setup.

Meanwhile I just use the speaker mic for my VX-6 and clip it to my back pack strap. Works reasonably well for casual trail riding. I pretty much have my radio with me in my back pack at all times when I ride. It will be nice to have someone else along who has one on rides. Would have definitely helped us out at Big Bear too :-)

Daryl (KJ4KK)

Fine! Because Of Doug I now have to go out to my motor home and Find my Hand held dual band. Then I have to find the instruction booklet and find out how to really use the darn thing. Then I have to go shopping and buy those helmet mounted speakers/microphone things with the push to talk wire every where thingy. Then I have to get a new antenna. Then I have to mount all the stuff. Then I have to get the frequencies reprogrammed. Then because of Fakename I have to join another club, this one is a radio club, which I don't have to time for. Well a least I dont have to get a license. Edited out. :rolleyes:

Anybody know what kit # and adapters are needed for the avcomm setup to hook up to the vx-170 do you think that the dual band radios are better like the vx8r or the ft-60

how much was the avcomm vs. the bd kit

what freqs are the race radios and teams running?

whats the sdar freq set going to be?

just wondering since im kind of a tech junkie just weighing the frs/gmrs vs ham set ups

whos running what ?

xxx

That is a great write up!! I tried some moto-comm helmet mics with my garmin rino with no success. Since they were not the high grade noise canceling mic, every time someone would talk the engine noise was too loud. Thanks for the info.

Z.

I have a new in the box 20 year old helmet radio. I never used it but I think it is an FM set. I believe it is bike to bike.

Don

Anybody know what kit # and adapters are needed for the avcomm setup to hook up to the vx-170 do you think that the dual band radios are better like the vx8r or the ft-60

how much was the avcomm vs. the bd kit

what freqs are the race radios and teams running?

whats the sdar freq set going to be?

just wondering since im kind of a tech junkie just weighing the frs/gmrs vs ham set ups

whos running what ?

xxx

If you get the VX-170 from Ham Radio Outlet, grab the adapter plug from them (it's like $10). Yaesu has a single pin mic/headset plug where most others have dual pin setups. The adapter plugs into the radio and has two cords. The headset cord is the same as your ipod headphones (except it's mono, not stereo) and the mic cord is slightly smaller.

Here's a diagram of the adapter from the universal radio website:

0951dia.jpg

The dual-banders do have some features you might use. I've found that there are a few 440 repeaters around here, but if your main goal is the bikes - grab the 170. 2 Meters is plenty sufficient. If you decide you want to get more into it, you'll probably want to buy a mobile unit (to put in your vehicle) and can grab a dual band mobile and keep the handheld for the bike and walking. the VX-170 is rugged.. and at $120 it's perfect for rough use on the bike. Also, like I posted earlier, I've got the cable and software for the 170 (they don't work with other radios) so I can program your radio for you from the computer - much easier than punching everything in on the radio itself. Now, the one advantage of the 440 band is that they'll receive FRS/GMRS frequencies. They won't transmit on them unless you do some hacking and modifying.

When I bought the Baja Designs helmet kits, the guy offered to program my radio to the frequencies they use down in Baja. He mentioned the Honda pit teams, etc. I declined since it's pretty easy to set up yourself. You just have to know the right freqencies.

I suspect the SDAR freq's will be just the simplex frequencies with maybe a repeater backup (for licensed operators) if riders get separated further than simplex will allow.

Let me tell you, there's NO COMPARISON between FRS/GMRS and the ham setup. I loved the 170 so much that I went and bought a mobile, all band/all mode unit for my truck. With the VX-170 handheld, stock cheezy antenna, I can sit in my living room in San Marcos and hit the repeaters on Palomar Mountain and talk to people all over the county! I was playing around the other day with a repeater down in Poway that links through the internet to various repeaters all over the world. I linked the Poway repeater to a repeater in Utah and was talking to my dad via that link... If you're a tech junkie, you'll love ham!

While you're in Ham Radio Outlet, grab the Gordon West book to study for your technician license. It's piece of cake, SANDARC offers tests almost every weekend, and it cost $5... (GMRS licenses are $85 I believe now).

Another thing that you can do with many of the dual band mobiles that you mount in your vehicle is put them in to repeater mode.

That way you could transmit on the 70 cm band on your HT and have the mobile in your vehicle repeat the signal out to a repeater on 2 m.

If there aren't any good repeaters in range of the hand held radio where you're riding and you can park the vehicle in a high spot with reasonable recepetion, then there's a chance you could hit the vehicle from the riding area and then from there get out to a repeater.

I used to do that from shopping malls when I'd be walking around inside and unable to hit a repeater directly. I could still hit the mobile in my car and then from there get to a repeater.

Just another option to play with.

I used to have a 15 element 2 m beam antenna an rotator when I lived back east and could routinely work stations direct way over 50 miles away and often hit repeaters that were 150 miles or so. I did live on high ground though and that helps.

Sounds like I'm going to need some geek-help from you guys- I can't see to hit any repeaters from anywhere. Home is in Mission Hills, so it's a stretch to Otay, probably the closest.

Suggestions?

fn

Sounds like I'm going to need some geek-help from you guys- I can't see to hit any repeaters from anywhere. Home is in Mission Hills, so it's a stretch to Otay, probably the closest.

Suggestions?

fn

I can hit the a couple of the Otay repeaters from high ground in San Marcos. It sounds like you're not setting the radio up correctly. Repeaters receive on one frequency and transmit on the other. That way they can listen to you and rebroadcast at the same time. On the 2-meter band, they typically offset by 600 kHz either up or down (indicated by a + or -).

Check out this map:

SD2m.gif

Lets say you want to hit the first repeater on the Mt. Otay (146.640 - 107.2). It transmits on (you receive on) 146.640. It receives on (you transmit on) 600 kHz less than (indicated by the '-') that or 146.040. It also requires a PL (sub audible) tone of 107.2 Hz to activate the repeater. There are three pieces of information you need to program in to the radio. Frequency, offset, and in this case PL tone. Go into VFO mode (press the VFO button). Punch in YOUR receive frequency (on the VX-170 hit 4 6 6 4 0, you don't put the leading 1). You'll notice up top on the screen there is a '-' symbol. The radio already knows this frequency has a negative offset. If the repeater is non-standard (ie uses a + instead of a minus) press 'F' then '4' (RPT) then the tune knob for + - or OFF. Here, leave it at the default for this frequency, minus.Press the transmit button, you should see 146.040 appear on the screen - indicating that the shift is working.

The final part is kind of tricky. To avoid unintended operation, most repeaters require sub-audible tones be sent in order to turn on the repeat function and avoid erroneous tripping(you can use this function between radios too, so you don't hear anyone that isn't using the tone - on FRS/GMRS radios it's called the "privacy" codes - even though anyone else can hear you, you just can't hear them). It's called CTCSS. On the VX-170, hit 'F' then '1' (SQTYPE). Rotate the tune knob (at the base of the volume knob) until the word 'TONE' appears on the screen. Press the 'F' key to confirm. Now you'll see the 'T' indicator next to the '-' on the screen. The final step is to set the tone frequency. Hit the 'F' key then the '2' (code) button. Rotate the tune knob until '107.2' appears on the screen. Hit the 'F' key to confirm. You should now be talking to and able to trip the repeater. Key it up and ask for a signal check!!!

Then the trick is to save this into a memory slot so you don't have to go through all that work next time!!!

Pages 19-22 of the manual do a pretty good job of telling you how to set up the radio for repeaters, but they assume you already understand how a repeater works.

Let us know how it works out!

Is that somthing that can be programed with the software so that almost all of us can have the sam programming in our radios? So that we can meet on sdar ch 32simplex or 32r ? can hipass and mt luguna be hit from OW or superstition? can you program mine too?

xxx

Is that somthing that can be programed with the software so that almost all of us can have the sam programming in our radios? So that we can meet on sdar ch 32simplex or 32r ? can hipass and mt luguna be hit from OW or superstition? can you program mine too?

xxx

Absolutely!!! You can do it one of two ways. I can program my radio then clone it to yours. Or I can program it on my computer and squirt it to your radio. I only have the software for the VX-170 though so if you get a different model, you'll have to buy the programming software and we'll have to convert the data file to the new software. It's a bit of work, but I was able to do it for my Yaesu mobile I put in the truck. But I did have to spend $50 on the mobile's software...

I have current program of about 100 frequencies (simplex, or radio to radio; and repeaters for SD county as well as a few other places I found data for - big bear, orange county, San Bernardino county, etc...) If we get the same programming you can just relay a memory number to everyone (ie meet on channel 6 and if no contact, go to the repeater on channel 23). A huge benefit!

I haven't tried repeaters from desert yet. I know there is a repeater on superstition from the ECRA website. I think we should be able to hit the Mt Laguna repeaters from the entire Ocotillo Wells, Superstition areas too...

I'd be glad to throw my programming into anybody's radio... Next time I can break away from household duties and go on a ride, let me know and I'll bring along my laptop and the cable!!