paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

PS: I hope Strega gets one, just so I can say "roger, Roger!"

Monday I'll be back from working in Vegas, and I shall purchase mine. Even considering buying 2 to pimp it out to other people since it comes so highly recommended.

I think you should be getting some kickbacks or something if we all go buy a bunch of these things :lol:

PS: I hope Strega gets one, just so I can say "roger, Roger!"

Monday I'll be back from working in Vegas, and I shall purchase mine. Even considering buying 2 to pimp it out to other people since it comes so highly recommended.

I think you should be getting some kickbacks or something if we all go buy a bunch of these things :lol:

So we're talking $300 to listen to Paul sing obscure show tunes?

Actually; I may buy one... the only real concern I had with it was spending the time to hook it up, and take it off, and worrying about crushing Paul radio in a crash...

What's your Vector, Victor?

Questions?

fn

The description says the system connects with "FRS systems" such as Kenwood.....does that mean that you may be able to interface your VX-170 radio with one of the 2 channels available on my old school Chatterbox HJC FRS Multisport? :lol: The Multisport is Frequency Modulated (FM) and the VX-170 is also FM (I think? :lol: .........I never claimed to be overly "radio smart" :lol::lol::lol: )

The answer: I don't know. Possibly. I'd have to hack it in reverse. The Chatterbox, as I understand it, used alpha designations for channels, not specific frequencies. The VX170 can certainly scan, so I'd have to figure out how to set the scannin, have you transmit, and note the freq. Then, if the chatterbox transmits and receives on the SAME frequency (that is, no offset) it could work. But I'm thoroughly unmotivated. And only the illegally modded vx170 can reach the FRS bands. There are advantages to operating up there- the freqs are legal, and the true ham guys are less likely to care, even if they could hear a duplex, non-repeatered conversation from way out in the desert. I am a licensed ham, and try to respect the rules, but also am fairly practical. I wouldn't operate on a busy channel, nor use poorly constructed or modified equipment.

But- to operate legally, the repeater traffic would be awfully rude, not to mention the requirement for constant call signs. Even though the vx170 can be programmed to signal your call in morse at the appropriate intervals, I just don't think it's practical. Probably best way to to set up the radio to scan the repeaters AND the duplex channel. And one day, I may figure out how to do it. The ham license costs something like $15 or less. It's pretty easy to pass, and the ham clubs give the exams a few times per month.

Yes, I do get a kickback for selling radios: More folks on radios is safer for me on rides. Frankly, that's the payback. If you've ridden with me, you know I tend to crash, and the best thing next to not-crashing is quick rescue ; )

And I rarely sing showtunes. I ain't man enough.

fn

Just wasn't sure if there was some method of them "catching" you using a repeater especially in an emergency when you were not licensed for it. Sounds cheap/easy enough it might not be too much of a bother, hell my wife's grandpa is a HAM operator from the old days he could probably show me everything.

Just wasn't sure if there was some method of them "catching" you using a repeater especially in an emergency when you were not licensed for it. Sounds cheap/easy enough it might not be too much of a bother, hell my wife's grandpa is a HAM operator from the old days he could probably show me everything.

You can also search online and take pratice tests. Everything is there at your finger tips. Heck even I was able to get licensed. I guess I'd better check and see when I'm up for renewal.

During an true emergency, they don't really care. But the repeaters are owned and operated by clubs- think the SDAR of the ham repeaters- and its uncool to use their repeater for non-emergency traffic without being a member of their gang. It's something like $20 per year.

It would be cool to use repeaters the whole time- range would be killer- but each time you warn your buddies of oncoming quad traffic, you have to use your call sign, state your message, the call sign again. Not practical.

I believe for Baja, they set up their own private repeaters on the mountain with the weather guy.

fn

Bike to bike comms in the dirt (and road) are awesome. My riding buddies and I have been using the Chatterboxes (FRS X2) for a couple of years and they've been great. Especially the time I was trying to catch up and stuffed it and was trapped under my bike in a bush. (Don't ask.) I like the Chatterbox because of the voice-activiated feature and because I can plug my iPod into it and even my phone on long road trips.

I don't really like the look of having it stuck on the side of my helmet but grudgingly admit that once it's on I don't notice it's there at all. The other thing I don't like is having wires connecting me to the bike or just dangling off my head. They always seem to get caught in the collar of my jacket or Leatt brace.

So I just bought the new Bluetooth Chatterbox. It'll connect to my iPod and phone without any wires. Should arrive sometime next week and I can't wait to try it out. It's also GMRS which should extend the radio's range, especially when I get my license. :P

If anyone cares, I'll let you know how it works out.

Bike to bike comms in the dirt (and road) are awesome. My riding buddies and I have been using the Chatterboxes (FRS X2) for a couple of years and they've been great. Especially the time I was trying to catch up and stuffed it and was trapped under my bike in a bush. (Don't ask.) I like the Chatterbox because of the voice-activiated feature and because I can plug my iPod into it and even my phone on long road trips.

I don't really like the look of having it stuck on the side of my helmet but grudgingly admit that once it's on I don't notice it's there at all. The other thing I don't like is having wires connecting me to the bike or just dangling off my head. They always seem to get caught in the collar of my jacket or Leatt brace.

So I just bought the new Bluetooth Chatterbox. It'll connect to my iPod and phone without any wires. Should arrive sometime next week and I can't wait to try it out. It's also GMRS which should extend the radio's range, especially when I get my license. :rolleyes:

If anyone cares, I'll let you know how it works out.

I doubt a wireless option like Bluetooth will work well in an offroad environment with lots of movement, noise, and distance. But share your results with us.

Shock

Paul-

ANY system will work well when your KTM is wedged in the weeds, 10 yards off the trail :rolleyes:

next time YOU are getting wired up with fake name...

Ok, for the one request so for:

There is a LOT of junk out there, chatterboxes, FRS, Rino/w gps, gmrs, etc, etc. Throat mics, ear mics, plenty of cheap ways to try to do it. There are much cheaper radios, much cheaper headphone/michrophone combinations. Personally, I see this as a piece of safety equipment.

The simple way (thee are other ways) is to buy the kits from Baja Designs. BD has the world's crappiest website, so I had to clip a piece to show you:

bdradiokit.jpg

Fortunately, it does not come with the radio you need. It will work with a multitude of radios.

Which radio do you want? This one:

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/ht/0170.html

Buy it at Ham Radio Outlet in Kearny Mesa for $119. You should be aware that an FCC ham license is required to operate this radio. That typed, you must also be aware that the speed limit on the freeway is 65 miles an hour.

The advantage, however, of taking the one-hour exam to get your tech license is that you can then use repeaters. And why would you want to do that? Nearly everywhere we ride locally, you can communicate with a mountain top repeating station that will expand the range of these small radios to nearly everywhere. If you're geeky-er than I am, you can hit telephone patches as well. Because not all areas are covered by cell phones. If SDAR were to have an accepted radio protocol, say, after losing comms with a rider for over 15 mins, we all switch to the repeater freq, we could all be back in touch in seconds. But for everyday riding, folks just use these bike-to-bike without clogging the airwaves.

Seriously, these radios are practically indestructible, and as they're waterproof, I wash mine in the sink when they get dirty.

They are 5 watt radios- about as powerful as a talkie can be. Realistically, the range can vary from a few hundred feet in deep woods or canyons to several miles in open areas.

I usually carry my extra setup with me if I have my car or truck, and if you'd like to try it out, just let me know. They install in your helmet and camelbak in about 15 mins.

Questions?

fn

So; using my mental calculator... two radios, and two headsets will run about $600?

That's steep, but probably good for baja days, and technical terrain...

KA9452 clear

Yes, if you need two setups. Like I typed, you CAN do this cheaper, but not on the same frequencies and with the same reliability.

If you're riding with folks using this stuff, you can use a radio and an earpiece to listen in on the others. But to transmit, you'd have to get the radio out and key it to talk- not practical with both hands on the bars, and you're not contributing to the safety of others, as in warning of oncoming traffic, etc.

fn

I doubt a wireless option like Bluetooth will work well in an offroad environment with lots of movement, noise, and distance. But share your results with us.

Shock

I've had the Bluetooth Chatterbox for two weeks now.

Good: No wires. No wires. Easy to set up and connect Bluetooth accessories (phone and iPod). Bike to bike radio works well and the VOX (voice-activiated microphone) is easy to adjust while riding, even off-road.

Bad: It doesn't seem like the iPod volume is as high as when wired to the Chatterbox. The phone functions aren't what I would choose but . . .

I got the Bluetooth Chatterbox and Chatterbox's icombi dongle (the thing that connects the iPod to the Chatterbox) and have used it with my Verizon Voyager phone.

Phone: It's very easy to connect the phone the first time and thereafter. Once the phone is paired to the headset, all you do is push and hold the "Mode" button until "bt" shows on the display and you're ready to make and receive calls. When someone calls you, the music turns off and you hear a beeping tone in your helmet. You push the "Mode" button to answer. Simple. People have always criticized the phone quality when I'm on the bike but my wife reports that it's no worse with Bluetooth and she can understand me, it's just not really clear due to wind noise.

The thing I don't like is that, with my Voyager, when you push the "Mode" button, the phone redials. On my old phone, when it was wired to the old CHatterbox, it went into voice activation mode. I could then say "Call Home" and it would. So this way I cannot place calls to whomever I want. I'm going to try it with my Motorola Q next and see how that works.

iPod: The iPod and dongle connected very easily to the Chatterbox. Once paired, all I have to do is turn both on and music starts playing automatically. Cool! So far though, I haven't been able to get the volume up as high as I would like. This is ONLY a problem on the freeway at higher speeds. Off road the iPod is plenty loud enough.

I'm wondering if this is due to the dongle so I'm going to borrow a different brand dongle from the stealership and see how it works.

Overall, I'm pleased with things and really enjoy not having any wires dangling off my helmet. I've always dug the Chatterbox bike-to-bike radio (which works fine with the set up above BTW) and the rider-to-passenger intercom works great too. If I can get my other phone to work the way I want I'll count myself a happy man!!

having one radio would not make sense, would it?

unless you promise to go on every ride I want to go on...

I'm waiting...

so... I'll need two

I'm waiting...

so... I'll need two

Not really. If other riders don't have radios, you can't communicate with them (on the radio at least) true. But buying a second one yourself doesn't make much sense either. It's relatively easy to install the headset into a helmet but not so easy that you'd want to do it before each ride nor would you want to remove it after each ride. It's just not that convenient. You wouldn't want to buy one for other people to use.

Each of the guys I regularly ride with has bought their own Chatterbox (or other compatible system).

When I ride with people who don't have radios I still bring a walkie talkie for emergency use.

I'm waiting...

so... I'll need two

Not really. If other riders don't have radios, you can't communicate with them (on the radio at least) true. But buying a second one yourself doesn't make much sense either. It's relatively easy to install the headset into a helmet but not so easy that you'd want to do it before each ride nor would you want to remove it after each ride. It's just not that convenient. You wouldn't want to buy one for other people to use.

Each of the guys I regularly ride with has bought their own Chatterbox (or other compatible system).

When I ride with people who don't have radios I still bring a walkie talkie for emergency use.

Do you know the specific numeric frequency the chatterbox uses?

fn

Do you know the specific numeric frequency the chatterbox uses?

fn

They are the standard GMRS and FRS channels.

Yes, I understand.

But some transceivers are VFO capable, and not labeled 1,2,3, etc. I'm interested in their actual frequency in mhz- but I think I found a chart online.

The setup I use is adaptable to different radios, and if enough folks were to use the frs/gmrs, I'd try to find a VFO-capable 5 watt HT in that band. I think the 2 watts of most frs/gmrs to be a little shy of power.

There are gmrs repeaters out there, but take a little digging, and are nowhere near as plentiful as the 2 meter.

The advantages of frs/gmrs is low cost for the radios, and compatibility with the Chatterbox and Garmin Rino systems. But then there are the "privacy" options on some of the units, about which I'm clueless.

Just looking at options.

fn

FN

Would you be interested in helping me put together a system? Im a complete electroidiot!

Currently have an older 5 pin AutoCom System, Yaesu 170, and a phone. Hoping to pick up a few things and integrate all of them. PTT, GPS, new helmet (Dirt or DualSport), and an IPod thingie...... Sold a bike and have cash now for most of it. :D I really need your expertise, knowledge or advice!

Thanks in Advance,

Spyder

Sounds like you're already on the way. With all those devices, something like an Autocomm is probably the way to go. I have no experience with the modular systems like those.

fn

Anyone interested in trying track down a store that will sell less for more if we get a few people to buy the 170 i want two or three. can they go 440 mhz too. or be modded to do frs/gmrs? dont raceradios operate in these ranges i need one for the races this year. worked great except when our class 7 was upsidedown..

I doubt you'd be able to knock the price of a VX170 with a group buy- they are already discounted pretty heavily. Yes, the 170 can be modded to reach freqs higher than the 148 band, but not into frs/gmrs.

There MIGHT be a possibility of a group buy for the helmet kit and wiring harness via Racer X in Santee- nice folks, and I prefer the Avcomm stuff they sell over the Baja Designs stuff. However, the BD PTT switch mount is a big help, and different bikes will have different mounting points. So, it would be tricky to find a system universal enough to make a group buy.

fn

we just all want the same system you have, so we can appreciate the musical diversity that you possess

Its on my eventual list. But I am also thinking about finding a new ramp after seeing Paul's and envying the more safe looking loading procedure.