Sign in to follow this  
RogerTOWM

Doug & Roger's Big Adventure

My friend Doug and I planned to ride our touring bikes on June 25th through July 3. Our original aim was to head north along the coast and see what we could see. We would camp each night and try to make our own meals with some lunches being bought at fast food restaurants.

I work nights right now so we decided to wait until 10 am to start the trip. This let me get a couple hours of sleep before we got on the road. Doug arrived at my house at 10am sharp. He told me about the fires along the California coast. We discussed options and discovered that neither of us had a desire to either wait at closed roads or burn up. We decided to drive up Interstate 5 to Sacramento. We would then take Highway 20 to Highway 101. We would ride 101 north until we got tired and needed to turn back.

The first day we rode 417 miles and camped at Madera State Campground next to a reservoir. The wind was very strong along the lake. Waves were big enough for Hammer to surf on. We put our tents behind trees along the lake to help keep us out of the wind. It was a dry camp with spider filled porta potties for the only convenience.

Our first camp site of the trip. 1bikesparkedatMederacampground.jpg

We had dinner and I hit the rack. You could tell that we had traveled a way north because the sun set much later then at home.

Doug eating beans for dinner. I’m glad his tent is well away from mine.

2DougsdinnerBeans.jpg

The next day we woke up at dawn, ate breakfast, and decided the day’s route.

Doug plugging in the route into his GPS.

3Dougpluggingintheroute.jpg

We worked our way past Sacramento to Hwy 101. The rush hour traffic around Sacramento was no fun, but Hwy 101 made up for it.

A parking area along the beach in California on Hwy 101.

4OnthebeachHwy101inCalifornia.jpg

Driving up Hwy 101 toward Oregon.

5CrusingupHwy101.jpg

6CrusingupHwy101.jpg

7moreCrusingonHwy101.jpg

8moreCrusingonHwy101.jpg

Heading into a bay.

9moreCrusingonHwy101.jpg

We got into Oregon after driving another 416.75 miles on the 2nd day. We crossed a few bridges that we very pretty. To break up the monotony of the road we found a couple of geo-caches along the way.

We camped at a KOA campground in Waldport Oregon, again in heavy winds. The little store there had some local brews. They were all 20 ounce bottles so Doug and I shared one. It was the best ale I’ve had in several years. Sure wish I could remember the name of it so I could order some more from the brewery.

10CampgroundattheKOA.jpg

The next morning we continued up Hwy 101 across the Columbia River into Washington State. This was my first time into Washington and is the farthest north that I have been in the United States.

Looking down on the Columbia from the Washington side.

12InWashingtonoverlookingtheColumbi.jpg

Fields along the Coulmbia.

13FieldsalongtheColumbiaRiver.jpg

Proving I was there.

14MeinWashingtonoverlookingtheColum.jpg

We drove along the Washington side of the river for a few miles.

14DrivinginWashingtonalongtheColumb.jpg

We then crossed the “Bridge of the Gods” back into Oregon.

Bridge from the Oregon side.

16BridgeofthegodsacrosstheColumbiar.jpg

We kept traveling east until we hooked up with the Hood River when we turned south and followed the river.

Driving East.

19DougandtrailerrollingalongtheColu.jpg

Doug cruising along.

17DougCrusingalongthesouthsideofthe.jpg

Heading south along the Hood River.

21movingtowardMountHoodOregon.jpg

Mount Hood in the background.

22MountHoodOregontotheright.jpg

We stopped and had lunch at Doug’s favorite fast food spot, Dairy Queen. I think he likes it for their small servings.

20DougsbiglunchatDairyQueen.jpg

For the 3rd night we decided to camp in a Forest Service Camp Ground.

233rddayscampground.jpg

We had a few mosquitoes and the biggest ants I have ever seen. I hit the tent around dusk as the biting bugs came out.

The next morning we decided to go to La Pine Oregon and see some friends who live there. La Pine is about 40 minutes south of Bend. That is if you take the freeway. We didn’t take the freeway we rode forest roads, narrow forest roads, dirt forest roads!

24Onaforestsinglelaneroad.jpg

25Crusingdownaforestroad.jpg

Doug decided that I needed a 3 mile stretch of dirt road for my Harley.

Here he is turning left toward the dirt.

27Turningtowardthedirtforrestroad.jpg

The dirt road was well maintained for the most part, although the down hill sections were a bit washed out and had the thickest gravel.

28GoldwingandHarleyonthedirtroad.jpg

We passed an area of the forest that had been burnt over several years ago and was just recovering now. 29forrestrecoveringfromfire.jpg

Doug took this occasion to phone home.

30checkinginwithMoma.jpg

We made it to La Pine around 1:30 and spent the night with our friends. I quit taking photos at this point. We had a great chicken dinner at a bar 30 miles from anywhere. Instead of plates they put clean paper down on the table. It was the best roasted chicken I’ve had in a long time. The local brew wasn’t bad either.

The next morning we had planed to go down 395 and check out a couple of ghost towns. The news reports said that 395 was covered with heavy smoke from the fires so we went east to Idaho instead. Just inside of Idaho we ran into a summer rain and thunder storm. With heavy winds and large sideways rain, I was wet to the bone before we could pull over and get out our coats.

We stayed the night in a KOA campground in Mountain Home Idaho. Next morning we were up again bright and early. We headed south through Idaho into eastern Nevada.

A Deputy Sheriff pulled us over just as we entered Nevada. The speed limit had dropped down to 35 mph and there were no warning signs on the Idaho side of the border. I was doing about 40 but Doug was still at 50mph. After a stern tongue lashing he let us go. I really hate tongue lashings; it makes me feel like a little kid. But I guess it is better then a speeding ticket.

We stopped at a state camp ground about 124 miles north of Los Vegas. It had no showers but it was very well maintained. There were song birds all over the place and no mosquitoes. I talked to a lady working at the little town there. She said that the town’s people either drove to Idaho or Las Vegas for groceries. It really makes you appreciate the little 7-11 down the street.

The next morning we left in the wee early morning hours and drove through Vegas to home. It was already 103 degrees when we got to Las Vegas. We made it home a bit early but still had a great trip. I’m ready to do it again!

Looks like a wonderful tour and not nearly as punishing on bodies, bikes and tires as the dirt gig in the mountains. :blink:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

My wife would love to do a ride like that, on my 650L. :blink: Were can I rent a Gold Wing.

Nice pictures and write up.

Craig.

Craig how about BMW? Look here http://www.calif-motorcyclerental.com

Or a Can Am Spyder here www.sportbikerental.com/motorcycle_rentals.php

That would be different! I can’t find any local Goldwing rentals but there are a bunch of Harley rentals including Biggs in San Marcos. I know you like the sportier bikes :blink: but an electra glide does just fine for me. :D I get the same range as my friend's goldwing. You might checkout rentals in Las Vegas or Los Angles. I know you could find something in the Bay area if you wanted to start your trip from there.

Sandiegoland this trip was 2970 or so miles. Not to bad. I usually get between 3000 and 4000 miles on road trips so this one was a little shorter.