bfar33

Best Desert Tank for KTM?

I'm looking for a bigger tank for a 2017 KTM 350 EXC, anyone have a recommendation?

Prefer it not to kick my knees out but would like as much fuel as reasonably possible for desert/Baja trips.

Can anyone tell me if the 4.X gallon tanks are a lot wider than the stock bodywork?

IMS 3.2 gal
IMS 4.5 gal
Acerbis 4.0 gal
Any others?

Edited by bfar33

On my 2013 350 EXCF, I had a big tank to start... and it ended up I never really went that far. I was always lamenting that I put too much gas in and had to deal with the extra weight. I think mine was a KTM branded tank.

I ended up replacing the big tank the smaller 3.2g Acerbis tank, and I was much happier. Still plenty of range for me. I think I typically got 40mpg...

The tanks are shaped so they don't really feel much wider at your knees. But the weight is real. The biggest tanks replace the stock radiator "wing" bodywork and use that area for fuel. The somewhat smaller ones like the 3.2 gal keep the stock radiator wing bodywork.

Big:

image.thumb.jpeg.52075aeb42528f8bed3fac0991257e94.jpeg

Smaller:

image.thumb.jpeg.e7c35922da67244e81ae4153c89577e1.jpeg

Nice, thanks for the detailed response. I think Acerbis made those big tanks for KTM and it was probably a 4.1 or 5.1 gallon tank.

It's strangely difficult to find pictures of which tanks fit the 2017 and different places list different sizes that don't appear on the mfg website. Anyway, good to know they don't kick your knees out in general. Nice bike BTW!

Have you looked at TacoMoto and Slaven’s?  Rocky Mountain.

Acerbis has 3.1gal in black and natural 

and 4.0 in natural

IMS has 3.2 in black and natural

PM me, I can save you $50 off the retail price

Nice, thank you for that offer Kelly. I'll probably take you up on that. At this point I'm just deciding between a 3.1/3.2 gallon tank that I would leave on all the time or a 4.0/4.25 gallon tank that I would only put on for big rides. I was mainly curious if the bigger tanks were too cumbersome to leave on all the time for more technical/dirtbiking rides.

17 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Have you looked at TacoMoto and Slaven’s?  Rocky Mountain.

Yes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. TacoMoto only lists tanks for 20-23+ bikes.

image.thumb.png.a670d90cd0d0a6b8c24d23ca7a9c3f3d.png

Slavens lists a 3.2 and 3.9 (other places say it's 4.0 or 4.1) tank, but doesn't specify which of the 7 tanks shown I would get, or what it would look like on my bike.
image.png.9208cea2e6fbea768361cc4468b76607.png

Rocky Mountain shows the tanks I think but not on a bike. They also show an IMS 4.25 gallon that looks nothing like it does anywhere else. I'll find pictures/info elsewhere and decide which tank to get.

Edited by bfar33

Call Slavens. Very customer friendly. Gives good advice. Bought many products from him and he had steered me right. 

• Like 1