DSM8

going tubless

I have done this now on several bikes.

Africa Twin Sport
Stelvio
KTM 1290

All have been street bikes, all have done thousands of miles on the conversion, I have decided going to be doing it on the 990.

I use the 3M extreme sealing tape in every case.
Worth googling if this is something you want to try without spending the money on the tubliss conversion or such.

Spoiler

I've seen that lots of people have had good experiences with it. What's your take on the whole "non safety bead" front wheel thing?

What wheels do you have on the 990 anyway?

After dealing with tubeless in Bicycle wheels this video needs some improvement.

My buddy had his front wheel fail with this setup on his Africa Twin after about 5000 miles.  Could have been bad prep, could have been anything.  

There is a lot of conflicting info on this whole setup.

I have heard of failures but between 3 bikes and almost 75K miles of riding no issues with how I do it so......
take what I do with a grain of salt.

My plan is just to do it on the rear wheel of the 990, I am running a narrower rear rim than factory, and excel made by woodys in CO.

It is just a PITA to do the tube on the rear of the big bike so it makes sense to do it there, I will stick with tubes for the front since I do ride this mostly off road.

Funny thing, I spent 2.5 hours in the Mojave yesterday looking for the leak in my rear tire. Went thru 2 spray bottles of soapy water slowly inching the bike forward and back. Was a sh*tty time to have a bolt lost from my center stand!!!!!

couldn’t find it. So I pulled over every 5 miles to pump up the rear, and get to Barstow. A-1 cycle/tire was closing when I got there so I overnighted and saw him this morning. 
The leak was at the spoke. Upon dismounting the RallZ from the Woodys we saw air bubbles under the tape. First I’ve heard of a Woodys failing. Had to tube it. 
Just got home now and will follow up here with further details. 

• Sad 1