Pahana

6 year Mothballed KTM 990 Turns over but won't fire up

Dear SDAR,

Well how time flies...Amazingly its been 6 years since I last rode here: - Short story is in 2016 I had to go work overseas so I ran the Engine out of all fuel, filled engine up with oil, removed battery etc - all long term storage stuff... then we all know what happened - I'm British - so could not get back for a while...  In general I am very happy with the condition on my return.

Well finally I'm back - got a new battery, got the oil level corrected, She turns over great, instruments all good etc. sounds right, but not firing - not totally surprised but I will say my FXSTB fired right up!  So I know there are going to be some gurus who can give me a path to follow so I can get her running - go get smogged, get the PNO removed and ready to Ride!

So I am guessing its gummed up fuel in the system somewhere - anyone's ideas would be great as RJ's All American Shop in Ramona seems to have shut as normally I'd just ask him to come pick her up and sort it...Some folk tell me he moved to Poway?

Thanks for any pointers...

Best from Boony

• Like 1

990, so fuel injection?  Can you hear the fuel pump cycling when you turn the key on?  My simple test is to remove the air filter, spray some carburetor cleaner in the throttle body and see if it fires up for a second.  If it does, pretty much guarantees that it’s a fuel system issue.

Message me if you want, I can get it going for you.

No smog is required, mate.

My first step would be to measure actual fuel pressure.

first of course is fresh everything. then well you need spark, fuel, air/compression. Spark is a visual check, plugs out see spark, I've done fuel by pulling injectors out to see it they are blasting again that's a visual. for these tests you don't need any instruments, just some specific disassembly for visual /mechanical access. these tests are going right to the end game, you can work your way back into those systems. Also be aware of air lock in your fuel lines, you may pull the injectors off and check fuel pumping out of the line, I've done that as well.

Check fuel pump

filter can be gummed up with fuel residue 

run through the basics

air - filter box is clear and not a mouse nest

spark are you getting any

fuel pump first

lines second 

injectors 3rd

where is bike located?

On 8/29/2023 at 6:59 PM, tntmo said:

990, so fuel injection?  Can you hear the fuel pump cycling when you turn the key on?  My simple test is to remove the air filter, spray some carburetor cleaner in the throttle body and see if it fires up for a second.  If it does, pretty much guarantees that it’s a fuel system issue.

Message me if you want, I can get it going for you.

This guy know his ---- stuff

Edited by DSM8