husky4me

Which Adventure Bike to Buy?

I posted this question before but was wiped out during the site crash.. I currently ride a Husqvarna TE450 06 plated, but I am thinking about a bigger more adventure type second bike. Something to use on longer trips, that is also capable on dirt. The article from Bret on the KTM 950 is very informative, and that bike is a consideration, although I'm not sure I want to spend $15,000.00 My other consideration is the BMW 650 Dakar. Kevin has given me much input on this bike, the only thing I'm not sure about is the weight and the fact it has only 5 speeds. The R1200 GS BMW seems also a good choice, but just as the KTM Adventure 950, is up there in high price. It seems to be the most comfortable bike. The kawasaki KLR 650 seems also a choice. I had never consider the V-Strom from suzuki until I saw Randy post his picture on that blue one. It is reasonably priced, has a great review on Cycle World magazine, but has the pipes and oil cooler down in the bottom (apparently you can put a skid protector). I don't thin it is the best choice but Buell just came up with 1200 Ulyses (100 HP), not too heavy, may have lower clearance having the pipe down the motor (it's supposed to act as a skid plate).. Not really tried etc.. I take many months making this type of decisions, so your comments are appreciated :ph34r:

Choices for bikes that will be coming out.....BMW"s new 800 twin cylinder....don't know model, etc. , but, the BMW's always tend to be overpriced and overweight.KTM will have a new 660 or 690 single cylinder Adventure.As far as big twins go, the KTM 950 in my opinion, is the only way to go. Best bang for the buck !!Or, an older Ducati 900 Elefant.....which is a very good, capable bike.The V-Strom doesn't have enough ground clearance if you want to do anything difficult. But ask SanDiegoland, he's got one.

The V-Strom doesn't have enough ground clearance if you want to do anything difficult. But ask SanDiegoland, he's got one.

Yea, we talked about the bike together on the V-J Day Ride. The V-Strom:

Nate-Harrison Grade - 2UP no problem

Carveacre Road - Not even 1UP

=====

The V-Strom can follow skoot along on 2-Wheel drive dirt roads all day and can do limited sections of 4-Wheel drive stuff. But it's like a fish out of water on continous 4-Wheel drive stuff.

Speed. You'll be limited on stuff where clearance is close. If you're out on a long tour, so what? But... if you are running a brisk pace with more suitable DS bikes, you may have a disappointing result.

I love the bike for long distance adventure touring. 500 mile days are doable 2UP. It's also a blast on the local twisties. a 5000 mile 2UP trip

Our mule above Animas Forks, Colorado:

Posted Image

Sandiegoland, that's a cool picture of your bike! Thanks to both for your comments.. I'd like to try the new KTM Adventure 990 when it comes out, and maybe the twin cilinder BMW 800..

Of coarse I have to recommend the best motorcyle ever created by man, or was it actually designed and build by God ? ! ? !

--------->> KLR650 <<----------

Next time we ride you are welcomed to take a test ride on mine Husky. Of coarse that means you have to let me test ride the Husky. (( is it cool if I do wheelies ?? )) :ph34r:

hahaahahhaahha

I think a KLR is actually a very good option, but maybe more dirt oriented than you'd like. I did grenade an engine on mine due to a failed do-hickey (cam chain tensioner), and it sounds like it is a common (or at least known) issue that has a solution. It was a total compromise between dirt and road. Capable on each, perfect on neither. XLR is in this category too, just a little more dirty.I now have the big V strom, which I consider just a road bike, and a DRZs, which I consider to be just a dirt bike, but obviously, each can do the other albeit at a more relaxed pace.The new KTMs do give me wood, though.

I'll be happy to exchange with you for a very brief time in order to check each other's bikes, Troy. I had considered the KLR and actually Kawi had offered the same.. When I saw CT3 fall and taking us four of us to push it, I got disappointed.. I have also heard it is under power, but it's a great bike, specially for the money (super value)..I went to the BMW this morning and the owner/ manager Gary allowed me to try a R1200 GS.. It felt so plush, comfortable, and mellow, I could not belive it! On one hand, it just felt like a 150, almost like it lack power. That is probably because I'm used to the immediate and super response of my husky.. But for a moment I felt I was in a lazy boy sofa... When I have to ride 30 or 40 miles on my husky on the road, by the time I get to the destination or back home but butt is hurting like crazy.. Anyway, as I went into the freeway, I was going through the gears like my short tranny husky, but in no time, and without realizing it (I felt like I was going 20 or 30 miles) I looked at the speedometer and it read close to 90 MPH... that was so strange.. so I had to slow down.. I noticed that in order to get power I had to down shift, I get the accelaration, but I did not really feel it... Anyway, I really enjoyed, felt like keep on riding it all the way to Alaska! It is just so different.. I like both, my husky for rapid adrenaline and dirt, but this BMW felt so comfortable.... I wonder how th KTM 990 Adventure would compare... It probably has much more power (although I think both have about 100 HP), but I think the KTM redlines higher and may be more aggressive... Well, after trying the BMW I drove down the road and checked the V-Strom 650 (they did not have the 1000). It looked nice (they don't let you try them), but after the bemer, I don't know.. then I thought, hey I could buy to V-Stroms with the price of one BMW... uhmmm....Well, anyway, right now I'm kind of pointing to the BMW.... althought, if I were to pay so much I may have to sell my husky... or just owe more... (I want to work less).. well... will see what happens... maybe KTM allows for demo rides... In the meantime, THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS THAT ARE GIVING THEIR OPINIONS! :ph34r: By the way, I took my husky to its first service at GP Motorcycles... but will not work on it until Thursday, so I wont be riding until next week, when I plan to head up to Big Bear :P:P

, Did you test drive the 650GS Dakar. Its not a great street bike, nor a great dirt bike, but it does both very well with comfort. I have spent many two week trips to Canada, Colorado etc two up with my wife. It will fly down a dirt road and do 80 MPH two up all day long. My longest trip two up was 19 days. Heated grips, hard side bacgs, cruise control, gas tank under the seat and EFI-this bike goes everywhere! I have 35,000 miles on this, including multipel LA-B-V dual sport rides. This is not a commerical!! Well, maybe it is/KevIf you cant tell, I like it-This motor, made by Rotax will go over 100,000 miles. Try to find that on any single!

I was intending on trying the BMW 650 Dakar, but started with the R1200 GS, came out so excited, I forgot about the 650... But, I think I'm going to return and try it in the next few weeks. I know you are not the sales man; but you seem so happy with your Dakar, that it is very convining! :ph34r: Anyway, Gary was very pleasant to work with... He told me he has joined on some rides with SDAR....

Gary is a nice guy. Remember, the wieght of the bike does work against you in the dirt, but on the street, it works in your favor!. A light bike down the paved road gets blown around. Kev

I've been researching DS/Adv bikes for a while and I finally settled on the KLR. What bike you decide on really depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

I vote "none of the above". Ground clearance? hah! Suspension? for wimps! alluminum frames and engines, pishaw!http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....pictures+father

HondaPilot, Those are some nice pics of those Harley Dual Sport Bikes. Just goes to show you, its the rider, not the bike & its not the destination, its the journey!!

You can get 3 KLR650's for the price of one BMW. Of coarse you only need one new bike, so think of the upgrades and mods you could afford. You could build the most badass KLR on the planet! (next to mine of coarse) :-)

This guy here is my absolute favorite.

Posted Image

Lookit the throttle hand gettin' ready to lay into it when he lands....

It is truely about the rider and the drive that motivates him/her. If you want to go, you go.

My .02...You can't always take advice on whats the best bike to buy as the best bike to buy, is the best bike for YOU. I bought my XR because I stand a towering 6'4" and weigh 215 pounds wouthout my gear. I had a DR350 that was great but overworked hauling my big ass around. I looked at the 400 but reports said the suspension was too soft for heavier riders and my 350 was actually a 435 big bore. I didn't think the 400 would cut the mustard, and that put me to the 650s. The 650 was actually more engine than I wanted, and I would've chosen a green or yellow bike over my red one, but as I said I'm a big dude and I wanted the tallest bike available. The aftermarket is HUGE for the XR which is also a plus.

Good luck, be sure to post when you get it, we'll all be happy to ride with you.

Jon

You can get 3 KLR650's for the price of one BMW. Of coarse you only need one new bike, so think of the upgrades and mods you could afford. You could build the most badass KLR on the planet! (next to mine of coarse) :-)

But by the time you buy a KLR, and put everything on it that you want to make it better, you now could have just bought a BMW! But you still have a 20 year old designed bike. The KLR is a nice bike for the money! If you want to ride in style with all the newest in technology,(EFI,heated grips, cruise control,secured hard luggage,gas tank under the seat, center stand, abs brakes) then BMW. Pyro, when are we going to ride the Palomar Divide and Mt Thomas on that Kawasukme!(DIG)

Well said amigo, and oh so true. . . The NEW(relative term) technology they are packing in the BMWs and some other motorcycles these days is mezmerizing. One day I'll own one of these bitchin' bikes, but the $$ just isn't there yet. As I'm sure we all can agree, it's really about the great experience that we all enjoy when we go out RIDING around. EVERY motocyle that I've ever ridden on was badASS and sooOOOO fun, all the way down to my friends minibike that was powered by a LAWNMOWER engine and a CENTRIFICAL clutch (OH YEAH, REMEMBER ? ? ?).Anyways, I can't wait to see your new bike when you get it Husky!! Maybe I'll see you soon. I might post a mid-week ride for next week. What do you think, are you in? Did you get your headlight situation fixed yet? Kevin, I work up in Carlsbad off Palomar Airport rd. Lets do the Palomar Divide and Mt Thomas route one of these weekday afternoons before the days get to short dude! ! ! Who else is in ? ? mawHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Ready?

Pyro, i work during the week. Maybe, we could get a real dual sport trip together. Maybe ride east to Palomar/Mt Thomas on day one, spend the night, the ride back on Sunday! What do you think?

Hello, I just joined San Diego Adventure Riders, today. I also purchased a KTM 950R Super Enduro last week. I think I got the last one. I can tell you that the bike is awesome. It is a big bike though. The seat height is 38 inches. I am 5'11" tall. I can touch with both feet, toes only! This makes for some exciting maneuvering in the tight stuff. The bike weighs 400 pounds (claimed). More like 425 or 450 would be my guess. The weight is not that noticeable though. Just don't lay it down; you will need a crane to pick it up. It handles great on the street and the dirt. The OEM tires are not good in the soft sand or loose dirt. I am going to change them ASAP. So far I am getting about 39 MPG. I have been riding/racing motorcycles for more than 30 years and never owned a bike quite like this one. I have own at least 25 different bikes mostly MX bikes. I am very impressed with my first KTM and would highly recommend it to anyone who has lots of experience oh yeah and money 14k OTD. This bike is not for rookies unless you want to spend lots of $$ to fix all scratched up parts from, you know running out of talent.

Thanks again all you guys for your comments! Pyro, I took my husky for service and they adjusted the headlight. Now the low beam is much better, and the high beam not that good, but I can see. I went to Big Bear this past weekend and ended up riding at night on the way back (easy trails) and then the road and it was fair. Eventually I'd like to upgrade the headlight. They have some pretty good riding areas up there! I'd like to try Palomar some day, not sure I'm ready this weekend, need a little break after Big Bear trip.. but, I'll sure join you guys in a ride in the near future. :D As far as the bike, I want to wait some time for the 07 model KTMs, specifically the 950 Adventure.. I'll enjoy my husky in the meantime and keep on researching.. so if anybody out there has any other commnent, all comments are appreciated. You are right Kevin, it's not the bike but the rider.. those old pictures are awesome! I used to have a grand uncle who used to do tricks on those Harleys back before I was born. It's trully amazing! TBAR33, thanks for your comment and congrats on your bike! I have seen the KTM website and a test article on cycleworld magazine on the super enduro. It seems to be an amzaing bike.. Report more as you go along on future rides...

Hello, I just joined San Diego Adventure Riders, today. I also purchased a KTM 950R Super Enduro last week.

You need to come on a ride and show that thing off. We'll put some purty pictures in the ride report and make some folks drool... :D

Here here! I'd love to take a look at that thing, can't wait to see you on the trail....You got plans for Sunday?

I have no plans at this time. I rode today to Borrego. It was very windy. I have noticed the rear tire is going away fast. Most of my riding to this point has been on the pavement. I am still breaking it in. 250 miles to go. So far the bike has been great. Today I had it up to 106 mph down a smooth dirt road out near Jacumba. You know, the one that goes to the nudist camping ground. The still plenty to go. Cornering on the dirt road was very slippery. I am not used to this large of a bike. I think I am expecting too much. I dont know anyone who has an enduro to compare with. Thanks everyone for replying.

Todd

I've notice that the gas tank is not too large (3.43 gal).. Do you plan to get a bigger tank? Just wondering about the range, due to the small gas tank... On the other hand it makes less weight, and more capable off-roading...

The fuel tank is actually 3.8 gal. I have seen specs that reflect the 3.43 you mentioned. They are incorrect. I know this because I have put more that 3.5 gals in the tank and it was not empty. As for range! My last ride was 125mi on one tank. I have checked the mpg. It ranges from 39 to 49 mpg. I also just purchased a Garmin 60c gps. I will check the Speedo for accuracy. :P