Sign in to follow this  
roostingu

Kennedy Meadows

planning a trip with 2-3 days of riding I will be riding my 2-stroke 250 and camping, still planning so I am not sure of all the details. Just posting to see if anyone else is interested in this trip. I understand it is 300+ plus miles and would like to plan it so riding is during the week and not weekend. Open to suggestions :drinks:

planning a trip with 2-3 days of riding I will be riding my 2-stroke 250 and camping, still planning so I am not sure of all the details. Just posting to see if anyone else is interested in this trip. I understand it is 300+ plus miles and would like to plan it so riding is during the week and not weekend. Open to suggestions :drinks:

Oh boy, you're going to get me in trouble, aren't you!!! I was secretly planning a trip up to KM this summer, but trying to figure out how to get a pass (and $$$) for that, the BBTR event this weekend, another trip to my Dad's place in Utah, and another Moab trip when it cools off this fall...

I'm a maybe for July at KM - actually put me down as a "hopefully". :D

from escondido to the shell station/Subway in Pearsonville...200 miles... up 9 mile cyn...225 to fish creek campground.. Memorial Day weekend 72 Degrees

It has been a long time (about twenty three years) since I have been up there. Seemed like a lot longer drive, but I guess that was because I had an old truck with no air conditioning when I went (and maybe also I forgot to zero out my odometer :( ). That can make a drive seem really long in the summertime. :( Anyway, any shorter mileage time is a good thing, especially these days.

For being the worlds laziest rider, Mimi seems to have ridden just about everywhere.

ORANGEBLOOD :(

Yeah, but I ride just about everywhere, lazily. :( I used to not be so lazy, but the more years go by, the lazier I seem to get. But never mind all that. The trip looks like a good plan, even for lazy people.

Oh boy, you're going to get me in trouble, aren't you!!! I was secretly planning a trip up to KM this summer, but trying to figure out how to get a pass (and $$$) for that, the BBTR event this weekend, another trip to my Dad's place in Utah, and another Moab trip when it cools off this fall...

I'm a maybe for July at KM - actually put me down as a "hopefully". :P

I was talking to my wife yesterday and she mentioned that her schedule was going to be pretty full for August so "If I was planning any longer riding trips this summer, that I had to plan them for July" :wacko: (<-- ok, for some reason, that smilie cracks me up). I was like "Well if you insist honey, I'll see what's going on" :P

So put me down as an "in" at this point (until stuff changes again :() Hopefully Mickey's grades will be in within a few days now and he's deserving of a trip like this too...

Any more fidelity on dates/plans? If the trip's for a few days, and we get enough carpoolers, I could haul the toyhauler. I've hauled 4 bikes in it no problem/could have fit a fifth, sleeps 5 without doubling up or laying on the floor, has a shower, heater, etc... truck will seat 4 adults comfortably (5 if packed in to save gas) - but there's a bit of extra work and diesel for just a couple people for only a night or two (in which case I've got a tent)...

Mark me down for the 15th -20th. Could stay out as long as the 21st.

That works for me too if we're counting votes...

Okay so far I think its Doug,Mickey,Mimi,Jon,Jeff and the 15th of July would get us there to ride Wednesday, Thursday, and possibly Friday and be out of there before any weekend crowding. Sounds like a plan. If anyone else is thinking about this don't wait till the last minute it would be better to get this figured out as far as transportation and camping are concerned. :wacko:

Okay so far I think its Doug,Mickey,Mimi,Jon,Jeff and the 15th of July would get us there to ride Wednesday, Thursday, and possibly Friday and be out of there before any weekend crowding. Sounds like a plan. If anyone else is thinking about this don't wait till the last minute it would be better to get this figured out as far as transportation and camping are concerned. <_<

Time to bump this thread up again... The 15th is next week!!! Are we still in for this thing? I've got to put in for some leave from "the man" this week if we're still going.

I'm looking forward to some scenic, enjoyable, technical, and most of all COOL TEMPERATURE riding!

Time to bump this thread up again... The 15th is next week!!! Are we still in for this thing? I've got to put in for some leave from "the man" this week if we're still going.

I'm looking forward to some scenic, enjoyable, technical, and most of all COOL TEMPERATURE riding!

There have been a lot of fires up there lately. Last time I checked, none of the trails were closed and Fishcreek camp was still open, but the Clover fire was pretty close and only about 40% contained. I will look on the website and see how things are now.

I still would like to go, but have been talking with a company about employment and might not be able to make it, unless I find out exactly if and when these people need me.

There have been a lot of fires up there lately. Last time I checked, none of the trails were closed and Fishcreek camp was still open, but the Clover fire was pretty close and only about 40% contained. I will look on the website and see how things are now.

I still would like to go, but have been talking with a company about employment and might not be able to make it, unless I find out exactly if and when these people need me.

I hadn't considered the fires... I forgot to check whether they had affected the area.

Congratulations on the possible, pending employment!!! <_< I hope that works out for you...

For anyone that wants to go - I was doing a little math. If I use 10mpg pulling my toyhauler (I usually get better than that), 500 miles round trip, and $5 per gallon of diesel, it will cost around $250 (most likely less because I typically get 12-14mpg hauling) for the trip. If we put 4 people/bikes in the truck/trailer, that works out to $62.50 each for transportation and lodging for the entire trip... Pretty cheap entertainment!!!

I am not sure of the current fire situation in the area, or if there are any closures or limitations, I would hate to drive all the way up there to find it closed. Dirtdame was saying she could call a ranger station to get the info, but maybe a little closer to the end of this week? She may also be able to contact her employer to see if she would be free that week. We were thinking if there was a problem up there, we could go to Big Bear or somewhere else to camp and ride?

I'm still in.

I need to find a tire before next week. Anybody got an old one that's half worn out that THEY think is worn out? Does anybody have the number of the guy in Encinitas that sells the 606s fir cheap?

BTW there was a few groups on Thumpertalk that went up there over the weekend. I'll check out what they have to say and see how it was.

Well I suppose if people have just been there to ride, then the area is most likely opened.

I'm still in.

I need to find a tire before next week. Anybody got an old one that's half worn out that THEY think is worn out? Does anybody have the number of the guy in Encinitas that sells the 606s fir cheap?

BTW there was a few groups on Thumpertalk that went up there over the weekend. I'll check out what they have to say and see how it was.

760-753-3283 Let me know if you are going as I wanted to pick one up <_<

I'm still in.

760-753-3283 Let me know if you are going as I wanted to pick one up <_<

I see the ambiguity, by "up there" I was referring to Kennedy Meadows, not the tire guy in Encinitas.

I'm still in.

760-753-3283 Let me know if you are going as I wanted to pick one up :)

I see the ambiguity, by "up there" I was referring to Kennedy Meadows, not the tire guy in Encinitas.

<_< huh ;)

Wow, that guy had quite an adventure. It all looked good except for the part about the possible food poisoning.

But altitude can do funny things to peoples innards as well.

what is the guy in Encinitas charging?

I think it was 10 bucks a piece. Go to "Tires, tires tires" thread in the "for sale" section to find out.

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic. <_<

Well, I looked on the Thumper Talk forum and it looks a s though plenty of people have been up to Fish Creek camp area and have been riding the trails in the last couple of weeks, so there are no closures, or smoky conditions and the weather has been sunny and warm.

let's see now, Hondapilot just had a new(used)rear tire mounted for the trip....Jeff is still planning stuff....haven't heard back from Digdug....