Sign in to follow this  
Pokey151

Calling all KTM 1090R and Africa Twin adv owners

I may ditch the Harley and get one of these. New 2019 models. I see strengths in both but those who own either. Are there regrets or complaints.  I am looking at a goo balance of road and when I do got the dirt, I would like something that handles well.  

I would like something I could ride up to mammoth or beyond on pavement, yet do the TAT etc.   any information would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks

I've put over 40,000 miles on my KTM 950 Adventure, that's about as big as I'd want to get for a capable off road bike. It's also perfectly capable of taking you cross country on pavement.  I've solo explored the Sierra Nevada for years on my 950, fully loaded with camping gear and never wanted anything larger.

The 1090's and larger just add more weight when you don't really need all that power.

I did the TAT on my 950, including all the difficult options, from Pueblo Colorado to the end of the TAT on the Oregon Coast, then took more time to explore off road heading down the coast of California back to San Diego,  a month-long trip. 

If you want the bigger than 950/990 heavier bikes, then your enjoyment level off road depends on your skill level. If you're an expert rider with experience on 500+ pound motorcycles, then you should be able to handle anything bigger than a 950.

My opinion and suggestion is a used 950/990 in good condition would be the way to go.

One more thing...when you ride a big bike, you gotta realize you're going to drop it, may have to drag it across rocks, etc. in order to be able to pick it up in some circumstances...many people don't want to do that with their big, expensive bikes.  I bought my 950 with 800 miles on it for $10,000. Yep, it's pretty beat up, but that's what it was made for....it's just a big dirt bike.

• Like 1

Good info. Thank you. I don’t know how to rate my skill level but I can get through the normal stuff just fine.  I have a 450L I enjoy but want a bigger bike for the bigger trips.  I’m 6’2 235 lbs and helped pick up larger bikes for people I have passed by

thank you

• Like 1

1090R is a bad ass trophy truck of a bike, it should cover down on those needs quite well 👌

• Like 1

Pokey.

These are not my thing, but my extended whacky FahQ Racing crew are all running hard on big bikes, Kato 1090s and now a Yam T700 in the mix. All have a lot of mods to engine management all external (pipes induction stuff) and all their carrying capability but especially to the suspension components. All the guys are solid A/EXP level off road guys (even a former Pro).

Our very own- S101 George has been at the forefront of tuning these things for more extreme levels of suspension performance. The T700 is still a work in progress but already way above OEM stock,  all the 1090s are mad rippers and fully dialed. As stated they are the trophy trucks of adv bikes. The T700 is lean in comparison and more small bike in shape and handling, the 1090s are bigger in girth, slightly different flavors, but all flock together  

https://www.suspension101.com/

you can see a quick blip video of a trio of the adv crew on a dirt road hauling the mail.

• Like 1

1090R owner. Lots of mods but S101 Suspension revalve took it from street bike to dirt bike.

I don't ride as well as the guys Robert is referring to but I can ride.

I don't ride it enough but makes me smile every time I do.

My experience on it. 

Dirt road riding that is boring on my 500 is fun on the big bike 

I can ride all day on the Seat Concepts Comfort seat.

I don't ride single track alone after dropping it down hill and it would have been bad with out a riding buddy helping out - Thanks Mike - SanRider

Speeding tickets - I haven't got one yet but its inevitable

My next mod is a  slightly taller windscreen - I'd rather have bugs on the windscreen than my visor. My last Imperial Valley ride was a mess

Your welcome to test ride mine before buying one.

• Like 3