Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hammerin Hammon

2008 Baja 500 5-31-08

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Once again, team Honda spanked the competition on the quick, nimble and reliable 450X by finishing 25 minutes ahead of the 7x bike of KTM, who was just barely beat 5 other Honda riders.

Team KTM did make a smart decision raceing a 525 instead of the 690 Baha. But it still wasn't enough to beat Honda's 450X in Baja this weekend.

I didn't get to go this year, but this picture tells the same story (Team Honda way out front while the rest of the field eats their dust.)

Its time once again to celabrate :good::lol: and do the victory dance :lol: here on the beach :party: in Carlsbad.

post-465-1212355340_thumb.jpg

Once again, team Honda spanked the competition on the quick, nimble and reliable 450X by finishing 25 minutes ahead of the 7x bike of KTM, who was just barely beat 5 other Honda riders.

Team KTM did make a smart decision raceing a 525 instead of the 690 Baha. But it still wasn't enough to beat Honda's 450X in Baja this weekend.

I didn't get to go this year, but this picture tells the same story (Team Honda way out front while the rest of the field eats their dust.)

Its time once again to celabrate :good::lol: and do the victory dance :lol: here on the beach :party: in Carlsbad.

Go ahead and dance your dance. It's no secret that honda has the best baja riders I'm sure they would have won if those same guys were on a KTM but Honda likes to throw the money around to buy the guys that are good, no fault in that. But just seeing the KTM up towards the top gives me reason to dance. :D

I am kinda dissapointed seeing 7 out of the top 10 bikes were Honda 450s. I'm a fan of the 650 and if the 450 keeps winning like this there is no motivation for Honda to bring the 650R back.

Some of us want a big boy bike when we hit the trails.

Some of us want a big boy bike when we hit the trails.

Some of us need a big boy bike when we hit the trails.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Were still danceing :lol::party::lol: here in Carlsbad. :good:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Its time once again to celabrate :dance: :drinks: and do the victory dance :rtfm: here on the beach :dirol: in Carlsbad.

Go ahead and dance your dance. It's no secret that honda has the best baja riders I'm sure they would have won if those same guys were on a KTM but Honda likes to throw the money around to buy the guys that are good, no fault in that. But just seeing the KTM up towards the top gives me reason to dance. :blink:

I just got the low down on how it went down.\

Team Honda was only a couple of minutes ahead of the 7X of team KTM. but when they got into a rocky technical section the leighter weight KTM started overheating. The heavier 450X kept right on going like a Timex watch, never skipping a beat. It seems Honda realy does their homework in building bikes with an adequate cooling system.

Ive been on numerouse rides were my friends KTM's overhewated. After reading about last weekends big bear ride it seems that Daryl's Husky suffered with the same issue's, While STEP 63's old school Honda XR 400 dominated. HMMMM. B)

Ive been on numerouse rides were my friends KTM's overhewated. After reading about last weekends big bear ride it seems that Daryl's Husky suffered with the same issue's, While STEP 63's old school Honda XR 400 dominated. HMMMM. :dirol:

Daryl's Husky didn't overheat (he can correct me if I'm wrong), but a y-valve (a piece of plastic) cracked. Both Alex's and my KTM's did just great - no coolant burping, overheating or anything. The thing with air cooled bikes is that you don't know if they're overheating. There's no coolant to burp telling you so. I did overheat my XR650L once in the desert a few years back. In the rocky/technical stuff working the clutch, low speeds, it overheated. How did I know? I could feel it in the clutch. Luckily I had a couple quarts of oil in the truck and changed it that evening - the stuff that came out definitely smelled overheated...

Just some food for thought... B)

The other thing to consider is that the bikes people are running in the SCORE races are FAR from stock. Most are extremely modified to suit that purpose - ride 500 miles of nasty stuff. Most manufacturers (especially the Honda guys) don't care what happens after that. The 450X you buy to ride on the weekends is as much like the 1X bike as the Chevy you buy at the dealer is like the ones going around the loop in NASCAR. (Okay.. maybe it's not quite that bad, but you get the picture)

The Baja races are purely a marketing tool that Honda uses to sell bikes - and one that works pretty well (They've got you sold...). Kawasaki does it with supercross, KTM does it with Paris-Dakar. Just like Chevy does it with NASCAR. It's a great marketing tool, just get a NASCAR fan talking about his Chevy or Ford (Take it from a New Jersey guy that spent 7 years in Little Rock :drinks: )

Yup, the Y-pipe let go.

It's a fairly commom to replace these with an after market that's designed to be a bit more stout.

The aircooled Hondas were fine bikes in their time, and remain great bikes today.

Improvements in motor technology and emissions requirements are probably why they're on their way out.

I don't follow much dirt racing. Besides the Baja event, are the old aircooled bikes competitive anywhere else? Or are they even competitive there anymore if the 450x is what won?

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Ive been on numerouse rides were my friends KTM's overhewated. After reading about last weekends big bear ride it seems that Daryl's Husky suffered with the same issue's, While STEP 63's old school Honda XR 400 dominated. HMMMM. :dance:

Daryl's Husky didn't overheat (he can correct me if I'm wrong), but a y-valve (a piece of plastic) cracked. Both Alex's and my KTM's did just great - no coolant burping, overheating or anything. The thing with air cooled bikes is that you don't know if they're overheating. There's no coolant to burp telling you so. I did overheat my XR650L once in the desert a few years back. In the rocky/technical stuff working the clutch, low speeds, it overheated. How did I know? I could feel it in the clutch. Luckily I had a couple quarts of oil in the truck and changed it that evening - the stuff that came out definitely smelled overheated...

Just some food for thought... B)

The other thing to consider is that the bikes people are running in the SCORE races are FAR from stock. Most are extremely modified to suit that purpose - ride 500 miles of nasty stuff. Most manufacturers (especially the Honda guys) don't care what happens after that. The 450X you buy to ride on the weekends is as much like the 1X bike as the Chevy you buy at the dealer is like the ones going around the loop in NASCAR. (Okay.. maybe it's not quite that bad, but you get the picture)

The Baja races are purely a marketing tool that Honda uses to sell bikes - and one that works pretty well (They've got you sold...). Kawasaki does it with supercross, KTM does it with Paris-Dakar. Just like Chevy does it with NASCAR. It's a great marketing tool, just get a NASCAR fan talking about his Chevy or Ford (Take it from a New Jersey guy that spent 7 years in Little Rock :drinks: )

Yes, but most of the people raceing in Baja are not on a factory team? That is what makes it such a great race.

8 of the top ten finishers were on Honda's, 450's and 650's privateer guys on Honda's finished minutes behind the factory works KTM.

The avarage Joe can buy a 450X, or a 650R and slap a couple of after market parts on it and finish well.

Look at the race results overt the last 15 years and you will see in every Baja 250-500-1000, 80% of the top ten finishers are on Honda's. Like my friend Daniel of Fluger Raceing says(You just can't beat Honda In Baja. :dirol:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Daryl hope the Husky didn’t suffer any ill effects from the over heating. My good OLD trusty XR 400 loves the tight stuff.

HMMMM. :dirol: This site and the people are funny. I have frends who went on other rides were Orange bikes overheated, big time and nobody posted it. I was told about it, and they made me promise not to tell anyone. :dance:

Any bike will overheat if you are working the clutch. A 650L that gets 45 miles per gallon is jetted way to lean and will also overheat. My 650L properly jetted gets 35 miles per gallon if I am lucky. It also needs air flow, thats why I ride fast. :blink:B):drinks:

Yes, but most of the people raceing in Baja are not on a factory team? That is what makes it such a great race.

8 of the top ten finishers were on Honda's, 450's and 650's privateer guys on Honda's finished minutes behind the factory works KTM.

The avarage Joe can buy a 450X, or a 650R and slap a couple of after market parts on it and finish well.

Look at the race results overt the last 15 years and you will see in every Baja 250-500-1000, 80% of the top ten finishers are on Honda's. Like my friend Daniel of Fluger Raceing says(You just can't beat Honda In Baja. B)

I'm with ya man.. I agree 100%, Honda is the king of Baja - that's their playground anybody that goes into their playground is going to get bullied. That's why so many people buy Hondas to run Baja - it's Honda turf.

Look at MX - it's a pretty even split between the big 4 - it all depends on the particular race. Look at European MX and you'll see Husky amongst the leaders.

Look at Paris-Dakar, it's dominated by KTM. In 2005 they even changed the rules, disallowing the big twins (i.e. the KTM 950's) to level the playing field. KTM was ruling it so much that nobody wanted to play. Now they run the LC4 powered machines and still take pole every year.

Look at the hardcore European enduros - those are small KTM dominated events (KTM is even beginning to make a mark in the US enduro scene, as small as that scene is compared to Europe).

All I'm saying is, don't get caught up in the hype. That's exactly what the manufacturers (every one of them) wants us to do. They want Americans to see Honda winning in Baja (and they are willing to spare absolutely no expense to do so - sponsorships, pit assistance, chase helicopters, etc, etc, etc) and say "Man, Honda rules Baja, I guess I need to buy one" - Just like KTM wants Europeans to see them winning Dakar and say "KTM rules Dakar, I guess I need to buy one" - Just like Chevy wants Americans to see them winning NASCAR races and saying "Man, Chevy rules NASCAR, I guess I need to buy one". You love your Honda, that's great man - I loved mine too - If I could have kept it, I would have - but I can't afford 3 bikes (both cashola and garage space).

Baja is a big commercial for Honda - and a very effective one that they will continue to pump mucho dinero into as long as guys (like you) continue to buy them based on the race results...

By the way - you've got to come and ride some of those trails up there with us one of these weekends!!! Only thing about it was there was a little too much fire-road for my liking, but it gave us a chance to rest a little... :drinks:

HMMMM. :lazy: This site and the people are funny. I have frends who went on other rides were Orange bikes overheated, big time and nobody posted it. I was told about it, and they made me promise not to tell anyone. :)

Any bike will overheat if you are working the clutch. A 650L that gets 45 miles per gallon is jetted way to lean and will also overheat. My 650L properly jetted gets 35 miles per gallon if I am lucky. It also needs air flow, thats why I ride fast. :dance: :blink: :rtfm:

I wonder if those friends were working the clutches on their KTM's... (I know I work mine way too much, but I'm a hack of a rider compared to you guys that jump halfway down heart-attack hill :good: Heck, I get scared, hit the brakes on I-5 and cause crashes man... :lazy: :P:dirol:B)B) )

I'm just sayin' :drinks:

I wonder what hammer would brag about if he didnt have a honda....his surfing or shaper of his boards

Im still wondering after all this time why his comments are all negative its not like we cant afford a honda. Most of us spend more money to try something else. I got lots of hondas my new honda vtr 1000 is awesome but I wish it was a ducati.

Oh where oh where can I buy a couple of these wonderous machines that hammer keeps on talking about. :drinks:B)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

It looks like there is a little life left here. :rtfm: Have a nice day guys.

Team HONDA.

Craig. :dance: B):drinks::dirol::blink:

It looks like there is a little life left here. B) Have a nice day guys.

Team HONDA.

Craig. :lazy: B):drinks::dirol: :lazy:

:dance: :blink: :rtfm: :good:

hmm all this talk about the great 450x..Craig please keep in mind this is a Dual sport site, and last i check i cant get a 450x from the dealer plated, and i am not planning on trying to bend the law to get it plated. so until Honda plate a 450x, then i will start reading on what they win and be amaze at what a great bike it is, i might even get one, but until then i ride dual sport and ktm make award wining dual sport bikes.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

hmm all this talk about the great 450x..Craig please keep in mind this is a Dual sport site, and last i check i cant get a 450x from the dealer plated, and i am not planning on trying to bend the law to get it plated. so until Honda plate a 450x, then i will start reading on what they win and be amaze at what a great bike it is, i might even get one, but until then i ride dual sport and ktm make award wining dual sport bikes.

Call Honda of Orange County they have plated 450X's

Anybody heard of the Finke Desert Race in Australia? 2 day mixed terrain through the Australian outback. Open desert, moto track qualifying, sounds like a blast, 500 bikes entered, Trophy trucks, buggies, quads, etc.

This years event is this weekend.

I wonder how the top 10 will look in 2008....

TATTERSALL’S 2007 FINKE DESERT RACE PROVISIONAL INFORMATION

OVERALL : BIKES : PROVISIONAL RESULTS - TOP 10 OVERALL 12/06/2007 2:52:54 PM

Competitor Model State

5 3 Grabham, Ben Honda CRF450R NSW 4:19:04 1

5 1 Branford, Ryan Honda CRF450 NT 4:23:02 2

5 5512 Hill, Jason Honda CRF 450R NT 4:34:36 3

5 14 Walsh, Michael Honda CRF450 NT 4:37:47 4

5 4 Auricht, Caleb KTM 450 SXF NSW 4:37:58 5

5 8 Brooks, Ben Honda CRF450R7 NT 4:42:23 6

5 546 Billett, Chad Honda CRF 450 SA 4:52:26 7

5 594 Hawkes, Nathan Honda CRF4505 2007 VIC 4:52:33 8

5 5577 Sladek, Mark Honda CRF VIC 4:57:41 9

5 9 Mitchell, Andy Honda CRF 450 QLD 4:57:57 10

All

TATTERSALL’S 2006 FINKE DESERT RACE PROVISIONAL INFORMATION

OVERALL : BIKES : PROVISIONAL RESULTS - TOP 10 OVERALL 5/09/2006 9:29:33 AM

Competitor Model State

5 8 Branford, Ryan Honda CRF450 NT 4:18:20 1

7 782 Williscroft, Brad KTM 525 EXC NSW 4:28:59 2

5 5 Grabham, Ben Honda CRF450R NSW 4:31:02 3

5 14 Auricht, Caleb Yamaha YZ450F NT 4:31:40 4

5 10 Cole, Shane Honda CRF450 NT 4:35:58 5

5 11 Forte, Luke Honda CRF450 NT 4:39:08 6

7 799 Strange, Warren KTM WA 4:39:33 7

5 3 Brooks, Ben Honda CRF450R NT 4:47:12 8

5 20 Mitchell, Andrew Honda CRF QLD 4:47:50 9

2 203 Hengeveld, Steve Honda XR650R CA 4:54:20 10

All

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Go ahead and dance your dance. It's no secret that honda has the best baja riders I'm sure they would have won if those same guys were on a KTM but Honda likes to throw the money around to buy the guys that are good, no fault in that. But just seeing the KTM up towards the top gives me reason to dance.

They must have all the best riders in the world. or at least Baja and Australia. :lol:;):lol::huh:

The Class 21 winner was a factory KTM, literally. It was a bone stock bike off the All American KTM dealer's showroom floor. No mods, just added fuel.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

:)

The Class 21 winner was a factory KTM, literally. It was a bone stock bike off the All American KTM dealer's showroom floor. No mods, just added fuel.

:)B)