Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Rock and Roll!

10 years ago my phone rang and it was my older brother Larry on the line calling from Alaska, “Hey man, there’s a new marathon being held in San Diego this June called the Rock and Roll Marathon…..a band every mile or something like that……sounds stupid(fun)…..go sign me up and I’ll fly down/stay with you”………..so I called him back about an hour later and said, “Alright, WE’RE signed up” ;) :ok: ………his reply, “What do you mean “WE’RE” signed up…..you’re not a runner?!?! :lol:;) ”……my reply, “It’s pretty simple right……one foot in front of the other for 26.2 miles…….I’m not afraid of you…..let’s do it” :D .........and with that I ran in my first organized race……..so much for starting out small :o:D .........we ran/walked the inaugural race together and we (he :lol: ) decided to make a tradition to fly down for the event every year…….at least that was the plan…….unfortunately Larry got hit with Melanoma/Lymphoma and lived with me for awhile undergoing various surgeries/Chemo in L.A.……so we missed out on a few years while he fought the good fight…..Larry lost his battle in Sept of 04 and now I feel sort of an obligation to continue on in his absence with this dumb ass tradition he started back in 98’…….once I complete the course Sunday I’ll have participated in 7 of the 10 R&R marathons that have been held here in San Diego…….and, ironically, the proceeds from this event help in the fight against one of the diseases that struck down my brother (Lymphoma) …....I haven’t run AT ALL since the San Dieguito Half in February and was waffling on participating in the R&R this year since I’m overweight/out of shape/haven’t trained…….but it's not about a finishing time for me…….it’s about the “spirited” conversation I’ll be having with my brother for an hour or two between miles 18-26 as I’m walking around Mission Bay cursing at him for hooking me into this dumb ass tradition that he started…….sure wish he would’ve picked something else like an annual trip to Vegas, golf outing, scuba trip to some tropical destination, or (?) rather than some dumb ass/long run for our annual/brotherly "bonding thing" in the final years of his life……I'm sure he’ll be laughing his ass off upstairs as he looks down and sees me hobbling across the finish line just as he has in years past……nice that I'm still able to make him laugh each year (at my own expense :D ).......perhaps a few of you will join me next year? :D …..misery loves company :):D

So DigDug, I’m out for Big Bear this weekend…..

The Personalized Bib I get every year says it all – “Rockn’ 4 My Bro:lol:;)

RRPicture002.jpg

You sir are a MADMAN

Well, I never claimed to be overly intelligent :D:lol: ......but it's not as nuts as it sounds......I turned in my best time in 05 when I finished in 4:16……..but this year I haven't trained AT ALL and I’m carrying some extra poundage…………so, given those less than impressive stats, I’m planning on doing a run/walk thing for the first ~8 miles over to the 163FWY……then I’ll probably just walk it out……..this is a brotherly/bonding thing for me not a race against the clock......so I don’t really give a sh*t about anything other than beating the 7 hr time cut-off…….so hey, I might actually enjoy (and hear) the bands this year :lol: ......normally I'm too wiped out after ~18 miles to even hear'em ;)

..I turned in my best time in 05 when I finished in 4:16.

That is impressive! I have done 2 half marathons and there was no way I was ready to go another 13.1.:lol:

Good work!

Best of luck Chris, no way I could pull that off!!

Crawdaddy, I just may join you next year if I survive my attempt at the Carlsbad in January. I'm running 5 days a week to prepare, it's a lot of miles so I just hope to finish.

Best of luck to you!

Found this 10yr. old picture of me and my brother downing a couple of cold Corona's/smokin' cigars back at my house after finishing the inagural Rock and Roll Marathon back in 1998.

LarryandChrisRR.jpg

Time to head down to the convention center and pick up this year's race bib.....

I am not sure how I will be after the marathon on Sunday

Ports - What Corral are you in? I'm in number 6 and I'll be there solo......well.....sort of.......I'll be chatting with, and cursing at, my brother once we reach the second half! ;);)

Just got home from the expo.....

RRBib.jpg

Regardless - Good Luck & Happy Feet to you!!!

Sounds like you've trained which puts you in a whole different league than me.....

Welp, 08 is in the bag....as for 09 - BRING IT!

Took a couple of pics with the cell phone.....

At the start with a couple of "Elvi"........the race organizers encourged folks to dress like Elvis because they were trying to set a record for the most "Running Elvi" in one event......I heard there were about ~150 "Elvi" in the race:

RRStart.jpg

At the finish, medal in hand......as R.O. would say, "This proves I was there"

RRFInish.jpg

Great job! What was your time? Thanks for the motivation.

Great job! What was your time? Thanks for the motivation.

I finished just past "U-SUCK O'Clock" (about 6hrs)...... reason being, I stuck to my "I'm not prepared plan" and only ran the first ~8 miles over to the 163......I figured there was no need to push it/risk hurting myself (more than I AM hurting)......especially since I was running by myself and haven't run to anything but the frig since the San Dieguito Half in February :lol: ......Like I said earlier, for me, this run was about my brother, not a finishing time........ I was able to "fake it to make it" for the San Diguito half in Feb.......but the full marathon is a whole different animal......I knew if I "ran it" the hips/feet would really fall apart due to lack of training......that's why you really need to pound some big miles in preparation......you need to get the feet/hips accustomed to those big miles......

Motto for 09 will be "Train Hard / Race Fast.".......I want to beat my 4:16 finishing time from 05'.....

Ports - Great job on your ~5 hr finish....

Welp, 08 is in the bag....as for 09 - BRING IT!

Took a couple of pics with the cell phone.....

At the start with a couple of "Elvi"........the race organizers encourged folks to dress like Elvis because they were trying to set a record for the most "Running Elvi" in one event......I heard there were about ~150 "Elvi" in the race:

RRStart.jpg

At the finish, medal in hand......as R.O. would say, "This proves I was there"

RRFInish.jpg

Hey Chris,

running for your brother is really cool, congrats!

My wife will be stoked on this Elvi picture because she made those Elvis suits in this picture! She made over 60 suits and I regconize her work! :lol: Great job!

Ron

Hey Chris,

My wife will be stoked on this Elvi picture because she made those Elvis suits in this picture! She made over 60 suits and I regconize her work! :D Great job!

Ron

How cool is that? :D:P Had I known I had a "connection to the King" right in our very own forum there might have been "3" Elvi in that picture :party::good: ......I guess there's always next year :lol: ......though I'm not sure I want to draw any additional attention to my(slow)self.......I can hear the spectators now, "Hey Elvis, what's wrong man.....you look really tired/sore :lol: .......are you Ok??!!".........of course those concerns would be met with my best impersonation of the King Himself, "I'm fine.....but Thank you.....Thank you very much".....

Hey Chris,

My wife will be stoked on this Elvi picture because she made those Elvis suits in this picture! She made over 60 suits and I regconize her work! :D Great job!

Ron

How cool is that? :D:P Had I known I had a "connection to the King" right in our very own forum there might have been "3" Elvi in that picture :party::good: ......I guess there's always next year :lol: ......though I'm not sure I want to draw any additional attention to my(slow)self.......I can hear the spectators now, "Hey Elvis, what's wrong man.....you look really tired/sore :lol: .......are you Ok??!!".........of course those concerns would be met with my best impersonation of the King Himself, "I'm fine.....but Thank you.....Thank you very much".....

Chris you would fit right in with these guys and gals. They mostly cruise always stopping for pictures and beer! I think they all mostly finished in the 5 to 7 hour range!

After hearing your story I'm sure my wife will hook you up! She makes them very light weight and airy..

Again a very cool story!

Ron :P