Sign in to follow this  
MacDuncan

quick release fuel line?

Well, about time to remove big 6.6 tank, I missed my early March Death Valley ride, my late March BDRCA ride, and my Early April KOFA ride. All of those rides would have been easier with the big tank.  My acerbis 6.6 is too big for little day cruises.  Now it is hot in the desert and my next rides may be back to the region I went last summer, Cortez, Aspen loop, Durango, Pagosa Springs, telluride, Crested Butte areas. Still got some areas to see there  :)

IMG_5764.thumb.JPG.633182bef423e54f1c40418597fdece2.JPG

Back to the little tank, big tank is saved for long desert terrain:

IMG_6288.thumb.JPG.6c2fcc907c5af142846b376f0a0151f7.JPG

The big tank serves 2 great purposes:

1) long distances without having to find gas.

2) can serve as a reserve for riding buddies where I can carry a gallon for them in my tank if all they have is a 2.5 gallon tank.

Although the nuts and bolts aspect of changing from tank to tank is easy enough, the fuel line is a major pain.  The tank came with "Super tight purple fuel lines"  They work well, but frankly, I have to cut them to remove them each time I change the tank. I often wonder if I got the right ones when I got the tank.  Also, the line that runs up and over the carb to balance fuel load is quite challenging to change each time also.  Heck, just getting the line over the inlets is tough even after I warm the line. And, if on the trail, it would be great if I could just unplug, fill a container quickly to give friends gas as needed, then plug in and go.

IMG_6382.thumb.JPG.b0832c96fdd4ebc7f93aef56a8fc44b3.JPG

I saw the other threads recently, but just thought I would throw this out there in case somebody else changes tanks regularly and knows of the shortcuts, and pieces and parts I should buy.  I thought I would set it up before changing back to 3 gallon tank so it is ready to go next time. Maybe new lines to, and clamps, etc... Best choice ?  (LCD17005V Valved In-Line Hose Barb Coupling Body 5/16 ID Barb FKM (Viton) O-ring).  Any one stop shop in town for best set-up parts ( I prefer to support local shops if possible)?  or online shopping sites ok. 

Any other thoughts?  Thanks. Mac

Page 2, January 29.  Many voices and sources.   The FreshWater place is a good resource.

Thanks Bags, yep, I read that a few times.  Kinda reminds me of that old joke when somebody rolls up to Burger land to order a cheese burger and gets asked 37 more questions when all he needs is a cheeseburger - haha. 

However, there were some cool pieces of info in there.  My lack of experience is still wondering about.....

• Does anybody really measure the diameter of the barbs, and buys specific hoses dependent upon that measurement? I had never heard of that, I thought that fuel lines had a one to one relationship between exterior and interior circumferences as a default .....like when you drop by autozone and buy a couple feet....  as that could relate to my "purple" hose challenges and concerns (I liked that there were choices of clamps due to the exterior circumference measurements though!)

• Along those same lines (haha) that would mean that I need to be attentive to the petcock barb, the T barb, the fuel flow on other side of tank barb, both ends of the in-line fuel filter barb, and the barb coming out of the carburetor (black hose, which I think is a different size barb altogether).

• For someone who does change tanks on occasion, does my scenario require 2 quick release connectors, or one (and if one, it would have to be on the cross over tube, so wondered if one side or the other is best, or a better route, as I am concerned about the sharp edges on some clamps as it goes over the carb. Also, placement should contribute to easy filling of a container to offer gas to riding buddies....  and that if unsnapped a few times.... IT DOESN'T start leaking.... 

• Its an '07, so I would like to build 2 new sets of connections, one for each tank...   so it is easy to quickly change based upon adventure...

Thanks again, all of the info on those threads were cool to read!  I can call some of those company sites for more info, but thought I would narrow down my decisions here.  Cheers. (and keep me in the loop regarding snow melt progress in the San Juans   ).  

You could do it with two disconnects,

One on the cross over tube the other before the filter.

That way same filter is used for any tank you put on and the removal of the tank with the cross over would be a snap.
Also if you get an extra fitting on the outlet side you could disconnect at the filter, plug it in and have easy dispensing of gas for someone if needed.

I use motion pro fuel lines the hard purple stuff is a huge PITA to work with.

https://www.motionpro.com/c/motion-pro-premium-fuel-line

I also use the stainless steel disconnects when I put them on the BMW 1150 GS because of the fuel injection.

Carbed bikes can prolly use the plastic ones with little worry and easy enough to carry a spare if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Quick-Disconnect-Couplings/dp/B000N5QIE4

carbby bike RFS less (fail points) is best for bullet proof , motion pro premium fuel line, manually pull off from hose barb on fuel tap/petcock, or use needle nose pliers to pull off. 

ok, thanks, looks like I will will need to shift my strategy and take it apart to find correct sizing, and then order some things. I thought it was all 1/4 ID, but I have a sneaking idea that I originally messed up by ordering wrong size parts years ago (or I simply got wrong size parts when I bought it used), assuming all was 1/4 inch. 

Currently, the barb on acerbis petcock, through the purple hose, looks to be 5/16, Unless I need to be attentive to metric sizes......and the T, and the fuel line filter look to be 1/4 inch, which might explain why the purple hose is so tough to use. 

I will likely go 5/16 throughout (if carb connector is 5/16 too).  So, a couple quick connects, a fuel filter, a T, and some line.  I better measure the small tank while I am at it  :)

And, this may be a goofy idea, but does anyone actually run a fuel line through a bigger fuel line to protect it from abrasion on parts it might rub on, and from excessive heat if it drifts towards head/engine.  That petcock angles toward engine, so wondering about best fuel line protection. Thanks. 

I used anti chafe, heat resistant aerospace woven tubing on my four stroke fuel lines as well as CV4 heat reflective tapes under my fuel tanks. 

this type

http://www.federalmogul.com/en-US/OE/Brands/Bentley-Harris/Pages/Product-Details.aspx?BrandId=18&SubCategoryId=42&ProductId=774

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CV4-CVI-FILMSIL-W-1-Thermal-Film-Silver-/371926464165