ADV Bum

BLM SEEKING PUBLIC COMMENT ON UPGRADES AT MCCAIN VALLEY CAMPGROUNDS

BLM SEEKING PUBLIC COMMENT ON UPGRADES AT MCCAIN VALLEY CAMPGROUNDS

Campsite with picnic table under a large tree. Photo by Alexia Williams, BLM.EL CENTRO, Calif. – The Bureau of Land Management El Centro Field Office is seeking public comment on proposed upgrades and modifications at McCain Valley campgrounds, within the McCain Valley Recreation Management Zone in eastern San Diego County, near the town of Boulevard. The 30-day public comment period will end on June 5.

The BLM is looking at modifying sustainable camping opportunities at Lark Canyon Campgrounds, Lark Canyon Day Use Area, and Cottonwood Campgrounds, while improving the protection of natural, cultural, and recreational resources in McCain Valley.

Improvements may include upgrading water systems and developed campsites to accommodate the increased interest in overnight recreational activities.

Public comments will help the BLM determine relevant issues that will influence the scope of the environmental analysis.  All comments will be considered during preparation of the environmental assessment. 

Written comments may be submitted via email to: aswilliams@blm.gov, or by mail to: Bureau of Land Management, Attn: Alexia Williams, 1661 S. 4th St., El Centro, CA 92243. More details can be found at https://bit.ly/35lDrNJ.

Before including addresses, phone numbers, email addresses or other personal identifying information in a comment, commenters should be aware that the entire comment, including personal identifying information, could be made publicly available at any time. While the public may ask the BLM to withhold personal identifying information from public review, the BLM cannot guarantee it will be able to do so.

For more information, contact Alexia Williams at 760-337-4443, or by email at: aswilliams@blm.gov

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fgo.usa.gov%2Fxvf46%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2vfP9rZJX4BwJdbvof2-vooCr7z_5wAeWL7OAWkLRLPnCHxSHwn9z2kVU&h=AT08G38qRXaCEFpuSVNNkYyxyeo-dcWjsWEcZ0xEPBnaO91IAlC5SLO2XFU_sLCjxO5XVSL1QJbsS9ZKMaOj46rbXGfDDBFh-5DkEelSMng418LInrI-2TdhvkPlF746g32WQvgsNdHs8X-M8eP_7F244owfi4pn2x2VnWNEZZfnEw0UnDVTw_hSO43t_haALCdFd_caXQMqNFxpNMDtPmZX-Xp-owQpFr_28CQ5AhqD-eUuuKtLuDepP2T9yqPeEJ7HhWtRDH67rH-izsXuJe7hmrEa_QnbCSSlmq4rSk6Zbf_KjJWta6MRN3hcemlqUFaco7HONIvyDssuHw41jJGyccuabFK7RCS547XzJlPE-0s5EE-y0szOUhPxcxJCE9r51W1fTQXLyWAqd9ig9-NUU0fITpB0kfPnvzFrZiaMLXaan3KIKjDk8xo7GSGLd10XaPKQZRA8UkHd1ElkJPFoEQ8B5lKYGjhqHItdeXv0BmLq4rGZwdIWNQCWGl0Oo8tUoIFdD5fjQ-2MGULhDRzzmXOSb1PyYKUyNzEnA6iZk2JZv0rfcx8PPm2GaZ72SwewIxsL_gCaIoqhSg7KPh5COKd51C6N6RkHAwYAMF2E32IoonouhOzrcGrsNOTx_zREwmTu9Rt-8RdjSBOSWZ6qPXgH_F2KAPGd

I braved the riotous east county and attended the San Diego Off Road Coalition meeting last night. I renewed my membership last night and I think if you enjoy the use of our local lands you should consider joining as well. They fight the good fight on our behalf including keeping a lobbyist in Sacramento. 

In regards to the above thread, it sounds like the BLM would like to add some larger pull through camping sites for larger recreational vehicles. The area being looked at is the east end of the wash area where BLM is considering a loop with the pull through sites. It is the belief that most of the camping at Lark and Cottonwood is being done by hunters and not so much the off roaders.  

SDORC was also live on AM1170 discussing off road issues including the Oceano Dunes.  SDORC (Ed Stovin and Audrey Mason) get one hour every month on the talk show to discuss current off road issues.  Follow them on Facebook to get the upcoming radio show dates. Last show below...

• Like 1

I don’t know...Might be cool to camp and ride here with the family as a close to home destination, but could this be the beginning of the end for McCain Valley OHV? I like it, but I am concerned this will lead to riding curfew/hours to maintain quiet in the campground and non motorized users complaining about dust and noise...Just my thoughts, what say you?

AAF1CC85-BFC2-4B6B-9D96-8F9D7BA72D77.png

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

Utv are gonna take over and destroy

I think they are trying to crowd us into fewer places. I think after UTV tear the place up, they will then say what a negative impact WE(all off road) have on the area.

I hope to have a SXS one day when we get to Utah, but I do agree that they are ruining "our" sport.  Just like (my opinion) quads had a negative impact.  I'm gonna sound like an old man here, but it ain't like it was when we were kids.....

Now that every motorized enthusiast owns a UTV,  Do you think they are lobbying for a venue close to home??

The BLM may find it easier and cheaper to “ crowd us in “. Than to do the work for a new location.

I would push the safety issue to make BLM do a proper effort.

I am pretty sure the trail system will remain as it is. The only improvements will be to the campground areas. I may be wrong though.