Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

Lake Arrowhead - Pinnacles Loop

Mom's got other arrangements this weekend so it's a guys day for Mickey and me on Saturday...

Dirt Dame's Devil's Hole post has me itching to do the loop as a warmup for the Big Bear Dualsport Ride next month. We're planning on getting a fairly early start to maximize our riding time to travel expense ratio. We'll meet up at the Deer Springs Park-N-Ride (West side of I-15 in front of the C-Store, north of Escondido) at 7:00am and be on the road by 7:15. That should put us up at Pinnacles between 9:00 and 9:30. Right now, the plan is to ride the infamous Pinnacles Loop:

trackye4.jpg

It's about 50 miles of fun, roller-coaster-like quad trails, forest road, and even a little bit of singletrack. It's "intermediate plus" level riding, but riders can take a couple bypasses to avoid MOST of the more difficult sections. We'll get back to the trucks, gas up, fill camelbaks, eat a quick bite for lunch, then decide on a plan for the afternoon. If we're feeling spunky, we may ride the loop in reverse (slightly harder in the reverse direction) or if we're whooped, head over to Lake Silverwood on some easier trails. The trails are all green sticker (except for one of the bypasses) so bring your little bikes.

My truck can haul a third bike/rider if anyone wants to split gas costs.

If anyone wants to meet up at the Pinnacles staging area, here are the directions:

•Drive north on I-15 to I-215(don't miss the exit in Riverside to stay on I-215).

•Drive north on I-215 to SR 30.

•Go east on SR 30 to SR 18 (Waterman Avenue) in San Bernardino. Exit the freeway and turn left (north).

•Drive north on SR 18 up the mountain to Daley Canyon Road about 5.5 miles east of the Crestline SR 138 turnoff. Turn left (north) on Daley Canyon Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:

•At 0.5 mile, junction with SR 189. Turn left.

•At 0.8 mile, fork. Go right and then immediately left onto Grass Valley Road.

•At 2.8 miles, fork with Grass Valley Road on the left. Turn left.

•At 5.3 miles, intersection with SR 173. Turn left.

•At 5.5 miles, intersection with Pilot Rock Road (2N33). Keep going straight.

•Continue on SR 173 about 0.7 mile to the entrance of a rifle range. Just past the rifle range, take a right on Willow Creek Jeep Trail (dirt road). Pinnacles staging area is on your right a couple hundred yards down.

GPS coordinates for the entrance to Pinnacles Staging Area: N 34° 17.89' W 117° 11.98'

Don't forget your adventure passes!!!

My cell phone number is in the Members only forums if anyone is running late and wants us to wait a bit for them.

Doug, I think I could go for this ride looks like fun, but I don't know what an adventure pass is, also would be game for the spot in your truck if nobody else is in there. if not I have a trailer with room for 2 to 3 bikes nothing fancy, I guess the 2-stroke is out of season besides its limited to about 40miles on a tank, but I am feeling better about the big bike just need more practice. :bad: How far is the ride in the trucks (2hrs)? :wacko:

This sounds like a fun one, I'll check with Steve and see if he's up for it, if not, Doug I'll split gas with ya or Jeff and I can team up or something :bad:

I would love to go, but my Saturdays are taken with my daughters soccer games for a while. I have been wanting to get out on a Sunday and ride though. I will have to catch you on the next one. :bad: Ken

Papa is in :bad: see all off you for this APIC ride.

Sweet... Good to have you along!!!

You interested in carpooling too?

Doug, I think I could go for this ride looks like fun, but I don't know what an adventure pass is, also would be game for the spot in your truck if nobody else is in there. if not I have a trailer with room for 2 to 3 bikes nothing fancy, I guess the 2-stroke is out of season besides its limited to about 40miles on a tank, but I am feeling better about the big bike just need more practice. smile.gif How far is the ride in the trucks (2hrs)? :wacko:

Jeff,

Awesome... The more the merrier!

An Adventure Pass is the People's Repulik of Kaliforniastan's way of milking a few more dollars out of you for using land that your taxes have already paid for. It's essentially a parking pass for your truck (or car) if you "stop to recreate" in the national forests of southern California. You can pick them up at many stores in the area (most sporting goods stores carry them - I got mine from Sport Chalet) which are listed in the above link. The day pass is $5 and a yearly pass is $30 - most get the yearly pass. If you ride with me, I've got one for my truck (you don't need one on your bike - unless you "park it to recreate"). Also, if you get a ticket for not having one, you can buy one after the fact and put the pass number on your ticket and you get out of the ticket.

I think you're out of luck with the 2-stroke for the rest of the year (unless you somehow are able to do an "out of state" sticker on it).

I've got a 4-door pickup that will haul 4 adults easy. The limitation on the 4th is the bike and gear. If we pull a trailer we could do 4 in the truck and keep the costs down...

This sounds like a fun one, I'll check with Steve and see if he's up for it, if not, Doug I'll split gas with ya or Jeff and I can team up or something :smile:

Great!!! That puts us up to five, maybe six, riders!

If Jeff doesn't mind and you still want to carpool, we can do the trailer for the fourth bike...

I would love to go, but my Saturdays are taken with my daughters soccer games for a while. I have been wanting to get out on a Sunday and ride though. I will have to catch you on the next one. smile.gif Ken

I see - playing "Soccer Mom".

We understand... This one came up kind of short notice - my wife got some last minute tickets to a concert on Saturday with some friends so that opens us up to some riding. I'm hoping to get a few more rides in on some technical stuff to dial in the bike and my skills for the Big Bear Run in June. I'm sure there'll be some Sundays. We'll swing by Big Pine Flat campground and see if it's open yet. I'm thinking of pulling the toyhauler up there for a camping trip one of these weekends...

Everyone,

Here's a link to the San Bernardino National Forest OVH web page. You can print out maps from there. The loops we'll be riding are all on the link titled: Mountaintop Ranger District - Lake Silverwood to Big Pine Flats.

Also, here's a google map link to the meeting area at Deer Springs Rd exit Park-N-Ride off of I-15:

Deer Springs Park-N-Ride (West)

Saturday :bad:

This is one ride I am eager to do, but due to work conflicts, I am generally not a saturday guy...

take lots of pictures

Saturday :huh:

This is one ride I am eager to do, but due to work conflicts, I am generally not a saturday guy...

take lots of pictures

Cough... Cough... :bad:

I guess between you and "Soccer Mom", we're going to have to set up a Sunday run...

:wacko::good:

Doug, you ruthless bastige... I am trying to cover my shift for Saturday...

This all looks freaking fun... The earlier, the better; gots to get some riding in before summer...

IF I go, i'll have another truck, with a pass, and space for 3 more...

"If Jeff doesn't mind and you still want to carpool, we can do the trailer for the fourth bike..."

another option I have a reciever bike carrier with a shoe it does hold 1 bike nicely :bad:

I think Steve and I will drive up in his FJ which only has 2 seats, and pulling the trailer.

So we have:

DigDoug (Has Pass)

Mickey

Papa

Jeff

Strega (Has Pass)

FJCruizin

That look right so far Doug?

"If Jeff doesn't mind and you still want to carpool, we can do the trailer for the fourth bike..."

another option I have a reciever bike carrier with a shoe it does hold 1 bike nicely :bad:

Only problem with that is that I have a short-bed truck, so can't put up the tailgate to fit the hauler (bikes in bed are too long, although i could probably take it off). Also, that leaves no room for gear.

We'll have to see how it pans out and who wants to go...

With the price of gas (and diesel) going up, it makes sense to consolidate as much as possible (leaves more $$$ for gas and accessories for the bikes!!!)

I think Steve and I will drive up in his FJ which only has 2 seats, and pulling the trailer.

So we have:

DigDoug (Has Pass)

Mickey

Papa

Jeff

Strega (Has Pass)

CJCruizin

That look right so far Doug?

Looks right to me, unless we can shame bikeslut into "getting sick"...

I have my shift covered... now I just need to get the VP to say "yes"... oh... and the wife

If I go, I have an enclosed trailer, and a 5 seat truck!

I have my shift covered... now I just need to get the VP to say "yes"... oh... and the wife

If I go, I have an enclosed trailer, and a 5 seat truck!

Nice!!!

Sounds like the enclosed trailer is the way to go... Gear/bikes/riders all in one package.

My truck gets 18-20mpg (should be pretty much the same with a small trailer) but burns that diesel stuff... I filled up last night at $4.69 per gallon!!! :lol:

Good thing I've got the bike to commute on and leave the truck parked most of the time...

Funny math fact though - I also have a '97 Jeep Wrangler that gets 15-16mpg, costs about the same per mile as the truck (cheaper gas, lower gas mileage).

boss said "yes"

wife said "yes"

I say "I'm IN"

If nobody else needs a ride, i'll just put the bike in the back of the truck... if anybody needs a ride, I can trailer out from alpine, and add people/bikes at the park n ride on 15.

craig? Jon? mikeyb?

(have a pass and a back-up pass)

I have to go get a new knobby before we go... mine's toast.

I have been off of this for most of yesterday, but I would still like to go along :D if there is any room available? If so where is the meeting place and what time? :lol:

I just looked at this thread since I'm supposed to be working this week. Supposed to be. I'm going to find out what's going on for tomorrow's work plans. If I can, I will make it. Bikeslut can we arrange a carpool?

New knobby? Pishaw! Ride it until you have a true 50/50 tire. Bald in the center, knobs on the side.

Jeff, maybe you, Honda, and Slut can coordinate to save on gas, etc. Steve and I are driving up in his FJ, which only has 2 front seats unfortunately.

I just looked at this thread since I'm supposed to be working this week. Supposed to be. I'm going to find out what's going on for tomorrow's work plans. If I can, I will make it. Bikeslut can we arrange a carpool?

New knobby? Pishaw! Ride it until you have a true 50/50 tire. Bald in the center, knobs on the side.

I have both tires, just maybe not enough time to change them... Either way, I'm going.

Jon; we can definitely arrnage a carpool... I'll bring the trailer, but I'd prefer not to run all the way to Clairemont... meet on 15?

Call me after work...

Jon; we can definitely arrnage a carpool... I'll bring the trailer, but I'd prefer not to run all the way to Clairemont... meet on 15?

Call me after work...

I can meet you on da 15.

I'll call you when I know for sure that I can make it. It'll be around 7ish.

If if would be ok to join the group, my buddy and I would like to go on the ride. I have two questions to qualify, one can the ride be done on Green Sticker bike, and two I have no idea if I am capable of an intermediate level ride? I rode out at Coral Canyon recently with "bikeslut", Steve can you shed some light, can I make this ride?

Our situation is we are self-contained and may have room for one more with bike and equip.

ORANGEBLOOD

If if would be ok to join the group, my buddy and I would like to go on the ride. I have two questions to qualify, one can the ride be done on Green Sticker bike, and two I have no idea if I am capable of an intermediate level ride? I rode out at Coral Canyon recently with "bikeslut", Steve can you shed some light, can I make this ride?

Our situation is we are self-contained and may have room for one more with bike and equip.

ORANGEBLOOD

I've never done this ride, but I think:

green sticker is OK... Mickey is 15

This ride may have it's challenges for you, but with a group, we can bulldog any obstacles.

When I rode with you at Corral, I remember you had some hesitation with trail 5, and said you were starting to get a little fatigued... I expect this will be a little tougher, and quite a bit longer

Jeff, maybe you, Honda, and Slut can coordinate to save on gas, etc. Steve and I are driving up in his FJ, which only has 2 front seats unfortunately.

Mr.Bikeslut can I get with you and Jon in a truckpool split the expenses if so, where and when, I am in out , getting some stuff together. I will back on, in a couple of hours to look for your answer. :lol:

Alright,

I'm back in front of a computer. I had to run around quite a bit for work today (don't mind doing that too much as long as I'm riding around and not driving around :lol: ).

Jeff,

Of course you're still welcome! Mickey and I will be at the Park-N-Ride at 7:00am tomorrow (Saturday). If you want to put your bike in the back of my truck, you're welcome to head up with us(we can figure it out at the Park-N-Ride then...) We'll show up in the morning and see who needs what... Always better to save gas for the bikes!!!

HondaPilot,

Heck yeah!!! come along... the more the merrier!

ORANGEBLOOD,

Yes - green sticker is all good. Like bikeslut said, my son is on a green sticker bike. The only non-green sticker road is a bypass for white mountain - but our morning route will take us in the easier direction (in my opinion). This is the way I'd look at the rider skill thing. You can always give it a try. Go to the Forest Service website here, and print out the map from the link "Mountaintop Ranger District - Lake Silverwood to Big Pine Flats". If what we're doing gets too hard for you you can either bypass the harder sections, or head back to the pinnacles area and ride some of the easier trails. The third option would be to head over to Lake Silverwood via the green-sticker legal forest roads. Scenic roads, but relatively easy. I rode trail 5 at Corral Canyon for the first time a couple weeks ago, and bikeslut is right, tomorrow's loop is a bit tougher, and quite a bit longer - but there's still quite a bit of good (and easier) stuff up there to entertain you.

Alright,

I'm back in front of a computer. I had to run around quite a bit for work today (don't mind doing that too much as long as I'm riding around and not driving around :lol: ).

Jeff,

Of course you're still welcome! Mickey and I will be at the Park-N-Ride at 7:00am tomorrow (Saturday). If you want to put your bike in the back of my truck, you're welcome to head up with us(we can figure it out at the Park-N-Ride then...) We'll show up in the morning and see who needs what... Always better to save gas for the bikes!!!

HondaPilot,

Heck yeah!!! come along... the more the merrier!

ORANGEBLOOD,

Yes - green sticker is all good. Like bikeslut said, my son is on a green sticker bike. The only non-green sticker road is a bypass for white mountain - but our morning route will take us in the easier direction (in my opinion). This is the way I'd look at the rider skill thing. You can always give it a try. Go to the Forest Service website here, and print out the map from the link "Mountaintop Ranger District - Lake Silverwood to Big Pine Flats". If what we're doing gets too hard for you you can either bypass the harder sections, or head back to the pinnacles area and ride some of the easier trails. The third option would be to head over to Lake Silverwood via the green-sticker legal forest roads. Scenic roads, but relatively easy. I rode trail 5 at Corral Canyon for the first time a couple weeks ago, and bikeslut is right, tomorrow's loop is a bit tougher, and quite a bit longer - but there's still quite a bit of good (and easier) stuff up there to entertain you.

Is it tougher than going up the Allesandro we did last week :D:D