Sign in to follow this  
Mr.JAJA

Cylinder Bore

I need my TT600 cylinder machined. What shop are you using and did make you happy?

Mr.JAJA

Racers machine mentioned above has done very good work for me.

I always used to go to Floyd's Automotive Machine Service on El Cajon Blvd, quick and inexpensive.  Unfortunately, it has been hit or miss if he's around the last few times I stopped there.  Great guy though.  Give a call before if you're going there.   (619) 284-7333

Thank you for your helping input. Escondido is close to me.

Racers Machine must be a good spot.

What is a reasonable ballpark range for a shop to measure a cylinder / clean it up for routine top end rebuild?

Also installing new valves on a 4 stroke head?

A coworker of mine is trying to price out a rebuild.

I wait fro my new Wiseco Set and will bring it to: Racers Machine.

14 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

Racers Machine must be a good spot.

What is a reasonable ballpark range for a shop to measure a cylinder / clean it up for routine top end rebuild?

Also installing new valves on a 4 stroke head?

A coworker of mine is trying to price out a rebuild.

It depends...Old bike...New bike... Just to measure cylinder and piston would not be too expensive. The new nikasil cyclinders do not wear too much. A good shop like this can measure the parts and see if you need a new piston, just rings, cylinder re-plate, etc. Many times with nikasil just rings can be replaced. But, you do need an accurate measurement to determine that. Wild guess...about $30 to measure. If re-plate is needed the cylinder has to sent to shops that do that. Only a few do it back in the mid west.

If you have a cast iron cylinder like Mr Jaja, They will need the piston so the bore can be sized to match. Usually with cast iron cylinder, it is at the least, honed and new rings used. At the worst case bored and a new over size piston and rings used.

With the head it can vary as well, depending on how much work is needed. It will need to be inspected / measured. Another wild guess for just inspection and measurement of head, maybe $50

Best bet would be to call 'em. I may be way off.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:58 AM, amgems said:

It depends...Old bike...New bike... Just to measure cylinder and piston would not be too expensive. The new nikasil cyclinders do not wear too much. A good shop like this can measure the parts and see if you need a new piston, just rings, cylinder re-plate, etc. Many times with nikasil just rings can be replaced. But, you do need an accurate measurement to determine that. Wild guess...about $30 to measure. If re-plate is needed the cylinder has to sent to shops that do that. Only a few do it back in the mid west.

If you have a cast iron cylinder like Mr Jaja, They will need the piston so the bore can be sized to match. Usually with cast iron cylinder, it is at the least, honed and new rings used. At the worst case bored and a new over size piston and rings used.

With the head it can vary as well, depending on how much work is needed. It will need to be inspected / measured. Another wild guess for just inspection and measurement of head, maybe $50

Best bet would be to call 'em. I may be way off.

Thanks for the reply. My coworker is looking to rebuild his early model CRF450r. Head rebuilds appear to be roughly $400 and piston kit $150. The cylinder should be in spec and worth a $30-50 accurate measuring, inspection and cleaning. New cylinder is $300.