Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Training for a half marathon/marathon

Anyone here ever ran a marathon, or half marathon?

I've considered trying this for a few years now. I have half a year with no outside distractions and have been starting some training, running between 3 to 6 miles every other day. Unfortunately I mainly have to use a treadmill so it's not the ideal setup but it works.

If there's anyone with any advice, tips or just thinks I'm crazy.....please chime in. I was hoping to run the Carlsbad marathon in January.

I've considered trying this for a few years now. I have half a year with no outside distractions and have been starting some training, running between 3 to 6 miles every other day. Unfortunately I mainly have to use a treadmill so it's not the ideal setup but it works.

If there's anyone with any advice, tips or just thinks I'm crazy.....please chime in. I was hoping to run the Carlsbad marathon in January.

If your not prepared your crazy.

Get off the treadmill and hit the roads, its completely different. Start slow and build up your endurance.

Start a schedule something like this. Light run Mon and Tue 2 to 4 miles, Wed 5-8, thurs 3 to 6, friday 4 to 8, Sat rest or a light run or walk. Gear up for a long run on Sunday, build up to 12 miles or more. Listen to your body on how hard and how long, you will know best. Take days off when you need to. The treadmill should be used at night even when you are running during the day. Also get on your bike, or swim if your tired and don't want to run. During the race avoid the urge to start out fast, stay within your means even if that hot chick or fat guy is burning by you, you will probably eventually catch them at mile 6 on up! By the way there are some women who can flat out haul ass, so don't feel bad about them smoking you. Just enjoy the scenery while there in your vision, makes running easier! Stay within your comfort zone and have fun.

The Carlsbad half is not that bad because its pretty flat, stay away from the La Jolla half and san dieguito half, they are hilly and brutal.

The main thing is to train hard, and find some running partners. What I would do is find someone during the race that ran at my pace or just a tad faster and ran with them...I've done at least 20 half marathons

Oh yeah, get some good shoes and stretch before and after, its a huge plus. Drink a lot of water. Get some massages as well, hot chick preferred! Hope that helps..... Sounds like a lot of work, maybe you should stick to just the massges? Kidding train and go for it, you will be glad you did, even if its only once.

Ron

I've run the Rock and Roll Marathon 7 of the 9 times it's been held (if you can call my 200lb+/"Clydesdale trot" running :D )....I'm signed up to run it this year too......but being that I haven't run AT ALL since the San Dieguito half in Feb I may blow it off.....or just walk it.....the cut-off time is 7 hours.....

It's just a mental game.......I just look at it as 26.2 one mile runs......at the Rock and Roll they have bands playing/water stops almost every mile so I pause for some water and walk the ~50 yards through the water stops....then run another mile and do it again.....over and over.....

I'm not the best person to ask about training because......well....I don't really "train"......I never run more than 5 miles a few times a week and one or two half marathons in preparation for the RnR because I don't want that much pain more than "once"/year (I usually run the San Dieguito half in February (best beer garden at any run) and the LaJolla Half in April (this year I was in Moab).........as a result my feet/hips get pretty sore on game day because they're not used to 4.5hrs of pounding the pavement......most reasonable folks will run 5-7miles a few days during the week and ramp up the long distance runs on the weekends.....maybe scale up to ~20 miles ~3 weeks before then scale back.....I never run two days in a row to prevent shin-splints......I generally cross train by riding my bicycle on non running days during the lunch hour......though I haven't been doing much of anything but motorcycling this year :lol::D:P:D

Here's a link to the Rock and Roll Marathon Training tips website.

A few C-Daddy Tips......buy some "glide" to protect against chaffing.....buy your running shoes 1 size too big (I lost the big toe nails on both fee the first year.....your feet will swell) and don't skimp on the quality of your shoes (I use ASICS Gel Kayanos)......toss the stock insoles and put in some Dr. Scholls inserts......show up EARLY, drink some coffee, and get that morning :wacko: out of the way since you don't wanna be dealing with that sort of a stop once you start running :D:(:D ......bring a few powergels to keep your energy up.....stay mentally tough.....and, perhaps most importantly, find a nice looking/hardbody gal to run behind/pace you.....it helps take your mind off the pain :D

As much as I'd like to get out and run the streets, I'm pretty much stuck running on the treadmill or once in a while on the flight deck. Once a month or so I'll be able to pound the pavement. When I run on the treadmill, I have been setting it at 1.0-2.0 incline. I would much rather run with some scenery, but I'm stuck here and have nowhere to go....so there it is!

As for running with a great looking gal, there are a few of them here but it's probably a 50-1 male/female ratio so the odds are against that.

I feel that I could run a half marathon right now. I'm running 10 minute miles and after an hour I know I still have plenty left. I just don't know if I have what it takes to continute running for 4+ hours. I suppose after working up to some longer runs I'll see if I have it in me.

Thanks for all the input so far, I'll do some running in Hawaii this weekend and then back to the treadmill for a few more weeks.

I miss Hawaii :blink:

Okay, back on track now...

When I run on the treadmill I set it no lower than 3.0 incline. Most of the marathon runners that I know say that is the best to use, since it simulates wind resistance and road condition.

Just my 2 cents

I'm "training" for Carlsbad too. A marathon is on my "to do" list for life and I figure I better do that one while I can.

One of the best things I've found is the Nike iPod + chinga. It's a little sensor you put in a case on your shoe and then a receiver plugs into your iPod. When you're done with your run you plug your iPod into your computer and it send your run info to a website. What's cool about it is that you can set up challenges with your friends or join other people's challeneges and, if you;re competitive by nature like me, it gives you that extra motivation to get out there (or on the treadmill) to get your run in.

I had to look up my old post on this, I guess it was over half a year old. Anyway, yesterday I completed what I had set out to do and crossed the finish line of the 2009 Carlsbad Marathon in 3 hours, 57 minutes and 29 seconds. My knees had been giving up on me the last few weeks and I didn't know if I was going to make it but I just took some Motrin and gutted it out.

Today I'm pretty sore.....quads, calfs, KNEES!!!! A few blisters and it looks like one toenail might depart the pattern in a few days. No pictures since I was too busy running, maybe next time. Next time??? I don't know what the hell I'm thinking!

Congrats Tom!!!

My 3 toenails grew back so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Get a light sports massage when you get a chance.

I had to look up my old post on this, I guess it was over half a year old. Anyway, yesterday I completed what I had set out to do and crossed the finish line of the 2009 Carlsbad Marathon in 3 hours, 57 minutes and 27 seconds. My knees had been giving up on me the last few weeks and I didn't know if I was going to make it but I just took some Motrin and gutted it out.

Today I'm pretty sore.....quads, calfs, KNEES!!!! A few blisters and it looks like one toenail might depart the pattern in a few days. No pictures since I was too busy running, maybe next time. Next time??? I don't know what the hell I'm thinking!

Nice!! Congrats on staying sub 4.....that's awesome :):)

Best time I ever laid down in the Rock and Roll was 4:16 in 2006.....I'm over it........too old/too fat.....knees really hurt after last years run......I've heard training would've helped prevent some of last year's pain :):):P:D

Congrats, that's awesome! No way I could ever do that. I'm like Gimli from Lord of the Rings. Very effective over short distances :)

i get tired DRIVING that far

That's hilarious, I said almost those same words as I was working on the training!

amazing, good luck in the recovery!

Blind :)

Two big glasses of Jim Beam last night were a good start on the recovery process.

Here's how dumb I am......right at this moment I'm working on the online registration for the La Jolla Half. Glutton for punishment much???

I think its time for group intervention, it sounds like it may be come addictive.

Seriously thou....Good job in Carlsbad.

Here's how dumb I am......right at this moment I'm working on the online registration for the La Jolla Half. Glutton for punishment much???

There's a much better visual "talent show" at the half marathons. :P ......The LaJolla half is fun/scenic but the BEST half (IMHO) is just a week away, The San Dieguito, it's put on by the Hash House Harriers (Drinking club with a running problem :):P:) )........they have the best beer garden at the finish of any half marathon in the county (local Micro brews....I used to go into a mental "beer lock" about mile 10.....made those last few miles much more bearable :D:):)

I've ran the San Dieguito half and the La Jolla half marathon 3 or 4 times each. For me the La Jolla half is way harder. Its deceicving because once you get to the top of torrey pine grade, your mind tells you the hard part is over, don't believe it. For me I actually hate running down the hill to La Jolla shore. Talk about burning calves the next day.

Good luck.

Ron

The LaJolla half is fun/scenic but the BEST half (IMHO) is just a week away, The San Dieguito, it's put on by the Hash House Harriers (Drinking club with a running problem :):D:) )........they have the best beer garden at the finish of any half marathon in the county (local Micro brews....I used to go into a mental "beer lock" about mile 10.....made those last few miles much more bearable :):):P

I have done a few HHH runs, always a good time. I don't think I'll be in any shape to do the San Dieguito this year but I'll look into it.

More runners in this group than I had figured.