Sign in to follow this  
bikeslut

Thursday the 8th

well I didn't take many pictures (I don't think many others did either; we had a lot of miles to ride in one day)

Thanks Jon and Crawdaddy for organizing such a fine trip! The fire roads, twisty single lane, and FM roads were awesome.

I started out riding sweep, and spending time with steveo.

We all congregated at the beginning of the road...forget the name.. here is the motley crew

post-122-1210347349_thumb.jpg

On (Black Banyon Road?) Doug took over sweep, and i ran up front right behind Jon, and right in front of Brent... I had been riding at a different pace in the back, and found the traction limits of my tires pretty quick. i took a spill at maybe 35 mph on hard/rocky fire road... I REALLY thought I was going to pull it out, RIGHT until the moment when I smashed my face in to the ground!

I was wearing all of my gear except for a chest protector (wearing the tool/snack vest) and came through pretty good, considering... brent stopped to laugh/help, but I was up and cursing before he could even turn his bike off. A couple of sore knuckles, abrasion on the wrist and a smashed finger.

post-122-1210347137_thumb.jpg post-122-1210347160_thumb.jpg

a short while later, the group split in half to meet at "the gas station in Anza"... unfortunately, there is more than one, so that was the last we saw of Todd, steveo, dug and jeff until much later.

we waited at the Hixon trailhead for a while, and I saw this...

post-122-1210347270_thumb.jpg post-122-1210347291_thumb.jpg

I want to go back and build a bridge!

Hixon and Alessandro definitely require you to pay attention, but our group went through relatively incident free. mikeyb found the need for a smaller lighter bike than his LC4, but he did fine... Jon dropped his bike off the side stand, and did the rest of the day with his license plate strapped to the back of his camelbak.

As we were coming down alessandro, we saw jeff and doug heading up... we made plans to meet at the ONLY Dairy Queen in town, gassed up, then came back the same way we went... some of the boys on a little detour..

post-122-1210347595_thumb.jpg

As we approach Ramona, who do we see on the side of the road? crawpappy and superchicken.. i wonder if he ever went to work at all...

then we all... kind of... dissipated... a couple of waves, and everybody went in different directions... I was stalked by a red sport bike all the way to Wildcat canyon road, but other than that, it was an uneventful ride home... um... drive :wacko:

I did get a few photos and some video and will post later, I enjoyed the ride,it was a fairly large group, 8, I think? a little diversity in brands and types. Too many names to remember but everyone was great. Navigating from google earth is new to me ,but I can see it has advantages to alternate routes much more interesting than pavement (thanks Jon) for my second ride on a bike about 30lbs heavier than the 250 the route up the hill was definitely challanging, :( my biggest problem was the overheating :D something I have never experienced with a 2-stroke I was thinking I had surely lost all my coolant, Doug was leading the way and motoring at the low side of 2nd I happened apon the 1st switch back I didn't have a clue it was coming after that it was very interesting the first thing I learned about 4-strokes, is a tendacy to choke and die unexpectedly, :lol: happened way to many times, I guess the rekluse on the 250 created some bad habits, :wacko: we met Jon,Bob,Mikeyb,Brent on the way down, exchanged stories and decided to meet at the Dairy Queen. I had pulled something in my back helping Steveo lift his Suzuki and was considering the road back from Anza but decided to ride the part of the route I missed when we had split earlier, it was a very good route much more interesting, I was behind Doug,dodging flying parts :D tailights,fender bags,but nothing critical and with the exception of my tumble in the peat moss :D a fun ride home. :D Thanks to everyone for a great ride. :D I will edit some video and post

post-3999-1210370323_thumb.jpgWell, this was my first group ride and I had a great time. Thanks to Bikeslut and Doug and Jeff for looking after me during the ride. Todd, nice to meet you.

Yesterday, I was pretty worked up after spending an hour in Anza wondering where the other half of the group was and how they had managed to lose us, but I'm over it now. I've been on many group street rides over the years where the same thing has happened.

Sorry to hear about your back, Jeff. Yesterday was the first time I had put the bike down and I didn't know I couldn't pick it up by myself! I'm going to have to find a technique that works; yanking on the handlebars sure is useless.

One of the nice things yesterday was that I learned a lot and I learned that I have a lot more to learn. That's what keeps things interesting.

If I am successful in adding a picture, it is of us waiting at Kirby road for the other half of the group. It could be titled "Where the f are those guys!" or "Jeff, tell me more about your neat video setup."

Steve

Yesterday was the first time I had put the bike down and I didn't know I couldn't pick it up by myself! I'm going to have to find a technique that worksSteve

Steve - First let me say, "I fall A LOT" :lol::D ......therefore I've become pretty good at picking my bikes up......I just use the same technique in the dirt that I was shown years ago to pick up heavy road bikes......turn your back to the bike, grab the handle bars with one hand and grab a rear grab handle, "Tugger" strap, whatever, with your other hand.....bend your knees, and push up with your legs with your butt against the seat........I don't even bother trying to lift the bike up while facing it......MUCH easier to lift the bike with your legs rather than straining your back (or Jeff's back :wacko: )

Nice to meet you yesterday morning.......glad you had fun.....bummer that the group got separated......look forward to seeing you on a future ride.....

PS -Suggest you change out the street oriented tires for a more dirt oriented tire (save the stock tires for some long/mellow adventure ride), get a "dirt" helmet/boots, and some protective gear.....that'll make your ride(s) more enjoyable.....

Chris,

Thanks for the advice. I've used the technique you mentioned successfully on a BMW R1100RT, so I know it works. I'll give it a try on the Suzuki. It should be a lot easier because of the "handles" on the bike.

I noticed that everyone in the group had nobbier tires than me and was thinking along those lines.

I was actually more armored than I looked; it was all underneath my clothes. I was curious to see how the street helmet would work out. It worked better than I expected because I was so far behind the rider in front that dust wasn't a serious problem. But it didn't have very good ventilation at those low speeds. I do plan to get some real dirt gear; I just have to decide on my color scheme! :wacko:

Steve

well I didn't take many pictures (I don't think many others did either; we had a lot of miles to ride in one day)

then we all... kind of... dissipated... a couple of waves, and everybody went in different directions... I was stalked by a red sport bike all the way to Wildcat canyon road, but other than that, it was an uneventful ride home... um... drive :wacko:

Good ride guys, good ride. Thanks for a good day out on the bike. I didnt think I was tired, but once I got home...... things changed, I ruined my sleep schedule.

Bikeslut - Just to set the records straight, I make it a point NOT to laugh at people's crashes, that is until its clear that they are unhurt and can laugh about it themselves. That being said, your little "incedent" was pretty much epic from my view! Wish I had my helmet cam on, lol.

I didnt take many pictures either, here are pretty much the only share-worthy ones.

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

This ride was mostly a combination of fun fire roads, twisties, and a few trails. I had a great time, but it got me thinking... we should do another ride very soon (before it gets too hot), with the purpose of exploring and spending most, if not all of our time on the trails. I had never been to that area (Hixon and whatnot) before, didnt know there was soo much out there! Am I alone with this thought?????

The first picture looks like Black Canyon, the second two look like the lower end of Hixon.

The first picture looks like Black Canyon, the second two look like the lower end of Hixon.

Thats exactly right! If by "lower end of Hixon" you mean - the first 10 feet up or so...

Also here is a very short video of Mikeyb showin his bike whos in charge..

th_MVI_0137.jpg

here is a 5min video at the begining of the trip allessario or whatever it is called not spelled with four letter words :lol:

this is taking a lot longer than it should I am learning new video editing software, they assume I know something and provide little in the way of instructions. :blink:

here is a 5min video at the begining of the trip allessario or whatever it is called not spelled with four letter words :lol:

this is taking a lot longer than it should I am learning new video editing software, they assume I know something and provide little in the way of instructions. :blink:

[/quote

here are some pictures I took :)

date='May 9 2008, 09:36 PM' post='21064']

[/quote

here are some pictures I took :)post-3479-1210447532_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210447361_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210447321_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210447111_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210447033_thumb.jpg post-3479-1210446840_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210446796_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210446165_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210446110_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210446017_thumb.jpg post-3479-1210445616_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210445666_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210445733_thumb.jpgpost-3479-1210445555_thumb.jpg :)

post-122-1210347595_thumb.jpg

does this mean it really happened? :blink:

:lol: yes... photographic evidence is the only proof... don't believe a word esefa says

date='May 9 2008, 09:36 PM' post='21064']

here are some pictures I took :blink:

Cool pictures and helmet cam action there. I remember you putting on the helmet cam pretty early into the ride, did any of that stuff come out decent?

Thanks for a great ride everyone...

Here's a few shots (I didn't take too many):

Riders winding along the road:

img1047mediumus6.jpg

SteveO crossing the stream:

img1049mediumuv2.jpg

Rest stop:

img1051mediumvq4.jpg

KTM pose on the lower part of Hixon:

img1052mediumid8.jpg

Jeff working his way up Allesandro:

img1053mediumjn8.jpg

KTM pose midway up Allesandro:

img1055mediumme9.jpg

Here's a couple videos of Jeff showing us how the steps of Allesandro are supposed to be done...

Lower step

Final obstacle

Great time everyone.. Thanks to bikeslut for putting it together and HondaPilot for leading the pack.

here is a 5min video at the begining of the trip allessario or whatever it is called not spelled with four letter words :blink:

Four letter words?

Awesome! - no that's 7

Fun! - no that's 3

Addicting! - no that's 9

A Blast! - that's 4 if you don't count the 'A'

Rocks - no that's 5 but you could cut off the 's'

Thanks for following me up Allesandro Jeff... I would have hated to ride all the way up there and not ridden the trail.

we should do another ride very soon (before it gets too hot), with the purpose of exploring and spending most, if not all of our time on the trails. I had never been to that area (Hixon and whatnot) before, didnt know there was soo much out there! Am I alone with this thought?????

I'm in!!! I've done a few pretty fun 1/2 day trips up there with my son (he rides a green sticker bike). We usually park at the bottom of Hixon, ride up Hixon, over to Allesandro, down Allesandro, turn around and go back up Allesandro, then buzz over to the 'nutcracker' singletrack, run it out and back, then ride back down Hixon to the trucks. There's also alot of neat stuff to explore on a dualsport on the other side of the canyon.

[Cool pictures and helmet cam action there. I remember you putting on the helmet cam pretty early into the ride, did any of that stuff come out decent?

Yes I got some good video along the way I have not had time to edit today had to ride the vtr on some twisty two lane on a beautiful sunny day. I need a simple video edit program I am working on it and will post. preping the 530 for baja next week going to San Felipe and maybe Mikes Sky ranch or a poker run ?

here is a 5min video at the begining of the trip allessario or whatever it is called not spelled with four letter words :blink:

Four letter words?

Awesome! - no that's 7

Fun! - no that's 3

Addicting! - no that's 9

A Blast! - that's 4 if you don't count the 'A'

Rocks - no that's 5 but you could cut off the 's'

Thanks for following me up Allesandro Jeff... I would have hated to ride all the way up there and not ridden the trail.

we should do another ride very soon (before it gets too hot), with the purpose of exploring and spending most, if not all of our time on the trails. I had never been to that area (Hixon and whatnot) before, didnt know there was soo much out there! Am I alone with this thought?????

I'm in!!! I've done a few pretty fun 1/2 day trips up there with my son (he rides a green sticker bike). We usually park at the bottom of Hixon, ride up Hixon, over to Allesandro, down Allesandro, turn around and go back up Allesandro, then buzz over to the 'nutcracker' singletrack, run it out and back, then ride back down Hixon to the trucks. There's also alot of neat stuff to explore on a dualsport on the other side of the canyon.

Doug I would like to ride my 250 up and down and up and down that would be worth the trip but my bike will be a red sticker when I get it registered can I ride it there? I am not sure how long or how much the process involves? I know I can learn to ride the big 4 stroke better but think the 2-stroke much lighter and rekluse equiped would be a blast up th ere and no steam in my face. :lol:

Doug I would like to ride my 250 up and down and up and down that would be worth the trip but my bike will be a red sticker when I get it registered can I ride it there? I am not sure how long or how much the process involves? I know I can learn to ride the big 4 stroke better but think the 2-stroke much lighter and rekluse equiped would be a blast up th ere and no steam in my face. :blink:

You can register bike at the DMV, (50 bucks for 2 years) but it will be red stickered and you will not be able to ride in most areas until October. October through April is the season down here. You can find areas such as Kennedy Meadows in Sequoia Park area that are open to red sticker bikes all year long, if you want to take a trip about 300 miles north of here and a very pretty area too.

Doug I would like to ride my 250 up and down and up and down that would be worth the trip but my bike will be a red sticker when I get it registered can I ride it there? I am not sure how long or how much the process involves? I know I can learn to ride the big 4 stroke better but think the 2-stroke much lighter and rekluse equiped would be a blast up th ere and no steam in my face. :lol:

You can register bike at the DMV, (50 bucks for 2 years) but it will be red stickered and you will not be able to ride in most areas until October. October through April is the season down here. You can find areas such as Kennedy Meadows in Sequoia Park area that are open to red sticker bikes all year long, if you want to take a trip about 300 miles north of here and a very pretty area too.

When :blink:

this is taking a lot longer than it should I am learning new video...

Another fine collection of photos and tales from the trail! Between this and the last few ride reports you all have given us some good glimpses of this area.

Jeff I enjoyed your unedited video. It doesn't gloss over the usual stuff that trips riders like me up on occasion. It's difficult to get a feel for some trails when it's all hero stuff and nothing else.

=====

B/slut: The "short bus" was wise to pass on this one... :blink:

some more video the first is Doug and Jeff going up part of allesandro trail and the second is various parts of the ride ;)

:lol:

confirmation that actually riding NEVER makes me get motion sickness, but 5 seconds of video will...

for all that went on this ride: thanks for the leadership and the company... I had a good time, and would love to go back after summer.

hondapilot's routes were awesome, and actually the most enjoyable part of the day for me... lots of fast fire road, and twisty roads... the singletrack was good, but could use a little moisture... I mean MORE than Jeff's spitting KTM would provide.

Sorry all I've been away from my computer.

I had a great time on this ride. The fire roads along this route are so much fun they just have to be ridden everytime I go North. The twisty pavement called Mesa Grande is the best paved road I know of in San Diego. Great views, tree lined roads providing a canopy of shade I was really worried that area burned in last years fires but thankfully it was saved. If you haven't ridden Mesa Grande, go do it on a Sunday, then stop at the Hideout and say Hi to Schwinn while you're there.

The single track was a real treat. I don't think it was as diffucult as the rumors made it out to be, but it sure was a great workout. I don't think I've been that sore after a ride since I bought my bike almost 2 years ago. Bikeslut, you thought it was dusty? I didn't have any trouble with dust... :lol:

It was great riding with Jeff again and finally meeting DigDug. It's too bad we got swtiched up on the gas stations, which one did you go too? MikeyB made a big accomplishment by actually "nutting up" and doing the entire loop with us. Way to go!! Just remember when the riding get's technical or rocky, stand up. Esefa, you're invited on every ride we go on. Great meeting you. Bikeslut, well what can I say, you finished another one, AND put on a great show on Friday. Thanks Again.

The rest of the guys that were there, thanks for showing up. I hope to see you on the next one.

I first lead a group along this route at last years April Fool's Ride. This was a preride for a bigger ride that will eventually cross the Coachella Valley and link up to XTsteve's route up to Big Bear. This'll be a weekend ride, but hopefully I'll be able to put it together soon.

See ya at the trailhead,

Jon

The single track was a real treat. I don't think it was as diffucult as the rumors made it out to be, but it sure was a great workout. I don't think I've been that sore after a ride since I bought my bike almost 2 years ago. Bikeslut, you thought it was dusty? I didn't have any trouble with dust... :lol:

ah... the pleasures of riding lead, and the perils of riding sweep... behind 3 big bore dual sports... with no regard for the plumes they send back...

I agree... the way we rode it, it was not as tough as I had prepared for... I dabbed a few times, but really never thought I was going to biff... uh... except for the time I biffed on the fire road... next time we'll go up Alessandro.

Jon- you working next Monday? ozzy wants to re-visit the spot of his last demise...

I'm sure you would be welcome... after I get his ok, I may post an informal ride...