Sign in to follow this  
Rexx Riot

DRZ is Too Rich?

Hey guys,

I recently relocated my DRZ to our home in Idyllwild. Since getting it up the hill I've found it smellin' a bit gassy and it has become apt to stumble and stall particularly on a downshift OR when under moderate to heavy throttle going uphill....it'll kick and sputter then conk out forcing me to dump the clutch and get it back to life.

I assumed this is due in part to altitude and needing to fiddle with the mixture a bit....but I'm new to carb'd bikes and wonder if I might be best served by a carb clean and tune/re-jet?

Idears? Tips for a carb rookie?

Try air screw first but yes rejet for elevation might be in order especially if you will leave it up there

Hey Rex Riot, with idyllwild only being about 5.5 thousand feet up, I really don't think it needs a rejet.  That bike has run well for hours and hours above 7000 feet through BDR's and Piute Trail, etc. Never even a tiny gas smell. Check all gas lines for cracks, snug up all nuts and bolts, toss old gas, maybe run a carb cleaner through the next tank with new gas, etc.  If always at altitude, sure, a rejet would get it the most dialed in, but it will be very likely that you will take that bike down to the desert for some roaming around and exploring (its warmer down there this time of year :).  If it has been sitting around for bit of time, or if you have played with air screw or other, a carb clean and a carb tune by a good mechanic may be in order.  I think I recall that you had a few good spins at altitude when you first got it, and it didn't spit then I don't think. Hope you get it dialed in soon, and be careful up there in the high country, especially when those roads get icy.  cheers.

Does the DRZ have the constant velocity (CV) carb or the FCR pumper?  If it's the CV, I agree that it should run acceptably without a rejet.  The pumper even should run ok, but it's more susceptible to altitude causing issues.  Either one will run better if jetted properly to the altitude if it's going to be run there the majority of times.  

I agree with MacDuncan, ensure it's clean and everything is legit first.  If the bike has sat for any length of time more than a few weeks, your carb is probably a bit sticky and the seals inside it are suspect as well.  Modern gas (ethanol) does amazing things to carburetors, and not in a good way.

Thanks for the excellent inputs gentlemen, much appreciated. I'm relieved that these minor symptoms don't seem to indicate anything to worry about. A good bit of TLC will likely go the distance.

Nothing will teach me about the carb like picking it to bits. The CV carb actually feels 'sticky' if that translates...almost like it is unwilling to close or open throttle sometimes without a bit of a fuss. I'll start with a good sniff and clean and take it from there. 

Happy holidays guys! Anyone coming up the hill is welcome to ping me, we have a couple extra beds upstairs...