Sign in to follow this  
Steve

I'll be in trouble if I kill my brother

I'm looking for a good safe place to ride with my brother from Michigan. He rode a bit as a kid, but hasn't ridden in 20 years. It seems that the places I have ridden have lots of sand (Ocotillo, Anza Borrego), or lots of exposure (ridgeline trails where a wrong turn or inappropriate throttle twist results in an unplanned descent) (Palomar Divide, Bradshaw Trail). So, sand is definitely safer, but on a recent phone call, brother stated loud and clear 'I hate sand'. I told him for the kind of riding that he's looking for (nice trail or fire road, trees, no sand) he should just stay in Michigan, but that is not the plan. I have another DRZ400S for him to ride, but don't quite know where to take him. It will be a day ride Friday, May 9th. I would welcome your suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Pine Valley exit off of I-8 is pretty easy stuff, or you could head to Corral Canyon and stick with the "Green Circle" trails. Kernan Cycle Trail connects the two, but I would recommend a little seat time before you attack it :)

Park at four corners, and ride Corral interior trails... most of it is very easy... the harder stuff is not really that hard, and very few places where a death might occur

You can start with a paved ride to the tower, then some fire road down to spur, which is a safe-enough singletrack...

that's what I'd do if he doesn't want sand...

Just watch out for riders on 2-strokes traveling the wrong direction on Spur Meadow trail. :) Or better yet have Bikeslut lead to clear the way. :D

Just watch out for riders on 2-strokes traveling the wrong direction on Spur Meadow trail. :) Or better yet have Bikeslut lead to clear the way. :D

Which is the wrong direction?

Just watch out for riders on 2-strokes traveling the wrong direction on Spur Meadow trail. :huh: Or better yet have Bikeslut lead to clear the way. :lol:

How 'bout four-strokes traveling the wrong direction? :unsure::blink::huh:<_<

Which ever direction is opposite the one I'm traveling! My comment was a joke because the Sunday that Bikeslut and I rode Spur Meadow I was in the lead and sho' nuff', in a section with no escape route, a smoker came around the corner and all we had time to do was say "oh sh!t" to ourselves as we smashed handlebars and went to the ground. Luckily, neither of us was hurt nor were our bikes but it made me a little skittish rounding corners with any speed. It was probably just bad luck to encounter the guy in a section with little sight distance but I am suprised some of the tighter trails out there aren't one way.

How 'bout four-strokes traveling the wrong direction? :unsure::blink::huh:<_<

Four strokes always have the right of way! :huh: Especially 315 lb. ones with 230 lb. riders!!! I think that 's why I faired better than the other guy.

It is the only real concern I have at Corral; they are all two way trails, and mostly singletrack (with quads allowed on many of them)

They are fairly tight, and most have tree cover... don't treat it like a race track (and hope the other people aren't also), and it's not normally too bad

A Friday shouldn't be too bad, and at Corral, earlier is always better... It's one of the reasons I sometimes drive to 4 corners... get some hot laps in before others show up. The more vehicles at the parking area, the more I slow down on Kernan, trail 1 and two and Spur Meadow.

Which ever direction is opposite the one I'm traveling! My comment was a joke because the Sunday that Bikeslut and I rode Spur Meadow I was in the lead and sho' nuff', in a section with no escape route, a smoker came around the corner and all we had time to do was say "oh sh!t" to ourselves as we smashed handlebars and went to the ground. Luckily, neither of us was hurt nor were our bikes but it made me a little skittish rounding corners with any speed. It was probably just bad luck to encounter the guy in a section with little sight distance but I am suprised some of the tighter trails out there aren't one way.

I've asked the ranger about this... making some trails one way. Kernan is probably the one that would be best as a one way, but then you couldn't go back around, cuz it's the only trail in that area... but it is one of the things I would most like... a guarantee everybody is going the same way...

The ranger has also shown interest in mapping out more trails (especially in the bear valley road area) and getting routes designated as trails... trails more hard core than the fire road. Maybe, if this goes well, we can push some new trail development, and the one way trail agenda.

Joliet suggested Toro Peak & Thomas Mountain, Ride Orange and Bikeslut suggested Corral Canyon. I haven't been to either and one of these will be the winner. Thanks all for your ideas.

Let me help you decide between the two...

Toro Peak is mostly a fire road, and is up in north county (riverside?) Very untechnical for the most part, with awesome views and pine trees

Corral is almost all singletrack, near Alpine/Campo. Most routes are fairly easy, but it is not really a sit down kind of pace. Decent views amid the scrub. The fire road beyond the lookout tower will take you in to pine trees (Los Pinos), and is a nice place to hang out and have lunch.

You can't go wrong either way... I seen people crash BOTH places <_<