Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Pinnacles 03/15/08

It was just the three of us, Digdug, Mickey and I on our way up to the San Bernardino mountains this morning. Our drive started out partly sunny.

100_0564.jpg

But the closer we got to our destination, the cloudier it got, and quite dark and foggy driving up the mountain pass.

100_0567.jpg

I kept thinking that something was falling out of the sky that wasn't rain because it just skittered off the windshield of my car. Could it have been snow? I wasn't sure. There wasn't any snow on the ground at the staging area when we arrived, but it was plenty cold. We quickly geared up and got under way, taking some of the many singletracks that were out there. Mickey was our trail master for the day. It was a little dusty, and there was mud and running water a plenty as well. We ended up at the bridge on the road that goes up to Dishpan Springs, but that is as far as we got because the road was blocked off to motorized traffic at that point. There was probably some snow at higher elevations, no doubt.

100_0569.jpg

So we turned around and went up the fire roads to Deep Creek. It was too deep :D

100_0573.jpg

So we headed back to the staging area, to have a snack and plan our next leg of the ride. On the way, we found another interesting water crossing. I didn't actually see Mickey go through, but I followed next. Man that sucker was deep! Digdug saw me go and wanted to take a drier route, but I persuaded him to run through it so I could get a picture. He got pretty soaked! :D

100_0577.jpg

After we got back to the vehicles it started to snow. Rather lightly and it quit after a while. We rode down to Silverwood lake, where we stopped for a break. Then we took this crazy roller coaster road back. Mickey found a hillclimb that stumped him.

100_0591.jpg

Digdug staged at the bottom of the hill

100_0596.jpg

made his way up, up,up

100_0597.jpg

All the way to the top, before his clutch lever, and then the bike.... got away from him. I was laughing so hard I couldn't hold the camera still :D

100_0598.jpg

Mick and I went around and even that was gnarly. Later some clown slid into me while he was coming down one of those steep inclines and I was on my way up. He knocked me over. :D That was really my only fall for the day. When we got near the staging area, it had began to snow again, and just kept on snowing till we drove out of there. I tried to catch some snowflakes on my tongue.

100_0604.jpg

We loaded up our bikes as more of the white stuff came swirling down.

100_0612.jpg

You guys that didn't go today, really missed another epic adventure. So neener neener.

Maybe next time. :)

Thanks Digdug and Mickey for the great company. And oh yeah, little two-strokes rule! Even at altitude! B)

Looks like you folks had a blast.....and got outta Dodge just in time from the looks of things (snow).....a hardy bunch to take on those deep water crossings this time of year.....

Mickey and I had the day off so we decided we needed to do some "recon" of the trails up at Lake Arrowhead. We wanted to see how the winter had treated the trail system up there and how much snow was left. We were pleasantly surprised at their condition! The weather forecasts had us somewhat worried, but we we determined to have a ride in the mountains. At the meeting area it was only Mickey, DirtDame, and me. No problem - nice small group.

At the staging area:

img1607smallrk0.jpg

We decided to hit the trails right around pinnacles, sort of following my 50 mile loop from last summer. We figured we'd go until we couldn't go any more. We got alot further than I expected!!!!

Lots of other people out there today - more than I expected!

img1608smalldd2.jpg

Some quads wondering whether they should try the part of the trail that runs down the creek:

img1609smallsq8.jpg

The weather and conditions were perfect!!!

img1612smallmy0.jpg

The sun was shining most of the morning, there was almost no wind at all in the trees/canyons - I was even a little warm with the jacket on.

img1613smalllf0.jpg

There was still snow on the sides of the trail, but none really on the trail. There was a bit of mud in places - just enough to make it fun!!!!

img1615smallbt1.jpg

A few trees had come down over the winter and required some "navigation".

img1617smalluq2.jpg

More "navigation" going on - this time with a little of that mud...

img1619smalljf8.jpg

This is the one section I was worrying about - I remember taking 1/2 hour a couple years ago bulldogging my XR650L up this section because of the mud - now it wasn't too bad.

img1620smallwt0.jpg

Still a little muddy, but easily managable - some pretty good ruts though:

img1622smallvy2.jpg

img1624smalltc3.jpg

To the main road and down to deep creek - It was pretty deep!!!

img1626smallze3.jpg

We tried another trail off the main road, but it was blocked by down trees. Here's Mickey backtracking.

img1628smalllb9.jpg

We had no intentions of getting soaking wet, but figured we'd take a quick trip down to Devil's Hole to check out what the winter did to the crossing.

img1629smalllw6.jpg

At Devil's Hole, taking a break to walk down and check out the crossing.

img1630smallbu3.jpg

The river was RAGING!!!! It's going to be a while before I want to cross this thing. The rocks are all moved around and the water was DEEP! Once the water recedes, the "trail" across will have to be rebuilt - lots of big rocks and no real smooth place to ride across.

img1631smalllm6.jpg

img1632smallug5.jpg

img1634smallzp3.jpg

Although the boulder field after the crossing seems a little easier

img1637smallfs5.jpg

Gearing up to head back up from Devil's Hole

img1639smallks3.jpg

If we were dry, that changed at the creek crossing. Dirt Dame finding out just how deep it was

img1641smallgz4.jpg

This guy came after us

img1642smallnr0.jpg

We headed back to pinnacles for a quick snack and some dry gloves. By the time we got there, it was lightly snowing.

img1645smallfk1.jpg

img1648smallfv0.jpg

We figured we'd head out towards Lake Silverwood and see how those trails were. It was BLAST riding in the snow!!!!

img1649smalldh2.jpg

Miles and miles of trails along the ridgeline

img1650smallwm3.jpg

Lake Silverwood

img1651smalltk5.jpg

And down to the dam at the lake - this place was PACKED with people

img1652smallqa1.jpg

We decide to take the difficult trail back

img1655smalllr2.jpg

Lots of fun hillclimbs - good traction with the damp dirt

img1656smallrf3.jpg

The crux hillclimb - here Mickey gives it a shot

img1658smallfk1.jpg

He didn't quite make it and came back down. I just had to give it a try though. I almost made it all the way before dropping the bike at the top - Past the hard part!!!

Looking back down at Mickey and Dirt Dame before they took the bypass:

img1661smalldx1.jpg

More hills on the ridgeline

img1662smallgv0.jpg

img1664smalljg9.jpg

By the time we got back to Pinnacles, the snow was beginning to fall harder. We loaded up and called it a day

img1667smallqz4.jpg

I cant wait to head back up there!!! It was awesome!!!

img1668smallbq5.jpg

Thanks DirtDame for keeping us company on a great Saturday ride in the mountains!!!

Wow... wow... wow... You all must be a hardcore riders. Those deep water crossing and very steep hill climb are really an epic adventure you all had accomplished. Awesome and thanks for sharing it with us...

Ride safe,

Gery

Great ride report! Seems like there's lots of good riding over there! :D I have been to some of Big Bear trails, but never going down to Silverwood Lake... Cool! :D

img1624smalltc3.jpg

Manageable? I managed to stick and hang up my lower fork legs right here, followed by my kickstand and rear axle nut in this rut! B):D:D

Another great ride report, that really looks like a good time :D good pics, looks to be very technical in spots :D like to see clips of the hill climbs,water and logs crossings. Wish I was there B)

Another great ride report, that really looks like a good time :D good pics, looks to be very technical in spots :) like to see clips of the hill climbs,water and logs crossings. Wish I was there :D

Yeah, you would have felt right at home, except that there are more and bigger hills probably out here B)

There will be more of this later in the year, so you will be able to join us. Unfortunately after April ends so does red sticker season :D and you will have to ride your four-stroke. Not a problem for you, I am sure.

The river was RAGING!!!! It's going to be a while before I want to cross this thing.

Wonder if they'll send us across that section as part of the Big Bear Run on June 21st? :D

The river was RAGING!!!! It's going to be a while before I want to cross this thing.

Wonder if they'll send us across that section as part of the Big Bear Run on June 21st? :D

If they do, it would look more like this:

img0691dp7.jpg

This was a run in May 07. The water was even down to ankle deep by August. We noticed that a lot of rocks and boulders had been displaced and moved around since last year due to high runoff from the big storms that have moved through this winter.

looks killer, I should've come. Had all my stuff ready to go, but thought the wind was going to be real bad. My loss, your gain!

img1624smalltc3.jpg

Manageable? I managed to stick and hang up my lower fork legs right here, followed by my kickstand and rear axle nut in this rut! :lol::lol::lol:

But you "managed" didn't you???

:D:lol::):P

It really was a great ride - I was expecting colder and windier and just getting by instead of the fun we had!!! It made me realize how much I'm missing the mountain/woods riding of summer.

Thanks again for tagging along with Mickey and me...

And for all you "afraid of the cold/wind/snow" riders (that failed to read the front of this year's Desert Dash T-shirt), stay tuned for Pinnacles 2008 version 2.0!!!!!

desertdash2008tshirtmedoa9.jpg

looks killer, I should've come. Had all my stuff ready to go, but thought the wind was going to be real bad. My loss, your gain!

The wind didn't kick up much on our side of the mountain. It was windy on those exposed ridges near Silverwood, but not really a problem. Once the ride was over and we headed home and hit the west edge of the range out of Blue Jay, the wind kicked up pretty good and was fairly gusty for most of the drive back south. There weren't too many conditions that would have stopped us from pursuing and having our fun, short of a hurricane or a blizzard. :lol:

damn Dug, I guess I'm a big wimp for not coming :lol: I saw the forecast and didn't want a repeat of a couple months ago when I went out to the desert and it was white out conditions from the wind. Rain and snow are ok, its leaning into the wind while at a 45 degree angle that ruins it for me.

Sounds like numbskul may have been a victim by the wind. Hopefully he is in good hands at the moment.

damn Dug, I guess I'm a big wimp for not coming :lol: I saw the forecast and didn't want a repeat of a couple months ago when I went out to the desert and it was white out conditions from the wind. Rain and snow are ok, its leaning into the wind while at a 45 degree angle that ruins it for me.

Sounds like numbskul may have been a victim by the wind. Hopefully he is in good hands at the moment.

That's the problem with some of my postings on the internet - hard to see the sarcasm... :lol:

I hear ya on the wind nastiness. It's definitely no fun to be fighting the winds. I figured the forest was better for the winds than the open desert - I guess we may have been right. We were up for the exploration, we had the day off and wanted to kill some time. We took a chance with the weather and it paid off. I can see how, in this day of expensive gas and busy lives, you might not want to risk the 3-4 hrs on the road and not get to ride.

No problem man - we'll catch you next time around. We'll be going up there a few more times this summer at least!!!!

:lol:

I also hope numbskul winds up alright - that sounds like a bad deal...

No problem man - we'll catch you next time around. We'll be going up there a few more times this summer at least!!!!

:lol:

Yes, and for those of you who join us, be ready for hill climbs. Digdug and Mickey love those hill climbs!