All,

Who wants to ride Hixon/Alesandro and other trails in Hemet/Idyllwild area this Saturday 03/01/08?

papa.

I could be persuaded to do such a ride. :P:P

duel sport or green sticker

Only Hixon trail(about 7 miles)and Allesandro(about 3 miles) are OHV trails, and they are about 3 or 4 miles apart. All the rest of the ride has to be done on a street legal machine.

The ride is intermed/advenced, for hixon/allesandro part....the rest will be fire rode for all levels.

papa.

Not sure if I'll make this ride or not (probably not).....but I remember Papa couldn't find the single track I tried to steer you to once before near Idyllwild that we rode as part of the Dualies Charity ride last Spring......so......I just played around a bit with Mapsource and created a ~65 mile fun loop which starts and ends at Hixon since that was your stated starting point (had to draw in a few segments like Allesandro/Bautista to make a loop so the GPS track won't be spot on......but close enough)

Here's how it lays out:

- Hixon to Allesandro (track takes a hard left up top and swings out and around coming back to main trail.....Mimi knows the proper name for that section)

- Allesandro down to Bautista Rd.

- Bautista Rd. to a challenging uphill single track off 6S16 that connects to Thomas Mtn Rd.

- Thomas Mtn Rd. to 74

- 74 to 243 to JoAnn's in Idyllwild (Breakfast or lunch depending on how much playing you do in the Hixon/Allesandro area)

- JoAnn's to a FUN single track just outside of Idyllwild that eventually reconnects to a control road which will drop you back down ~ 4 miles to 74 (the single track is short & tight......run it BOTH ways for three fun one way trips through it)

- Then 74 through Hemet to Fairview and back to Hixon/trucks via Bautista Rd.

I'm sure you know the drill by now......save the .txt file as a .gdb file so you can open it in Mapsource.......Have fun!

Hixon.Allesandro.Thomas_Mtn.Idyllwild.txt

duel sport or green sticker

Only Hixon trail(about 7 miles)and Allesandro(about 3 miles) are OHV trails, and they are about 3 or 4 miles apart. All the rest of the ride has to be done on a street legal machine.

Hixon, Allesandro, and the connecting fire road on top of the mountain are all green sticker. There are also a few green sticker trails that take off from just north of the Cranston Ranger station. For a map go here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/ohv/ and click on the link for "San Jacinto Ranger District Off Highway Vehicle Riding Areas". The routes in red are green sticker legal.

Unfortunately, there's no way to connect these two areas without a plate :P

Alex, I'm thinking about joining you guys on this one. I've got a couple other "obstacles" I have to get out of the way before I can go play this weekend, so I'm 50/50 right now. Who wants to try Allesandro uphill??? :P

Hixon, Allesandro, and the connecting fire road on top of the mountain are all green sticker. There are also a few green sticker trails that take off from just north of the Cranston Ranger station.

That's good to know, because there used to be a sign at the bottom of Tripp Flats stating that only street legal vehicles were allowed. I haven't noticed lately if the sign is gone or not.

Out of Cranston station, Bee Canyon is green sticker up to a certain point and then there is a sign (or there was last year) saying street legal vehicle beyond that point.

Hixon, Allesandro, and the connecting fire road on top of the mountain are all green sticker. There are also a few green sticker trails that take off from just north of the Cranston Ranger station.

That's good to know, because there used to be a sign at the bottom of Tripp Flats stating that only street legal vehicles were allowed. I haven't noticed lately if the sign is gone or not.

Out of Cranston station, Bee Canyon is green sticker up to a certain point and then there is a sign (or there was last year) saying street legal vehicle beyond that point.

I printed out and carried the map - any hassles and I would have just pulled out the map...

It's nice to be able to link Hixon and Allesandro when I've gone up there with my son - the only disadvantage of the green sticker is that if you park at Hixon and go down Allesandro, the only legal way to get back to the trucks is back up Allesandro - no bailing out, legally anyways.

There are lots of nice trails up there that are green sticker legal, but unfortunately you have to truck the bike between them to be legal - That really sucks :P

Darned closed trails!!!

I hope I can go along with you guys this weekend - I'm wanting to check out some more of the area up there...

I would love to go on the ride, but I have been neglecting the homestead for a few weeks and need to get some work done. The weeds are out of control, I am afraid they will declare my property a wilderness area :P . Catch you guys next weekend. :P Ken

I would love to go on the ride, but I have been neglecting the homestead for a few weeks and need to get some work done. The weeds are out of control, I am afraid they will declare my property a wilderness area :lol: . Catch you guys next weekend. :lol: Ken

You don't want to have that happen! If the ranger catches you parking your house in a marked (or even an unmarked) wilderness area, he'll write you a big ol' grumpy parking ticket.

I heard they were taking pictures of people with their houses, threatening to cite them based on witness accounts!

fn

It's OK, I hid my face from the camera. If they want to know who I am, Bob will have to give them clues :oB):o . Ken Boyd (damnit) B)

getting back to the subject. What was it? Oh yeah, Papas trail ride. I think I will not be on this particular ride, although I might be in the area....riding.

All,

Who wants to ride Hixon/Alesandro and other trails in Hemet/Idyllwild area this Saturday 03/01/08?

papa.

Guys,

I waked up with a little flu this morning...I'm not sure if I would be up for riding tomorrow...I'll post later, but fill free to take over a lead from me if you want to go.

SORRY

papa.

Hi all,

I am trying to get a head count of who want's to go tomorrow.:o Could you please chime in for a head count.

XTSTEVE

I will be wanting to ride that area tomorrow but not from the Hemet side. I plan to start from the Anza side at Tripp Flats trail and park just past the closed Tripp Flats ranger station.

I want to ride and will be deciding tomorrow morning by how I fill...do not count me out just yet...any starting point is fine with me...I'm standing by.

papa.

I can meet anybody at 8 a.m. at the El Norte(Parkway) exit in Escondido, east side park and ride.

There is a specific singletrack trail I want to check out that I haven't ridden in about three years.

So far it looks like Ozzy n' me at El norte Parkway at 8:00 aeyem.

We will let the rest of you know what fun you missed out on when we get back and post.

I can meet anybody at 8 a.m. at the El Norte(Parkway) exit in Escondido, east side park and ride.

There is a specific singletrack trail I want to check out that I haven't ridden in about three years.

OK... it's 99% chance that I'm in (those are pretty good odds, aren't they?)

See you guys at El Norte Park -n- Ride at 8!!!!

Well, how was it? Are Hixon/Allesandro rutted badly from the recent rains? Did you try the the other single tracks on the GPS track I posted (one on Thomas Mtn and the one up by Idyllwild)?

Well, how was it? Are Hixon/Allesandro rutted badly from the recent rains? Did you try the the other single tracks on the GPS track I posted (one on Thomas Mtn and the one up by Idyllwild)?

Pretty good riding. I just got home and finished supper. It is pretty rutted out with lots of exposed rocks, but a blast nonetheless!!!!

We didn't follow your tracks too much... Parked at the south end (near the old Trip Flats ranger station) and rode some SSS (shhh.. don't tell anyone....) Grabbed some lunch in Anza then back on the mountain, down Alessandro and up Hixon back to the trucks. Only 56 miles, but 56 good miles.

Some of the riders were taking pictures (I really need to find what I did with my camera) and will probably post a report here shortly...

You missed a good ride!!!