Bagstr

50 Miles of Imaginary Winter

Conditions = Fun - Ride Partner = Fun -  Loop = Fun.... Thanks for making the trip EddieEarl!

i-btPNjNB-L.jpg

i-53tPJHg-L.jpg

i-qGN3Npv-L.jpg

Great ride today, Bags!  Thanks for leading and giving me the run-down.  30 years ago I learned to ride a dirt bike in Ocotillo and since then I've really only kept to the old-shool area.  I've known about ABDSP and have been wanting to get out there for a long, long time.  The trails today were awesome - had a blast - and I'm looking forward to exploring some more!

20161017_101831.jpg

20161017_100506.jpg

20161017_095914.jpg

20161017_084003.jpg

GPX track:  Grapevine - Jasper TT - Borrego.gpx

i-JFtppZ6-L.jpg

Salton Sea View!!!  Above Little Culp Valley.   Under 60f at 4000ft,  80-85f on the Floor.

You know, you just never know how it will turn out.   

We were,  on the edge with the weather; Windy, blowing dust?  The weather-woman forecast the lowest temperatures of the week Monday and I rolled the dice. EddieEarl and I had never met, much less rode together. Turns out our skills and pace were a good match. 

65F as we rolled out of Tamarisk Grove heading west in Grapevine Canyon into clouds and Mist. Still knocking up dust but the air was damp to wet depending on elevation. Right turn and up Jasper Truck Trail our visibility shrunk to a thousand feet. Climbing that Jasper DG is always about as good as it gets as far as a track. Coldish up at 4000 feet.  Down to Little Culp and we decided to drop down Montezuma Grade, cross Borrego Springs and roll out to Inspiration Dunes.

Out on the sand the temperature bounced up to the low 80s, with the sand still soft and fluffy, wind blown over trails to the point of losing the two track here and there. Deep sand southward toward San Gregorio Monument.  Short stop to check the view with a pretty clear sky. I was on a short leash yesterday with an afternoon appointment in town .  We pushed south on the ATV Track on the ridges to the Air Ranch. Our final Fun Zone was the pole line road south from Borrego Springs Rd. to Hwy 78 at The Narrows. This up and down roller coaster of a road was pretty darn smooth apparently maintained by the Line Crews. Major Hoot blowing through this section and a good way to finish.

There you have it, Cool Temps, Good Company, Terrific Track.  Fifty Miles of the 500 available in the Park.  490 to go this season!  Oh yeah, breezy but never too windy.

Good Time

I think logging all 500 miles of the ABDSP is a worthy goal this riding season.  Im up for a weekly ride to do just that.

Next week ...what day we riding?  Where we meeting?

Shoot - TUES is the worst day for me, but I could make it work later in the morning.  I assume as fall/winter sets in that leaving a little later isn't such a bad idea, right? (warmer temps)  Does MON or WED work just as good? 

Chris,  If you are available Wednesday, start a Breakfast Thread for that.