Sign in to follow this  
Tree

Tme to freshen up

Looks like after 5 1/2 years with 3+ race seasons and numerous play rides it's time to freshen up the top end on the old KTM. It was acting strange towards the end of the last race. It wouldn't idle and the idle control knob did little. I'd have to keep it reved at the checks and it was a bit sluggish and choppy during the last lap. I tryed firing it up yesterday couldn't get it lit (wore the battery down and no luck kicking). I pulled the air filter and found a small pool of oil in the air box. I called my buddy Robert from Vey's and told him I'm bringing it in. Also, I called Travis from KTM talk to order up a 540 kit. So it looks like, I'll have it ready for the race on the 3/9. ;) In the mean time Robert offered up a Beta for me to use at the desert dash. Only issues I might have since the bike is so new, no oversized tank so I may have to carry some gas with me and he has all the dealer plate paperwork but no dealer hard plate yet. Think the rangers will be pulling me over?

Think the rangers will be pulling me over?

The Tuesday ride with Jeff was a similar situation. His bike was three days off the showroom floor and had all the paperwork just no plate. We rode roundtrip from Poway, passed multiple cops and one park ranger and none of them stopped us. Jeff said the Ranger did a double take, but didn't turn around or light us up. As long as you're legal, you'll be ok. I'm sure all the law enforcement community is aware of the backlog at the DMV for plates.

Sounds like the bike will be a real monster when finished. We'll all be expecting a full ride report on the Beta at the conclusion of the dash.

Jon

A buddy was out in AB on Tuesday... He was going to the slot, and a Ranger spun around and lit them up... All three were plated, so he just chatted with them, but they were a WR, a YZF and an xr400... in other words, no street legal bikes "from the factory"... they'll stop you on a beta, just to get a better look ;)

That's very cool that Robert will allow you to use one of the bikes! The Betas look good!

If that falls through, you're welcome to my undersprung, underpowered DRZ... with new plastic...

Looks like after 5 1/2 years with 3+ race seasons and numerous play rides it's time to freshen up the top end on the old KTM. It was acting strange towards the end of the last race. It wouldn't idle and the idle control knob did little. I'd have to keep it reved at the checks and it was a bit sluggish and choppy during the last lap. I tryed firing it up yesterday couldn't get it lit (wore the battery down and no luck kicking). I pulled the air filter and found a small pool of oil in the air box. I called my buddy Robert from Vey's and told him I'm bringing it in. Also, I called Travis from KTM talk to order up a 540 kit. So it looks like, I'll have it ready for the race on the 3/9. ;) In the mean time Robert offered up a Beta for me to use at the desert dash. Only issues I might have since the bike is so new, no oversized tank so I may have to carry some gas with me and he has all the dealer plate paperwork but no dealer hard plate yet. Think the rangers will be pulling me over?

Come on now... Everyone here has bought a new bike and ridden without a plate...

Do you really want an answer to your question or are you just bragging about the 540 kit and the Beta?

;);) :ok: :D;)

Just kidding...

Can I try it????? ;)

Come on now... Everyone here has bought a new bike and ridden without a plate...

Do you really want an answer to your question or are you just bragging about the 540 kit and the Beta?

;);) :ok: :D;)

Just kidding...

Can I try it????? ;)

Sure you can try it. I think that's one of the reasons (other then being a friend) he's letting me bring it down so everyone can see them, try it out, and know where to get one.

did you ever get the 540 kit?

Yeah it's in. I didn't get a lot of time on it yet. Last ride I busted my clutch hose and was grounded plus the jetting wasn't quite there. this weekend should be the test. it's rejetted and ready to go. I'll be at superstition for the race on sunday and riding on friday and sat. <_<

Yeah it's in. I didn't get a lot of time on it yet. Last ride I busted my clutch hose and was grounded plus the jetting wasn't quite there. this weekend should be the test. it's rejetted and ready to go. I'll be at superstition for the race on sunday and riding on friday and sat. :rolleyes:

Where you gonna be Sat? We're gonna do a Plaster to Ocotillo run. We'll be at Plaster City West, right at the turn off, at 9:15 am on Sat if you wanna ride out and back with us to get some time in.

Yeah it's in. I didn't get a lot of time on it yet. Last ride I busted my clutch hose and was grounded plus the jetting wasn't quite there. this weekend should be the test. it's rejetted and ready to go. I'll be at superstition for the race on sunday and riding on friday and sat. :rolleyes:

any idea how many hours on it before you did the top end? I'm hearing 200-250 hours and or about 7000 miles for a 450 or 525 on the intake valves. Have you done a new clutch ever?

Just trying to get an idea what to expect for mine. Let us know how it is this weekend.

any idea how many hours on it before you did the top end? I'm hearing 200-250 hours and or about 7000 miles for a 450 or 525 on the intake valves. Have you done a new clutch ever?

Just trying to get an idea what to expect for mine. Let us know how it is this weekend.

I was on my third clutch when I did the top end. I would guess at least the amount of miles you listed I didn't have my ODO hooked up for the whole time so I'm not sure exactly. I think I may have pushed it a little farther with 5+ years and 3+ race seasons.

Strega-I'll be on the pole line road at superstition. not too far from where you guys camped last time. If you guys want to stop by Sat. I'd head over to OW with you. Just look for the OTB and DBS powder coat Banners on pit row and a tan and cream winnebego mh.

Sounds good, we'll look for ya on our way out. TomH will be out there as well on pole line, roughly pole 10.