Sign in to follow this  
Dress4Less

Gas Tank - Cross Over Line

Anyone know how to / where I can get the new tank "threaded" for a crossover line like I had on the old tank?

This was the old set-up...hose ran from the petcock to the carb...yes...carb...it's an '05 and it had a crossover line that fed the right side of the tank into the left side of the tank...kept the sides balanced...except for when I wiped out of course..!

1_zpsbobhjn9w.png

Here is the fitting...there is one on each side of the tank...they are "tapped" into the tank...no brass grommets to screw into...they screw straight into the tank

5_zpslturemok.png

2_zpsbxntknxv.png

6_zpswee88ulk.png

3_zpshben1cbs.png

Any advice on how to accomplish the threading and/or where to have it done is appreciated! Thanks...

Looks like just standard pipe threads a regular tap should work with some oil and gas resistant (yellow) thread pipe tape.

Thanks BP......I am NOT a mechanic by any means...any suggestions on where to get a tap for this specific job? Do I take the fitting in somewhere to get the correct size/thread tap? Do I use a standard drill with the tap? It seems like it needs to be very precise...(thread size, hole dimensions, etc.) Thanks...  

Looks like standard pipe, probably 3/8".  Home depot shelf item, pretty sure.  I have a pretty complete set with the bits

Yeah take the fitting in and buy a tap it will tell you what size to drill. Any decent machine shop will probably knock it out in 5 minutes for a little cash. If you cant find it message me 

Personally I wouldn't do it. That looks like an early IMS tank for a WR. I had that setup as well for awhile on my '03 WR. IMS stopped putting it on their later tanks after several reports of bike fires. One I personally know of was a brand new WR that burned to the ground. You guys who hang with Los Ancianos may know the bike. Since there's no valve on the crossover tube if it leaks there's no way to stop the flow. If fuel hit's the hot header which is very close by it's game over. The holes are standard 1/8" NPT.

Thanks guys! ;) Excellent feedback! :thumbsup_anim: I'm just trying to avoid as much "tipping the bike over" to get gas to the left side as possible (if I am running low.) It's happened on a few rides in Baja and Arizona. I need gas by ~120 miles (depending on ride mode), sometimes I'll carry a little extra. I understand the "leak" concern Randy...that is a great point. I have had people ask me if I have had any leak issues from the fittings...Mr. Yah Yah...that is a very interesting option...hhhmmmnnn...one less "tapped" hole to deal with...new tank is going on tonight!  :smile_anim:

1 hour ago, Dress4Less said:

Thanks guys! ;) Excellent feedback! :thumbsup_anim: I'm just trying to avoid as much "tipping the bike over" to get gas to the left side as possible (if I am running low.) It's happened on a few rides in Baja and Arizona. I need gas by ~120 miles (depending on ride mode), sometimes I'll carry a little extra. I understand the "leak" concern Randy...that is a great point. I have had people ask me if I have had any leak issues from the fittings...Mr. Yah Yah...that is a very interesting option...hhhmmmnnn...one less "tapped" hole to deal with...new tank is going on tonight!  :smile_anim:

I used a tee as was suggested and I also had a mini valve on the other connection so I could isolate the tank. It will work as you described but just watch it carefully. Not IMS's finest design. I may still have the valve if I can dig it up. It was built into the right angle hose barb fitting. It came on the bike when I bought it so not sure who made it. I later swapped the tank out for an Acerbis which I liked better.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 4:49 PM, PbdBlue said:

me I used a tee as was suggested and I also had a mini valve on the other connection so I could isolate the tank. It will work as you described but just watch it carefully. Not IMS's finest design. I may still have the valve if I can dig it up. It was built into the right angle hose barb fitting. It came on the bike when I bought it so not sure who made it. I later swapped the tank out for an Acerbis which I liked better.

I ordered the Tee and it's in route...Randy - If you find the valve,  please let me know if I can take it off your hands. If not, no worries.

Found it!. It's yours. PM me and we'll figure how to get it to you.

IMG_4012.JPG