Sign in to follow this  
Greenhorn

1997 KTM 360 EXC (Have one or Owned One?)

This bike was not put away as mindful as it should have been some time back, and now it’s time to clean it up and bring it back. I would have sworn I saw this bike in someone’s signature, someone on the board owns one, used to own one.... but now can’t find the signature and figure out who that might be? Or was I was just imagining it? :angry:

Anyone out there that own one or used to own one? 

I would be interested your impressions, setup and any additional information or knowledge you might have? These were quite the bikes

Here it is yesterday after a trip up and down the street and a little more clean up.  It's naked as the plastic that came on it was junk (IMO) and only got worse as time progressed, one of the things that needs to be addressed.  

I don't have experience on lots of different bikes or anything recent, but I think it's safe to say these bikes had some get up and go :blink:

ry%3D480

Super nice machine, last of the KTM linkage bikes until they started making linkage bikes again... by a crazy coincidence I have the 1997 off road champions book at my desk, 1st half of season on these linkage chassis bikes and second half on the new '98 model PDS bikes for the 2 stroke classes.

All the 4 strokes stayed on linkage machines but 2 strokes all transitioned to PDS during the racing season.

For forks some of KTM Farioli (factory) pilots as well as others were on Marzocchi magnum conventional and others were on WP Extreme conventionals. Oddly during this transition period the world championship only had 4 classes 125, 250 2T  and 400, 500 4T, but KTM won 3 from 4 titles.

Watts won 125 2T on KTM

Sala was 2nd 250 2T on KTM, the legend Peterhansel was champion KTM sweep spoiler on his Yamaha YZ250

Rinaldi won 400 4T on KTM

Tiainen won 500 4T on KTM

Your platform is a world class machine from the late 90s. Remember she is old and most likely many of the important rubber parts will be unsatisfactory (carb boot, carb manifold etc etc etc)

My 98 250EXC had WP Extreme conventional forks, I had them tuned from Factory Connection, they were brilliant.

I think UFO Plast still catalogs plastic for the 97 Katos.

That would be me, I have my 97 360 exc still sitting in the garage. The bike rips. I've been thinking about turning it into a supermoto. It would be awesome with some sticky tires and lowered suspension. 

CiD

But Wait,,,Don't see the bike on your signature!  Are U sayin' all the bikes are not on the signature?

:o

21 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

But Wait,,,Don't see the bike on your signature!  Are U sayin' all the bikes are not on the signature?

:o

i think too many to list.