Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

V-Star 1100 flooding, help/ideas?

It's trying to help a co worker get his bike going.  It's a 2006 Yamaha V-Star 1100,  we went through the carbs and figured should be good.  

Now it will fire and  run a few seconds, then the rear cylinder floods out and fills the airbox boot with fuel.   

The float needle valves are new.  The float height has been set at stock level and even set a bit shallow just as a test.  I'm running out of ideas.  He's bringing by new spark plugs next but I'm not hopeful.  

Any ideas? 

Was this problem happening before you took the carbs apart? If not, I'd say the float needle is not seating properly??

The bike had sat for a year, didn't start.  

This model has a fuel pump.  I still need to try an auxiliary tank and disabling the pump.

Unfortunately, this calls for them to be ripped off the bike again as I'm sure you know ,TNT .

Sometimes the mechanical nature of the floating system can interfere with the operation of the valve closing (or opening ).

Once you have it apart again on the bench(and I know you know alot so I can skip some bs). Check the lateral alignment of the float to make sure it swings and also remove hinge pin and scour , return the float adjustment tang to its perpendicular factory position , check the tang for excessive wear  at the place where the vavle rides up and down on the tang. Sand this smooth or use a knife to de-bur it , if worn.

Rexamine the valve sides for wear because they can "hang up" on the sides of the valve guide.

Clean and re-examine the inside of the valve guide with a que tip & carb cleaner.

In the end the valve can be tested with blowing into a tube connected to your fuel inlet while flipping the carbs upside down in your hands.

Always leak test carbs before installing.unless you like removing them.

I'm guess it's the little oring under the float valve guide.

IMG_20160522_082417.jpg

Harbor Frieght sells a black oring kit for $5 that will remedy this situation.

Recommend replacing oring in both carbs..

This oring also comes with the new valve guide & valve . About $32 @ Motoworld.

Hope I was helpful.

Helpful, but all stuff that I have already done.  The float valves are new and I bench tested them.  

The HF o-ring set sorta sucks for fuel, ethanol destroys them quick.  

Even though they've been gone through already I'm still thinking it's a float or floatvalve problem.  There's no other reason for fuel to be coming out of the carb boot like that that I can think of.  Unless the fuel pump is supposed to shut off at a certain pressure. 

I agree, been through the carbs many times and know the floats are good.  

New spark plugs have actually helped a lot.  It runs.