Sign in to follow this  
Dress4Less

Adhesive-Bondo-Glue for Plastic Gas Tank

I discovered a ~1" hair-line crack in my after market plastic 3.0 gal. Gas Tank on my WR450F that is about 1/2 way up the tank on the under side. It is a slow leak, developing a small drip about every 2 seconds or so. I have drained all of the gas out of the tank and it has been airing out for a full day. My question is: Is there a product that I can use to seal the crack? Some sort of adhesive for plastic that will withstand the solvent of the gas? Thanks for any advice / tips you have!

Is it Acerbis? They are polyurethane. There are polyurethane repair kits available.

If not, check manufacturer website for specific type of plastic and get repair materials for that.

See Google, Marshalls Industrial Hardware, Or McMaster Carr.

With that said... it is tough to repair plastic, especially plastic with gasoline in it.

Maybe the dealer / manufacturer will warrantee it?

Best repair may just be a new one.

What brand is it Chris? May want to stay away from that one. :)

I bought a plastic tank repair kit on Amazon. It worked well just make sure you get the right one for the type of plastic your tank is made of.

CiD

Thanks for your feedback BP, Jim and CiD...I appreciate it. I bought the bike used ~4.5 yrs. ago and the tank was already on the bike, so I don't know how old the tank is. When I removed the tank the other night to find the crack, I looked all over to try and find a part number and/or a manufacturer name on it...I could NOT find any! :angry: Crazy...in any event I am going to give BP's $5 suggestion a try before I shell out the three-hundred bones for a new tank...I know, I know...the "smartest" thing to do would be to buy a new one...but, that's why they call me Tanks4Less. :D I'll let you know the results after the weekend...if I'm not burnt to a crisp from a flaming bike that is...:o 

I cracked my Clarke tank before.  

I attempted to plastic weld it, glue it, epoxy... Nothing worked because of the type of material the tank was and the process it went through when it was made.

I went to Just Gas Tanks in Oceanside and bought a new one.

Good luck with your repair...

Over the course of the weekend I was able to apply (and allow to cure) 4 coats of Seal-All to the crack in the tank. I rode around "the hood" a bit, pulled the tank and checked for signs of leakage. Guess what? NO leaks! :D The real test will be getting it in the dirt again...wiping out a few times :o...(which is easy for me to accomplish)...and checking it then. ;) Next paycheck I "may" invest in a new tank...

My last repair lasted until I cross-rutted and crash at the Mojave Preserve... in the middle of nowhere...

I lost about a gal of fuel... made a trail side repair with quick steel and duct tape...

That event helped to hasten my decision to replace...

Yep, I'll have to bite the bullet one of these days...maybe I'll get myself a new tank for father's day! :lol: Decisions, decisions - do I go Hog Hunting 6/17-6/19 (father's day weekend) or do I buy a new tank? :huh: Hhhhmmmnnn...how about both! :D