Dan Diego

The musings of a (new) KTM rider

Something funny that I wanted to pass along...

A former neighbor (military helo pilot) would see me roll in on my KTM and said, "I gotta get me one of those."  He'd never owned a bike before nor ridden much at all.  But he bought a used 990...then promptly moved to the east coast.

He calls or texts me now and again asking bike advice (I know, I know...go easy on me.).  Today he sent this text:

"Going on a ride. Maybe a long one. What spare parts should I bring?"

I responded: Fuel pump maybe, chain & sprockets. How far are you going?

He said, "Just out in the hills by my house.  I'm new at this. What about fixing tires?"

Ahhhhh, those parts! I called and we spoke about the basics. Thought it was cool, though...

Super cool ive got about 2 or 3 buddies from street bike and harleys into dual sports now.

maybe I'm partial... but it really is the best (or worst) of both worlds. Something like a 650 big dual sport can cruise all day long on the freeway and hit the smaller trails... something like a smaller 250/350 can ride technical trails and still ride the backroads just fine... flexible, and easy to fix (usually)

Different people have different perspectives on what a "long ride" is I guess... :-)

A friend was recently telling me about his upcoming ContiDiv ride. I asked what kind of tires he was using, because that's a lot of asphalt.

Before he could say...I said, "Oh, c'mon, please tell me you're not trailering!" 

He is...

52 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Different people have different perspectives on what a "long ride" is I guess... :-)

I can only remember when I went on my first SDAR ride, If it was not for Trophy Hunter I would of been SOL.  Had a flat and I had no tools, no tube, nothing but short of a dumb shi$.  I am sure he really appreciates your input.

22 minutes ago, danrider said:

I can only remember when I went on my first SDAR ride, If it was not for Trophy Hunter I would of been SOL.  Had a flat and I had no tools, no tube, nothing but short of a dumb shi$.  I am sure he really appreciates your input.

I think we've all had that guy who's helped us.  Whether it was our dads, a neighbor, a crazy uncle or even one of these fine SDAR dudes.  We've all learned something from someone else.

I was just laughing because, as you might know, I'm the last person to ask for bike advice.

As an example, I wish I could've captured the look of PMB's face when he saw the electrical work I'd done to my KTM.  Priceless!

4 hours ago, Dan Diego said:

\

As an example, I wish I could've captured the look of PMB's face when he saw the electrical work I'd done to my KTM.  Priceless!

I prefer not to think of it as you electrical "work".

Lets call it an electrical "situation" and move along ;  )