norwegian2015_2016

Replacement of chain and sprockets - Honda XL250R

I recently bought an '84 XL 250 R and have noticed that the front sprocket is severely worn.

I can't see nearly the same wear on the rear sprocket.

Anyway, I might change chain and sprockets soon. Normally I would do this myself, as I have done

on another bike, but the lack of own tools where I live now, makes me have to go to a motorcycle shop.

Anyone to recommend in (northern) SD?

Could anyone suggest what would be a reasonable price for parts and labor?

Is it reason to believe that it's ok to bring order the parts oneself, and bring them to a shop, or should

I let them take care of "everything"?

(Seems like the parts can be bought for 50-60 USD online).

Thanks, in case anyone would like to provide some advice.

You can buy the tools you need for less than a shop is going to charge you to do it.

You can buy the tools you need for less than a shop is going to charge you to do it.

Yes, that may be the case. I am leaving CA by the end of June, and already have a house full of stuff that

I will have to sell, or give away, around that time. Therefore I'm still considering to pay to have the job done.

I saw that one shop in SD mentioned an hourly price of 100 USD for labor. A trained mechanic should probably use

less than one hour.

Then I wonder if it's likely that a repair shop would allow me to bring parts that I bought for maybe 50 USD online,

instead of letting them sell me parts that could be much more expensive, and then use those to replace

the worn parts..?

Or, for all I know there may be shops that provide a good deal including both the part and labor costs. My problem

is that I have little or no idea about who could be recommended.

I lack the local knowledge.

(Had I been in Trondheim, Norway, I would definately know a lot about which motorcycle

shops to go to, and which ones that anyone should avoid.. ;-) But I'm not, I'm in San Diego.. )

Bring the parts to my house and a six pack of cold beer and we'll get in done in an hour.

CiD

Thanks for your very kind offer. That sound like a great thing to me. Bring some beer, maybe sample one, have

a chat with one of the local guys and get the job done!

Thanks again,

-norwegian2015_2016

I was gonna say, there should be no shortage of SDAR people willing to help you out for something that simple. I would buy a sprocket/chain set that has all 3.

I was gonna say, there should be no shortage of SDAR people willing to help you out for something that simple. I would buy a sprocket/chain set that has all 3.

Yes, guess that's probably a good idea. I see that they are available for from 50-60 USD and upwards.

I'm out of town until Thursday,so anytime after

OK! I also got to get the parts.. And beer! ;-) On Friday our house is invaded by three friends of my 15 year daughter, coming from Norway to stay for a week. Might have to take part in a lot of "logistics", taking them around, but should hopefully be able to escape at some time. I might try and send a personal message through this forum.

Yes, guess that's probably a good idea. I see that they are available for from 50-60 USD and upwards.

I appreciate any help, off course, but would also like to contribute in some way, when I can.

Tip:

Soak the chain in kerosene overnight then scrub with an old toothbrush to get off the packing grease. Let the cleaned chain dry for a few hours. You don't want the packing grease on it when you install, it's not chain lube. If left on the packing grease will make a mess and interfere with applying moto quality chain lube.