Chad

STOLEN 2006 FORD F-250

THAT's just the story I wanted to hear! :lmaosmiley::upsidedown:

I'm hopeful, but I realize "recovery" could mean anything until the truck is back in my hands. I'll just keep holding my breath and hoping for the best!

Very much appreciate all the insights, assistance, and "emotional support" from all you SDAR folks!!

The saga continues. . .

A friend and I were out riding and found a jeep way back in the weeds with no one around. Looked suspiciously abandoned.

We checked around and found the insurance card in the glove box. Called the insurance company and sure enough it had been reported stolen. The insurance company requested that I contact the police so they could recover the vehicle.

Not sure why they couldn't do it, but OK, I'll call the police. Turns out the Escondido police didn't speak GPS coordinates, they only understood street address. So they had me call the sheriff's helicopter unit because they might understand this mysterious GPS talk. Gave the coordinates to the pilot and he said they would do a fly by and verify the vehicle was there, and then they would log it as recovered.

They weren't going to come in and get it, just note where it was and set its status to recovered.

Turns out that recovered in this case didn't actually mean recovered and back in the hands of the good guys.

I checked back in over the next few weeks when I rode in that area and the stolen jeep was slowly parted out and eventually vanished all together.

Hope "recovered" has a better outcome in this case.

WOW!! Just Wow! What in the world?! (Not to hijack the thread, but...) Last night we heard ASTREA fly over; then a few minutes later we heard something go bump outside. We look around and find a dude lying under a set of stairs on one of our buildings. I shine my light in his face and ask if he's running from the cops. He commences to curse me to no end. I call 911 and he reluctantly leaves while cursing me at the top of his lungs. Deputies arrive in 20 minutes. He's hanging out under a freeway overpass just up the block. He curses them and talks (shouts) circles around them. Totally non-compliant. He berates the cops at the top of his lungs for 15 minutes. It becomes a one-man black lives matter protest gone wrong.

The upshot: They never even asked for his ID. What? "Yeah, we don't have a right to ask for his ID; and he knows that. If he shows up again, call us, and we'll arrest him for trespassing because now he's been warned." Really? And how will you know it's the same guy. You don't even know who he is because you never asked for his ID. (I generally support LE. Just a bit frustrated with these particular deputies. I think he intimidated them out of doing their job.)

Hoping you get your truck back in good shape.

Oh yeah. The dude is my new neighbor. (Welcome to the neighborhood.)

H-90 "The upshot: They never even asked for his ID. What? "Yeah, we don't have a right to ask for his ID; and he knows that. If he shows up again, call us, and we'll arrest him for trespassing because now he's been warned." Really? And how will you know it's the same guy. You don't even know who he is because you never asked for his ID. (I generally support LE. Just a bit frustrated with these particular deputies. I think he intimidated them out of doing their job.)"

Or they just knew the law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolender_v._Lawson

And I'm sure they knew just how much support they'd get from the public if they stepped just a teensy bit over the line to "help".....

Hard to believe something more wasn't done with the Jeep - THAT is frustrating.

H-90 "The upshot: They never even asked for his ID. What? "Yeah, we don't have a right to ask for his ID; and he knows that. If he shows up again, call us, and we'll arrest him for trespassing because now he's been warned." Really? And how will you know it's the same guy. You don't even know who he is because you never asked for his ID. (I generally support LE. Just a bit frustrated with these particular deputies. I think he intimidated them out of doing their job.)"

Or they just knew the law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolender_v._Lawson

And I'm sure they knew just how much support they'd get from the public if they stepped just a teensy bit over the line to "help".....

Hard to believe something more wasn't done with the Jeep - THAT is frustrating.

Point taken. I apologize for my ignorance. I guess my point is that this guy was not merely a loiterer or a wanderer. He was menacing. They decided to not check for ID before they even interviewed the one who was making a complaint (me). Totally agree about the community support. This protest-the-police culture will be the death of us. When people lose respect for authority and fear of punishment, we are done.

Not a whole lot of additional details since the last update... Followed up with my claims adjuster yesterday. She told me Automobile Club's Mexican liaison is petitioning the Mexican Federal Prosecutor to get the truck back to the US. She said the liaison is hoping within 2 weeks, but that's not a given "when dealing with a foreign government." Guessing the perps got nabbed with the truck if it's in the possession of the federal prosecutor, but who knows.

So I continue to sit biding my time... Still hopeful tho!

Thanks for checking in!

Within 2 weeks? Why is everything such a process. Why can't they just return the truck. Or have the insurance company just give you a check and be done with it. good luck hopefully it gets resolved sooner than later.

This side of the border can be quick. The other side is why we employ 15 people here plus contractors there to do nothing but get vehicles back. Let's just say it's a process.

Update on the truck… She’s been recovered, is back in the states and at my mechanic for assessment and repair. It was brought back to the US yesterday. Truck was recovered within 24 hours of being stolen, but apparently that was enough time to get away with a few things. No real details on what led to the recovery in Mexico.

The driver’s door handle was busted and unlocked from the outside. That is apparently relatively easy to do on a Ford Super Duty. The ignition key switch lock was busted off so the truck could be started with a screw driver.

The perps switched out all the seats and the center console. My leather Lariat captain’s seats were replaced with some crapped-out, ripped seats and the rear 60/40 folder was replaced with a bench seat. They also took both my batteries.

Some of my personal items from inside were gone (hi-quality jumper cables, floor mats, surf racks), but apparently my taste in music was not that desirable… My CDs were all still there. HA!

Overall though, the truck body is in good shape, tires / wheels are still on, and other items that could have been easily removed are in tact.

So now it’s a matter of the claims adjuster assessing the damage and seeing what they’ll fix. Which should be most everything.

Happy to have her back and I know she’s in good hands for repair!

Thanks for all the advice, insights and concerns! I'll be haulin' out to CC and McC again soon!!

Glad she's back, sorry you had to go through all that bs. Too bad there are so many people out there named Richard Cranium !

A guy at work had his VW beetle stolen, same story as you....seats all swapped out. They also gave him a custom primer paint job, changed bumpers and a smaller engine. At least he got it back.

Glad you don't have much damage on your truck.

Thought I'd close this one out... Got ol' Bessie back on Friday, everything put back to normal (ish). Sunday she was back doing what we love most! Thanks again for all the insights, assistance and support!

pic24464_zpse2hmpcti.jpg

I know you said you think they dragged it off, but have you considered a hidden kill switch? This was one of the first things I did when I got my F-350 PSD years ago.

I know you said you think they dragged it off, but have you considered a hidden kill switch? This was one of the first things I did when I got my F-350 PSD years ago.

Yes, thanks! That is the first order of business...

Sorry to hear...I live in PB also. Pretty sure I've admired your truck numerous times.

Thanks! She's home now. Happy for that. Saw your introduction post. Will keep you in mind when we're planning our rides and keep an eye out for posts. You are welcome to join us.