piratemonkey

07 or 08 KTM 450 EXC vs. 08 Husky TE 450

Got a call from GP that they have an 08 Husky TE 450 available. The reason that I am entertaining this bike is because my Baja companion, Britt, is probably going to get one. Seeing how "Team Loctite" is planning future multi-day rides, if two of us have the same bike we can pack parts that both of us can use. Also, John-Mark will undoubtedly become well-educated on the Husky so emergency roadside repairs may be less of a drama.

The only reason I'm not all over the Husky is because there are so many KTM riders -- who seem to love their bikes -- on this list. Must count for something.

I realize people are quite passionate about their favorite marque, but are the bikes really different enough that a mid-level hack like me will even notice? My main goal is to shed the DRZ weight, which either accomplishes. I'm sure either is torquey enough to deal with the goat trails I would be willing to ride. Buzzy on the slabs isn't a huge issue for me since my streetbikes are twins.

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me either one would work well for me. Unless that's not the case...

The biggest thing the KTM has over the Husky is the wide ratio transmission. The TE transmission is about like the DRZ tranny with an extra gear in the middle somewhere. They are both going to have about the same crappy seat, power, vibration, weight, maintenance schedule, ect. The husky is supposed to be easier to work on maintenance wise. I really like the idea of the fuel injection. All I do is bolt on another exhaust can, put the plug in the oxygen sensor and I have another 15 hp. It already has the race map built into the injection.

There is not a large fuel tank available for the Husky yet, it could be a few months. Until then you are stuck with about 75 mile range, or carry extra fuel.

The husky comes with a fan on the radiator, coupled with perfect fuel mixture from the injection, it should not have the overheating problems that some of the KTMs have had.

The husky is a little less expensive than the KTM

The husky is not orange

And the number one reason is that the Husky does not need a rubberband to hold up the side stand :lol2: :bye::lol::P:P

I don't think one has any outstanding advantages over the other. I just sold my KTM 450 a couple of months ago. I liked it so much I decided to get another almost like it, my 2008 TE510

To be honest I can't help but think the TE610 would be a better Baja bike.

If I were to ride Baja in a month I would take my DRZ and not the TE. The TE has a 12.9 to 1 compression ratio. It needs good premium gas and I don't think you can find that everywhere down there.

At 200 to 300 miles I would want to change the oil on the TE, where I would not feel guilty going 750 or 1000 miles on the DRZ without an oil change. I have 180 mile range on the DRZ tank compared to 75 with the TE.

It must be late, I am starting to ramble :o . I am going to try to have the Husky at Gunners maintenance day on Saturday if you want to check it out. :) Ken

Oh yea, and either one will work well for you...

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me either one would work well for me. Unless that's not the case...

Joliet sure is a tough act to follow :lol: , but here goes...

Either one will work well for you but more importantly, either one will work well for the banditos impersonating policia that are running rampant in Mexico and taking the posessions of gringos at gunpoint nowadays :bye: I know I am speaking for a lot of us here when I say that I care about you Zina, so please be careful down there.

If you and your friend are really concerned about breaking down on the roadside, buy Hondas :o

You know I'm a huge KTM fan (duh :lol2: ), but I suggest you get in touch with Steny @ Baja Huskys and pick his brain about maintenance (particulary valve adjustment requirements and ease) as well as aftermarket parts availability. I do think the f.i. is a HUUUUGE plus!

Good Luck and let us have a look when you get it :P

I am biased because I have a 06 TE450, which I really enjoy! The 08 is a different bike, as it is fuel injected and has a new frame. Mine is just a lot of fun because it's short tranny six speeds, feels very powerful, and is a blast to ride. In the road parts it vibrates a lot and is not very comfortable! I have never never had any mechanical problem with my bike. I compared mine with a DRZ400S during a Baja trip to Mike's. The DRZ owner, did not like my bike, it was too loud for him and powerful (acts more like a 2 stroke due to the short stroke). His DRZ felt very smooth, stable, but not too exciting for me... So I guess it depends on rider's preference... If you like the adrenaline of fast acelaration in a light bike, go husky or KTM... You want smooth ride, multiple parts and value for you $ probably a Jap bike. my .02 cents

I do think the f.i. is a HUUUUGE plus!

Why? What do you do when it stops running, pull the computer out and spray it with carb cleaner? :lol2: :bye:

07 450EXC and 08 TE450 are at opposite ends of the spectrum contrary to what most people think. One is a race horse, one is a mule. The KTM has a much longer stroke, is going to feel more grunty at slow technical riding and long distance (desert\street). The TE is gonna feel snappy as hell but not necessarily great on steep slow terrain or on the highway. I rode dirt dames TE and humtythumptys 08 ktm both felt alot revier than my old style ktm. Im just used to lugging my bike around in whatever gear I feel like. I'm sure you get used to whatever you ride...

The TE is the most race oriented bike out of all of them, KTM, husky, honda, yamaha. The new KTM and Hondas are more middle of the road.

With that said, I'll take one of each please.

07 KTM450EXC

bore\stroke - 89 x 72

compression - 11.0

tranny - wide 6

08 KTM 450EXC

bore\stroke - 95 x 63.4

compression - 11.9

tranny - wide 6

08 Husky TE450

bore\stroke - 97 x 60.7

compression - 12.9

tranny - close 6

08 Honda CRF450X offroad

bore\stroke - 96.0 x 62.1

compression - 12.0

tranny - wide 5

08 Honda CRF450R motocross

bore\stroke - 96.0 x 62.1

compression - 12.0

tranny - close 5

08 Yamaha WR450 offroad

bore\stroke - 95.0mm x 63.4

compression - 12.3

tranny - 5

beta

same suspension and italian styling of the husky with the old lug and chug KTM RFS motor.

I just read Kens comments and some other blogs on the TE and looks like the TE comes with a fan and better stock gearing and supposed to be cheaper and easier to work on. 08 TE with FI is prabably the most plug an play option. I can't wait to try yours :lol2:

I just read Kens comments and some other blogs on the TE and looks like the TE comes with a fan and better stock gearing and supposed to be cheaper and easier to work on. 08 TE with FI is prabably the most plug an play option. I can't wait to try yours :lol2:

The 07 has pretty good gearing stock and is easier to work on than a KTM, mostly because it requires less maintanence. Valve adjustments require shims, so you have to measure the shim and mosey over to the dealer to get the right replacement shim, but they don't get out of adjustment very often.

I am partial to the KTMs as that is what I ride. I don't care what anybody say's my KTM is as reliable as any honda. There may be more maintenence to keeping it that way but I've been through three race (D38)seasons, a trip down to Mikes sky ranch, a trip to the dunes, and numerous desert rides. I only was stuck on the race course one time and that was from a burned up clutch (I knew it was going but instead of taking an easy way back to the pits I stayed on the race course to try to finish the lap, my bad). I've adjusted the valves, changed the oil regularly, and replaced two sets of clutch plates but that's pretty much it. Mine is an '03 (purchase Nov, '02) 525 exc. The plan is to do the top end this summer, maybe stick in a 540 kit. That said I'm sure the Husky's are a fine bike also and you listed some very good reasons to go with them. I haven't read much on the new Huskys but I would wonder about the reliability of the fuel injection since it is new. If i wasn't riding a KTM I would be on a Husky or Beta. I prefer the European bikes over the Japenese counterparts but thats just me. If Betas (KTM '07 engines with Italian suspension) peak your imagination check out Vey's in Lakeside they just got a shipment in and they are cheaper than the KTMs. :lol2:

Thanks for all the input. I'll call up GP today to see if they still have that one available so I can take a look at it. If I get it, anyone's welcome to try it, just as long as I get to drop it first. :lol2:

Thanks for all the input. I'll call up GP today to see if they still have that one available so I can take a look at it. If I get it, anyone's welcome to try it, just as long as I get to drop it first. ;)

If you need the specs for spring rates for your weight, I can supply them to you. The Husky is set up for a 180/190 rider and will feel quite stiff. I set mine up quite nicely. It's a must unless you want your teeth rattled out.

I just read Kens comments and some other blogs on the TE and looks like the TE comes with a fan and better stock gearing and supposed to be cheaper and easier to work on. 08 TE with FI is prabably the most plug an play option. I can't wait to try yours ;)

The 07 has pretty good gearing stock and is easier to work on than a KTM, mostly because it requires less maintanence. Valve adjustments require shims, so you have to measure the shim and mosey over to the dealer to get the right replacement shim, but they don't get out of adjustment very often.

I already have a shim kit so I am good there. I was just looking in the manual and after you have the valve cover off and eng. at TDC, to remove a shim you just lift up the retaining clip and slide the rocker arm to one side and lift out the shim. Valve checks even with adjustments should be quicker than changing the oil. For the first time I am actually looking forward to my first valve adjust. Sadly though they say they don't need much adjusting ;) . Ken

I just read Kens comments and some other blogs on the TE and looks like the TE comes with a fan and better stock gearing and supposed to be cheaper and easier to work on. 08 TE with FI is prabably the most plug an play option. I can't wait to try yours ;)

I already have a shim kit so I am good there. I was just looking in the manual and after you have the valve cover off and eng. at TDC, to remove a shim you just lift up the retaining clip and slide the rocker arm to one side and lift out the shim. Valve checks even with adjustments should be quicker than changing the oil. For the first time I am actually looking forward to my first valve adjust. Sadly though they say they don't need much adjusting ;) . Ken

Yes, it's a snap to adjust the valves, not like my KLX where I have to remove both camshafts and lift the buckets to get to the shims, but then I only had to do that once in the seven years that I have owned that machine. I plan on having a peeky-see at my valves around the two thousand mile mark, right at about its fourth oil change that I don't have to use real expensive fancy foo-foo oil for :D

Yes, it's a snap to adjust the valves, not like my KLX where I have to remove both camshafts and lift the buckets to get to the shims, but then I only had to do that once in the seven years that I have owned that machine. I plan on having a peeky-see at my valves around the two thousand mile mark, right at about its fourth oil change that I don't have to use real expensive fancy foo-foo oil for :D

what kind of oil are you using in the husky? weight and brand please. Buying motorex for the KTM once a month is getting annoying.

Yes, it's a snap to adjust the valves, not like my KLX where I have to remove both camshafts and lift the buckets to get to the shims, but then I only had to do that once in the seven years that I have owned that machine. I plan on having a peeky-see at my valves around the two thousand mile mark, right at about its fourth oil change that I don't have to use real expensive fancy foo-foo oil for ;)

what kind of oil are you using in the husky? weight and brand please. Buying motorex for the KTM once a month is getting annoying.

I have been using Maxima, not sure what it's called. Oh yes, it's called premium. Has a blue label and no claims of having any synthetic additives. But I am already using Honda GN4 10/40 in my Kawasaki and that is running so clean and low wear, that I might try it in the TE in a higher weight of course(manual calls for 10/60. Can't find that so I run 20/50). Motorex is great stuff, but too pricey for my four-stroke bikes. I use Motorex two-stroke oil in my EXC, KDX, CR and KX because of how high a dilution you can use and still have excellent engine protection and clean exhaust....and it smells good when it's burning ;)

I am using Shell Rotella T dino oil for the first 500 miles, then it will get Amsoil 20-50 motorcycle synthetic that I purchase by the case.

I am using Shell Rotella synthetic in the DRZ and have had good luck with it. You can get the Shell Rotella at Walmart for a reasonable price. ;) Ken

I was walking back to the building today after lunch and walked by a pair of Husky lawn mowers. I took a look and figured the secret behind why Husqvarna motors are so great:

huskymowerss4.jpg

Your turn Hammer... :D;)

(sorry, I'm usually pretty well behaved, but just couldn't pass this one up!!!) ;)

;):D;) wow

so ken you gonna take the new bike out this weekend?

sorry for the hijack

I did it:

post-1009-1201383070_thumb.jpg

I made myself a deal: if I came out of the last surgery with no cancer in my lymph node (and hence, no energy-sapping chemo required), then I'd buy a new dirtbike. My lymph nodes are clean and I have a new bike. Life is too short!

As soon as the doctor gives me the ok to get back on the bike, let's go!!

:)

I don't know what the bigger suprise is. The talk of cancer or zina buys another Italian motorcycle.

Congratulations either way, they are both good news for you.

Jon

Congratulations on all of the above. :) (been following your progress on PMC website)

Congradulations on the bike, but mostly on the suscessful surgery. last Christmas all the sentinal nodes they checked after my surgery were cancer free also so I didn't have to get chemo either. :)

I did some break-in riding today keeping it mellow and just did my first oil change. Keep an eye on the airbox, the pipe runs very close to it and mine needed some heat tape on the box to keep it from melting.

See you on the trail. :) Ken

I did some break-in riding today keeping it mellow and just did my first oil change. Keep an eye on the airbox, the pipe runs very close to it and mine needed some heat tape on the box to keep it from melting.

The rear tail light literally sits on the exhaust. GP put a bit of asbestos tape under it to keep it from melting immediately. I wonder how many other quirky Italian design implementations I'll find. :)

John-Mark is talking about a western states dual sport trip later this year so I'd really like to be one with the bike before then. Or else be dating a Husky mechanic at that time. :)

The rear tail light literally sits on the exhaust. GP put a bit of asbestos tape under it to keep it from melting immediately. I wonder how many other quirky Italian design implementations I'll find. :)

John-Mark is talking about a western states dual sport trip later this year so I'd really like to be one with the bike before then. Or else be dating a Husky mechanic at that time. :)

I saw the bike and thought it was veerrry sexy, but I never like to buy the first year model of any radical model improvement just for the reasons stated above....in case the engineers rushed things a little. My favorite feature of the new model is the sight glass window. I'm a big fan of checking oil level at a glance instead of a dribble.

I have my rear blinkers on the oposite sides, they don't look too bad and I have about an inch of clearance above the exhaust. :) Ken