amgems

Osmand Android GPS App

I recently loaded this app onto an old Motorola Razr. It's pretty cool. I just did it as kind of a fun project. The thread by Sofaking got me interested.

So far I've just played around with it a bit.

A couple of things that make it not quite as good as a "real" GPS unit. When it loads GPX files it loads multiple tracks all as one track. I guess, if the tracks are separated as individual tracks prior to loading that is not a problem.

The other problems are more related to the fact it's running on a mobile phone. The display is very hard to see in the bright light, and keeping the phone powered up is an issue.

Otherwise, seems like it's a really cheap alternative to GPS.

Anybody know of a way to make the phone more visible in the bright daylight?

Any devices that are more visible in daylight?

Any good 12volt to mobile phone type USB power cables out there?

there are 100dr of 12V 2 USB adapter out . I have a Marine 2 usb outlet hard wired to the bike and in the Tank bag.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--surface-mount-dual-usb-charger-socket--15830482?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-Shopping_PLAs-_-15830482&adpos=1o3&creative=54601694764&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiA-s6zBRDWudDL2Iic4QQSJAA4Od3XxFSc-4u9j09IQ523LkCEXg6uma_uWHyfu9BNSpaFhxoCcebw_wcB

one more nice GPS is the "Here" Ap. free map download and don,t need a Phone date for navigation.

I like it alot. Nice features for a phone base gps. Use a ram mount and have usb wired to the bike so phone stays charged. Dont have too much of a glare issue. Phone is a lg stylo i beleive.

You could also use a rugged waterproof phone (e.g. Kyocera air hydro for about 50 bucks)