Crash_Man

Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route (AZBDR)

I am planning on doing the AZBDR Nov 8th to NLT the 14th on my 1190 Adventure R. At this time I plan on leaving early Saturday morning so we can begin the route Sunday morning. I would leave Temecula early Saturday morning for Sierra Vista, AZ stopping there to spend the night. We would leave early the next morning to start the AZBDR. The start is only 30 min from Sierra Vista. It is 7 1/2 to 8 hours to Sierra Vista. If you want to go we can meet and work out times and go over the map. Below is brief description of the ride. I want to Camp when possible but getting a room a couple nights sounds good also. As it states below tracks are free to down load from the website and I recommend ordering a map. I can be reached at 760-419-1847 or email me.

The official start to the AZBDR is a stones throw from the Mexico border in the Coronado National Monument. This is an interesting area both geographically and historically. It is the center of four major biogeographic provinces: Madrean, Sonoran, Chihuahuan, and Southern Rockies/Mogollon. It is also the site of Francisco Vasquez de Coronado Expedition of 1540-1542. Information about both can be found at the interpretive overlook a few miles from the park entrance. From there, it's a mellow ride along the border fence using wide graded dirt roads before heading north to the small town of Sonoita. Fuel up here for your journey through Empire Ranch - historic working cattle ranch from the 1870s. Highlights: Views to Mexico, Ride along the border fence, Visiting Tombstone & Bisbee. Exploring Empire Ranch Headquarters. Heads Up: Heavy Border Patrol activity, be careful in blind corners. DEEP SAND starting at mile 83 near Empire Ranch. Easier alternate is available. Fuel & food available in Sonoita. Camping available at Parker Canyon Lake & Empire Ranch. Many lodging options in Benson.

The AZBDR is the fourth route developed by the Backcountry Discovery Routes organization for dual-sport and adventure motorcycle travel. This scenic 750-mile south-to-north route crosses the state of Arizona beginning at the Mexico border and finishing at the Utah border. The route has been created specifically for dual-sport and adventure motorcyclists who are interested in exploring Arizona’s remote backcountry. It utilizes many remote dirt roads and leads riders through iconic locations including the Mogollon Rim, Sunset Crater National Monument, Grand Canyon and the Navajo Nation, as well as the historic mining towns of Tombstone and Globe, AZ.

The AZBDR documentary DVD and the water-and tear-resistant Butler Motorcycle Map are available for sale at the BDR store. The free GPS tracks, digital map and the route's FAQ and photo gallery are located on the website.

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/AZBDR

I did this and crashed on the last day. I have the DVD, Map,( if you want to look at the vid and use the map i am good with that) and can tell you a bunch about the route, and one section that you would like to avoid if you are doing this on a big bike, I would call it rock alley, if on a skinny bike no big deal.

I have the map but would like to look at the DVD if it has more info then on the web. I work on Camp Pendleton and live in Temecula so let me know what works for you as far as getting the DVD to me. Thanks.

You'll enjoy this immensely.

Like Dan pointed out, it's best not to crash.

As well, there are some logistics to handle ahead of time that will greatly assist you on this ride. Do some research.

And let us know how it goes!

I'm planning on doing a couple of days with you, somewhere near flagstaff and make a loop ride for me.

Crash_Man - be prepared for the cold, after the first day much of the trip is above 6k feet.

Damn I'm going to be out of the country for this :/ i'm still trying to convience SToke and Shooby to go with me on this route. I think we're trying to swing for march/april of 16. I've got the DVD and map and downloaded the tracks for it. I look forward to your ride report :)

Congrats to you Crash_Man for undertaking this adventure, I'm Jealous! Im definitely going to do the AZ BDR when I have a little more experience under my belt.

As well, there are some logistics to handle ahead of time that will greatly assist you on this ride. Do some research.

What logistics? I know about getting permits for the first part and the indian reservation permit, anyting else besides normal ride planning?

What logistics? I know about getting permits for the first part and the indian reservation permit, anyting else besides normal ride planning?

Permits are a biggie. But the thing that'll really help you is knowing the available detours. Just in case.

I would do this trip again but next spring I think we are doing the new NMBDR. I really enjoyed spending an extra day exploring Tombstone and nearby Bisbee.

Our trip report:

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18229-azbdr-north-rim-area-8-days-on-the-big-bikes/?fromsearch=1

Afry, I checked out your report and you mantioned having tracks to go around the bad rock section. Can you send me those tracks? Buckleycw@gmail.com

Thanks, Semper Fi.

Not sure if this ride is going to happen or not. I can't find anyone that can get the time off to do it. V-Dog will do part of it but I am hesitant to ride it alone on my 1190 R. On my 500EXC no problem but I am new to the Big 1190 and don't feel like riding it without any support until I have more exsperiance.