Sign in to follow this  
Spaugh

650R or 650L?

I know the basic difference, but is the 650R as reliable as the air cooled L? And downside to the Rs? Maintenece etc?

I know the basic difference, but is the 650R as reliable as the air cooled L? And downside to the Rs? Maintenece etc?

Air Cooled = no water pump, no radiator, no hoses, to maintain or potentialy break. Buy the R if you have the choice - It is a better more powerful bike.

Air Cooled = no water pump, no radiator, no hoses, to maintain or potentialy break. Buy the R if you have the choice - It is a better more powerful bike.

I know that the R is water cooled, and L is not. The R prabably weighs less and makes more power, and has a higher compression (10:1 vs 8.5:1).

What I don't know is will the top end on an R last as long? Can I ride the snot out of an R and not worry about it, or will it be more fussy than the L? I don't mind kick starting or having radiators, just wondering about reliability.

Brad,

When I was over there you mentioned that you wanted an L to commute on. I don't think you'd want to commute on an R. It is an offroad bike with a firm narrow seat, the taillight and blinkers will likely be small and non-dot types. The electrical system may be a jumble and not up to the task of being an everyday commuter bike. Many of these are minor things that could be fixed as you go, but something to think about if you plan to ride it everyday. The build quality is better on the L, because it is a street bike. If you don't believe me ask your Honda rep.

The maintenance on the L is almost not required. 3k on oil and 6k on valves. The L is ~40 pounds heavier with less power, but it's as reliable as a hammer (not the Hammon type, but he is a man of his word). The L needs uncorking to run at it's best but once you do it's butter smooth.

I have a riding buddy that doesn't do the valves on his R because it's a PITA.

I've also heard the stock carb in the R is a POS. Hard to hot start and jet properly. Impossible to start after laying it down.

As much as I would love to recommend the L, if you are using it for commute and not dualsport I would get more of a street bike altogether. If you still want a street oriented dual sport, look at a klr, Bmw Dakar.

I don't want it to commute on, I just want something for long dual sport rides and occasional ride to work. Slim seat and spotty electronics don't bother me. I'm too small for a KLR, I've ridden one, and it was too heavy for me.

I'm just wondering if I can ride an R out to the desert and do 200 mile a day rides without killing the motor too fast. If its gonna be a top end every 5-10K, there is no point. If I can go longer, it might work out for me.

If I can find a good deal on a honda I might pick one up after tax return.

I'm just wondering if I can ride an R out to the desert and do 200 mile a day rides without killing the motor too fast. If its gonna be a top end every 5-10K, there is no point. If I can go longer, it might work out for me.

Baja 1000 is what the R was designed for. Durability is better than other bikes, but not as durable as the L(but nothing is). I dont think you can go wrong with the R, but overheating is an issue which can be overcome with some mods. The L is for big people. Just remember "L" is for Legend, and "R" is for retired!

I don't want it to commute on, I just want something for long dual sport rides and occasional ride to work.

I'm just wondering if I can ride an R out to the desert and do 200 mile a day rides....

Can't you do all that on your KTM?

This may be a good question to post at Thumpertalk or 4strokes.com. You'll find a better knowledge base on 650Rs there. Most of us here ride Ls. I can only think of 4 650Rs since I started with the group and I can't even count the L's here.

You next issue to look into is to find a nice, clean 650R that's already plated that isn't going to cost you as much as a year old L with less than a 1k miles. When I was shopping all the plated 650Rs I'd seen were ridden HARD and looked it. Since you can't plate a 650R in CA anymore it has to be grandfathered in and thats a premium you'll pay for on a 5+ year old bike. I'd like a 650R as much as the next L owner, but in the end I gave up looking. When it comes time for a new bike I'm about 90% certain it'll be a Husky TE-610.

Brad, Just buy my 08 KLR650 and you'll be happy. You're not to small, Backhoedoc ain't the biggest guy in town and neither is Pyro. They don't have a problem with the KLR650 anywhere. It's only too much for me because I don't know how to ride. I could ride that bike all day on the road. Just as comfortable as my Harley but more responsive. You will be able to ride 200 miles no problem. You are young and strong. :lol: I am 50 years old and have a few other issues. :lol:

Jon, we really need to get together on a weekday. I'm sure you will go for the Husky after that. :D

I'm sure you will go for the Husky...

I'm sure I will so I'm a tad reluctant to throw a leg over it.

Brad, Just buy my 08 KLR650 and you'll be happy. You're not to small, Backhoedoc ain't the biggest guy in town and neither is Pyro. They don't have a problem with the KLR650 anywhere. It's only too much for me because I don't know how to ride. I could ride that bike all day on the road. Just as comfortable as my Harley but more responsive. You will be able to ride 200 miles no problem. You are young and strong. :lol: I am 50 years old and have a few other issues. :lol:

Jon, we really need to get together on a weekday. I'm sure you will go for the Husky after that. :D

I could ride the KLR but when the going gets tough its too much for me. I still want to be able to ride the bike and enjoy it offroad. The KLR just won't allow me to do that. Yes I can ride the KTM to the desert and back, but its gonna need new valves and rings every year if I ride it like that. I rather truck it out and save on valves and tires.

I've already put 70+ hrs and close to 2000 miles on my KTM and I've only had it a few months. I want something that I can ride the crap out of in the desert and not worry about having to rebuild the motor every season but doesn't weigh 350lbs. What I would like prabably doesn't exist, but the 650R is the closest thing I can see so far.

I'm in no hurry so I'll keep my eyes peeled and see how my taxes come out this year. If all goes well, I might buy another bike.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Baja_690_li_cmykweb.jpg

690enduro.jpg

my answer..

That POS. keeps breaking down. It gets slaped silly by the 1X CRF 450X of team Honda. And they call it the Baja, Ha Ha. :lol:

Not sure how this turned into a orange vs red thread. Thanks Hammer

I'll take the bait and toss some gas on the fire...

Apparently the 450x guys only get about 2000 miles before needing top end work. Thats not even a third the top end life as the RFS motors get at 7000 miles. Put in aftermarket valves in the KTM and expect twice that. Have a look at the honda section on thumpertalk for how long these guys go before a rebuild and then go over to KTM talk and have a read. As for the baja LC4, I have no idea about it???

The 450x is not bullet proof like the red 650s....

I keep riding the crap out of my KTM and it never lets me down. I've put 3500 dirt miles on it in the last 7 months. I'll just ride the snot out of what I got....

DSC00219.jpg

hey brad.

I am in the same boat, i had a xr650r and traded for a DRZ for what i needed.

for the drz400 i just want something i can ride the crap out off it on or off the street, but if i had the cash after my spending on the 530 i would of got a 690 ). DRZ was just a cheaper solution to my problem. main things i like about drz over the XR is the electric start, and the 4000 mile oil change. But if your decision is between the R or the L, get the R. i really like the smooth, tractable power of the R engine, plus it like 50lb less. I changed the oil about every 1000miles and clean the air filter and never had a single problem in 4000 miles, but then again neither has Luke with his L. a riding buddy has a R that has close to 20000 miles without a single problem. i think they both reliable just one has new technology then the other.

so again, to review my humble opinion: get the 690 so i can test ride it! joking do your research and pick what you like..late

690enduro.jpg

my answer..

That POS. keeps breaking down. It gets slaped silly by the 1X CRF 450X of team Honda. And they call it the Baja, Ha Ha. :lol:

post-122-1209572853_thumb.jpg

I agree with bikeslut. this thread is dead. Lets let it rest in peace. I'm not buying another bike unless it has street tires on it at this point with 4$ a gallon driving a truck SUCKS!!!!

Baja_690_li_cmykweb.jpg

690enduro.jpg

my answer..

HAMMER A HONDA :(:( I heard hammer owns stock in honda... :lol: AND He is the pres of the fan club

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I agree with bikeslut. this thread is dead. Lets let it rest in peace. I'm not buying another bike unless it has street tires on it at this point with 4$ a gallon driving a truck SUCKS!!!!

I wish that bike could beat a 450X. I love big bore screamers. I would love for Honda to be forced to build a new 650CRF.X But if you keep winning every race in Baja with a 450, they don't see the need to build a 650. :P

Craig.

is it the bikes or the riders that are winning baja races?

If I were going to buy,

VP400768_1a11.jpg

I would buy one of these red bikes, with the orange motor. :P Should have never rode it. :P I would pick it over my L.

Check it out here, Americanbeta.com.

Or maybe just get an orange bike with the same orange motor and all the aftermarket goodies available for it.

Well since we're adding dream bikes now, this is mine.

FE_650_pers.jpg

Husaberg FE650. Husaberg was purchased by KTM for their engine technology, but continue to operate as a seperate manufacturer. If only this bad dog was street legal. Check out their '09 450. talk about raising the bar...

model.jpg

The engine is tilted forward at a 70* angle. Fuel injected, 6 speed, uber low center of gravity, plastic subframe??? ....

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Well since we're adding dream bikes now, this is mine.

And here is mine. :P

post-465-1209613325_thumb.jpg

is it the bikes or the riders that are winning baja races?

yes...

there's no doubt that Honda recruits the best riders, and pays them to win... but the bike still has to run 1000 miles WFO

And I agree with Hammers comment... as long as the 450 wins, and people keep buying CR450 and XR650s, they would have to be crazy to put all the R&D $ in to a new bike.

Spaugh- you can't kill your own thread once the "which bike is best" can has been opened... and as long as people like me keep bumping it to the top