Dan Diego

Idaho hunter crawls for 4 days after breaking leg. Vows to buy a SPOT

Glad that person was found.

The importance of a gps locator especially if alone. Ive noticed more riders using them(Good call). I finally got one after riding with some guys in idaho. Because of the remote trails, they all rode with a locator. Ive noticed some riders are attaching the locators to their bikes or on their backs. Which is fine if you can get to your bike or you're able to take off your backpack. Recent ride: riding single track. Someone clipped a branch got launched over the bars into a 5ft revine. If he broke his leg or back he would not have been able to get to the bike or his back. The best spot ive found is some where on your chest area. I clip mine to the shoulder strap on my pack.

Good point. I am still placing mine on the bars as I wasn't getting good reception any other place. I'm working on a shoulder mount, but that's iffy, too.

Yup I have the nylon case for mine and I strap it to my hydrstion backpack on my shoulder strap so makes it easy while I'm riding to look down and make sure it's on plus I can tap the checking in ok button while riding.

Attaching it to yourself vs bike always comes up. It's a trade off no matter how you mount/wear it. Mounting it on the bike generally keeps it safe from damage in a get off dpending on mounting location, it isn't attached to you to cause injury ect.

Keeping it on you keeps it close but you could destroy the unit in a get off or it could be the cause of broken bones and other injuries during a get off.

Personally I keep mine on the bike. But then again I ride very conservatively off road. Especially since I ride a big pig of a bike. At the speeds I go most times I'm not going very far from the bike. usually right next to it haha. I don't like having bulky things in my pockets or attached to me. I don't even wear a camel back. I either strap it to the bike or use a Nalgene bottle with hose adapter ontop.

SPOT makes a nice pouch for the new Gen 3. It's something like PMB uses.