Tim's other thread about Baja got me thinking, and since I sensed thread drift, I've started my own.

Suppose you had two or three days to ride Baja solo on, say... a KTM 990 ADV. Nothing heroic at all, just a simple road ride to see stuff and experience culture. Overnight at decent hotels (no need to be parsimonious) , easy days, no night riding. Easy dirt/unimproved road is OK, but not trying to be a AdventureHero- I'll save that for a group/supported rides.

I know little of Baja, been to a few resorts in Valle de Guadalupe, enjoyed Highway 3- nice rural highway through places I'd never been.

Where would you go? Where would you stay?

The route that Tim and I took sounds like it would meet your criteria. I'd have to defer to him for the specifics...

Cross Tecate to Ojos Negros. Ojos Negros to Ensenada. Ensenada to Santo Tomas. Santo Tomas to Coyote Cal's in Eridriea (sp?) Great Tostada food stop in Ensenada on the way out. Great Empanada food stop in Ensenada on the way back.

Scenic... easily doable solo... plenty of fuel... even a place to stay...

Sorry for any spelling errors...

I would do the trip I just planned out solo... nothing my GS couldn't handle.... but I was on my DRZ....

This might sound too touristy, but here goes.

Tecate to Ensenada. South to Erendira via dirt by way off Santo Tomas. Coyote Cal's is a good place to stay the night.

South along the beach to Shipwreck. Hit the highway and go east past San Vicente over to Valle de la Trinidad.

From there take the 3 to San Felipe and south along the coast. Find somewhere to stay (Alfonsina's) or keep going toward the 1.

Head west, hitting Coco's Corner. Go to Mike's for the night.

Head north to TJ and cross there.

Lots and lots of good stuff to eat along the way.

Not touristy- it's exactly what I'm seeking.

Thanks to all so far, and keep them coming!

Dan Diego has a good plan :) but if solo and wanting easy I'd skip the dirt part from Erendira to shipwreck. Instead make your way back to hwy 1 south and when you hit Camalu take the dirt road to Pirates Cove for amazing views from the funky and never quite finished but nice motel on the ocean for lunch.

Actually hwy 1 south of Santo Tomas to Camalu is a nice ride.

I like to avoid Ensenada with its fifty stoplights. Having said that I think you would enjoy Restaurant El Rey Sol, high end French/Mexican seafood and excellent pastries. It's been there since the 40's.

They are building an Ensenada bypass road from Hwy 3 just east of Ensenada to somewhere south of Ensenada but not sure of its progress but it was pretty far along 6 months ago.

There are some cool and funky places to stay/eat seafood and drink in San Quintin as well - Jardines, Old Mill etc.

As always, I defer to the walking atlas who is AFry. I swear that guy has been everywhere I've been...twice.

On a side note, I am again leading a small group of riders from AZ, NM and CA on a 2 to 4-day Baja ride this November. These are routes I'm considering...always opening up the scope of the ride. Keeping it as fesh as can be. The good thing is, most of the guys who go with me have never experienced anything but border excursions and completely enjoy the somewhat touristy routes I've planned.

Let me know what you finally decide on. Truly, you can't go wrong, anyhow.