Some of you might know this area, a place close to my heart.

Every time I ride here, I find something new.

Will be there this weekend, via a long way 'round route.

Enjoy. post-14554-0-41094800-1436297105_thumb.j

Hey Dan, 7 of us will be at Cals on Friday night. What are your plans?

Hey Dan, 7 of us will be at Cals on Friday night. What are your plans?

Are you staying at Cal's?

I didn't plan on being there until early Saturday. But I can head there earlier.

Send tracks.

They're pretty much boring tracks! I usually head down the Bocana road and take the coast, one way or another, south.

There's this ranch I have to cut through to get to the lighthouse. I keep trying to find ways around it. Maybe this time I'll be successful.

Regardless, I'll post the tracks.

(Unless the otherworldly Swedish commune gets me first...)

I may stop by CC and see you guys on Sat night. My plan is to take my 990 from Tecate early sat to camp at punta cabras on by Sat afternoon. Home on Sunday. Riding alone but camping with my son and friends who will be surfing. They are doing a Friday- Sunday thing.

steve

Yeah, that's actually what I had planned. Something similar to that.

Keep your eye out for another 990 right in that area.

Here is my 90% probability plan.

I was thinking of leaving Jamul saturday at 0800-0830. Tecate to Ensenada via that wine hwy and then down to santo Thomas on Hwy 1. The only dirt I planned was santo thomas over to Punta cabras via that back dirt road. Get premium gas in ensenada + maybe a taco.

PM me if you want to ride together. Regardless I will be bailing out at punta cabras to spend time with the young guys.

steve

Hey I might be down for leaving Saturday on my street bike. I'll break off at Santo Thomas. I'm waiting to see if I'm working or not.

Bad news for this area, just got back from there and Rick at Cals told us 90% of the homes have no water and must truck it in IF they can afford to. A large agricultural grower has left and the remaining one is on the ropes because of the water shortage. Says there are over 100 families out of work and soon to be homeless. We rode through the fallow fields that used to be green crops - very sad.

Yup. This has been a recurring problem in that area. Not only with the ag companies leasing the fields but the Americans who own homes there.

One of my neighbors here has a house there. He's constantly having water problems due to the wells running dry.

Sad, sad, sad...

How was the ride Dan?

Almost all of the ejidos south of Ensenada are dependent on wells, not city-provided water.

Communities that have depended on foreign-owned/leased farming groups (Del Monte, et al) have made some tough choices in the past year. Erendira, Valle de la Trinidad and Uruapan, among others, have ceased providing water to the ag groups in order to give the community water (people first).

If you've seen the now-empty large block buildings that house the (largely southern Mexico and Central American) migrant workers in many communities, you'll know that those folks are the first to lose out.

And here's a 1st-world problem they must now content with: Mexico's efforts to build dams to trap water flowing into the Pacific have been stymied by environmental groups looking to protect snipe and smelt and other important species...

Even with the water shortages were experiencing here, it's 20 times worse in those areas.

Sad.

I rolled up Sat night expecting to see a few faces but had Cals to myself - there were some lingering stories about a few moto riders from the night before

Super quiet and very relaxing.....

It really is a shame about the water